Author Topic: Grandma's China  (Read 2753 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Grandma's China
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:25:40 am »
I don't know much about these other than the obvious.  The china belonged to the hubby's Grandma and is at least 40 years old - may be older as it may have belonged to his G-Gma but not sure.  I looked on replacements and see nothing to match the mark - poked around some obvious named patterns but no luck so thought I'd try here.  Don't really need a value as we aren't selling - actually may need to buy a few.
Thanks for your help!  (PS: I'll keep looking on replacements too so if this is labor intensive, don't bother. I'm just hoping someone would know)

Front

Close Up of pattern - is rough - maybe a decal?

Marks on back of plate - The one in the lower left corner looks like an amperstan...

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:40:48 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Grandma's China
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:47:39 am »
I just found one that is close...  Do China Makers do variations of the same theme?

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/F/franconia_krautheim_tosca_dinner_plate_P0000026584S0010T2.jpg
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 11:13:30 am »
Apologies if you get multiple posts, but for some reason I keep losing them.

Hi Oceans,

Yours seems to be called Franconia, either for the design or the artist....

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/franconia-krautheim-bavaria-germany-aida-china

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANCONIA-Krautheim-CARMEN-Cup-Saucer-Set-1940s-German-/130368424268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5a90494c#ht_5511wt_767

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 11:23:25 am »
Your piece is by FRANCONIA/KRAUTHEIM   and the pattern name is CARMEN When searching on www.replacements.co m the company is listed as Krautheim-see Fr click that and you can find the pattern  :) They placed the pattern in diffrent spots within a pattern line depending on shape & size of the piece.  (was that clear or to confusing)  :-\
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:28:19 am by wendy177 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:35:18 am »
Thank you both!!!!  I was searching thru a bunch of patterns and started in the middle...  Was going to take me awhile to get to "C"'s  AMAZING how you guys found that so fast!!  Saved me a bunch of time...  Making a note an putting it in the box  :)

Thank you SO much...

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:38:58 am »
I think Wendy is up on me, as I just found another piece by 'Franconia' but a different design .

You probably have already come across this site, but I stumbled across it by pure chance

http://www.chinatraders.com/newapp/allpattern.asp?cid=92&company=Franconia%20Krautheim

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:47:13 am »
Hahaha Mariok...  then you must have acidentally sent me the right pattern on eBay...  In fact I am missing EXACTLY 2 tea cups.  I'm not going to buy them now as we are packing to move and I will worry about it when we get there but I thought it was funny!!!

I had already put in some time searching and you 2 just popped right out with the answer  :)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 11:50:46 am »
Always happy to oblige  :)

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 12:18:09 pm »
Yup mariok54 you had the correct  maker just helpin out with  the pattern name  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 01:52:04 pm »
Bit of information....this pattern and variations (made by all different makers) were some of the most popular after WWII.

You could buy unmarked versions at the 5 & Dime stores.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »
Good to know KC - I wish they still did sell them in 5 & Dimes so I could get some cheap for the heavy handed steak knife users in my family!!  In the past (with other china) I've just mixed an matched with plain white china-like dishes and let the men use those!   ::)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 02:09:46 pm »
LOL!  Know what you mean!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!