Author Topic: Crystal Decanter  (Read 5559 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Crystal Decanter
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:18:46 pm »
This was a gift to my Dad in the early 60's and he gave to me several years ago. What doesn't show in pics is the overall light blueness of it - it shows up well in dim lights and only slightly in bright light.  It's heavy (3lb 7.7 oz)  There is a cut "flower" in the stopper and the bottom of the decanter (takes up the whole bottom).  If you notice on the neck of the decanter it is etched in an uneven pattern where the stopper fits in.  This is on purpose as it goes down further than the stopper. It's not wear. Dad knows nothing else about this - he doesn't even remember who gave it to him so I have no idea if it was new or used.

Appreciate any thoughts

Edit:  I looked through everything on eBay and one was close but they didn't know anything about it. Am looking at sold items now. Also looked on Cyberattic.  If anyone could recommend a site that would be great too.  Thanks again.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:22:16 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Crystal Decanter
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:12:07 am »
Hi Oceans,

Yours seems to have a slight bell-shape to it, and they don't seem to be all that common. I've found one which is slightly similar, shape, pattern, cut, which is described as Bohemian...

http://retroartglass.com/store/item/1xqkg/Partial_Archive/Large_vintage_etched_crystal_glass_decanter.html

The etched neck is a mystery. There are some glass experts on this site, I think, so you should strike lucky.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:03:15 am »
Thanks Mario..  Yeah I searched a bunch last night for both the decanter and the other glasses I had posted and came up with nothing.  The neck does seem unusual but I don't think there is much of a monetary value which is no biggie to me.  They both have enough family history to make them invaluable.  It's always nice to know tho...

It did remind me why I don't let myself search art glass too often...  I think my wish list is around $10,000 now!  I need to update my signature line to: Oceans...  "Will Work for Blenko"
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:37:28 am »
Hi 'Oceans will work for Blenko' (doesn't really roll off the tongue),

Maybe the answer is to fill the decanter with ....??.....  and the answer will become clear.

There's intrinsic value as well as monetary value, and it's a nice decanter. Saying that my parents had quite a few when I was growing up and I recall thinking how awful they were .... but they do say that we turn into our parents and nowadays I can really admire the quality of nice pieces of glass ... in fact so many things which I once deemed to be 'naff'.

Only a $10,000 wish list ... not bad ... that means you're discerning.

BTW, and I apologise because I don't really know how these things work, but who actually manages this forum? Who started it? How does it continue to exist? It must cost someone some money, doesn't it, or am I just naiive?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 11:23:04 am »
Mariok54....when you say that you turn into your parents.....I am blessed because I have alot of their traits!  I do have a larger appreciation (more so than they did) of passed down items.  Especially when you realize how much things were worth many, many, many years ago and we treat like pocket change today (unfortunately).

As to the forum.....what little I know.....
Ed (aka dontbe) is owner of this wonderful site.  Ed what year did this site start?  A thread or button about the origin/history might be nice.

I do know that Ed has paid a fee for it over the years but hasn't revealed the costs and has incurred them all himself.  This fact especially came up when there was a question about "Google" ads that came up a few months ago.  He does get some monetary gains from the ads being on the site, but he isn't going to the bank and most likely just about covering the costs.  (They pop up for every ? so-many-searches on the site).  I am glad for advertising and it's value to him.  Railman44 was our first Moderator. (Which I am so thankful to dontbe for having a monitored site - part of the reason I left the others because of the garbage that was posted there.)  Our super-hero monitor, along with dontbe, is Waywardangler!!!!

When I joined there definitely wasn't this much traffic on the shop.  There were individuals (dontbe, D&b, Railman44, cogar, texasbadger, Chris Marshall, etc) that were on this site....AND THEY ANSWERED POSTS!!!!  Like others comment about other sites....the others were old, stale and people don't reply!  I love how this site has become #1, I believe you can correct me on this dontbe, on the search sites!

I had developed a love for the valued and older things that my family passed down and found that I could answer questions that people listed (was a slap in the face to realize the things they were calling antique were things I grew up with). I got hooked!  

Even tho I have never met a single person on here "face-to-face" they are my every-day antiquers -  who so willingly give of their time and most-valued knowledge to help others (and don't think we don't do this for ourselves....it keeps us keen...and there is always something new to learn).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 11:26:28 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:49:13 am »
Thanks for that KC ... It has certainly more than answered my questions.

I can actually say that I enjoy this forum, and have learnt a hell of a lot in such a short period of time. Going back to turning into our parents, I am a baby boomer, and the odd thing is that my parents wanted everything brand spanking new (although my father had a lust for anything old), and the sort of environment in which I grew up in (over here in the UK) is now deemed retro and trendy... but I hanker for the 'old' the 'past' ... Some people opt for the 'new', something that no-one has ever owned before, but I love the knowledge that someone, maybe many 'someones' have owned or lived in it before (but I draw a line when it comes to my undergarments) ...

It can perhaps prove expensive ... and not so practical.... When I bought this house that I am now in I had a choice of a 1930's 4 bedroom housein the next village, or this one, a two-up - four - down which was built between 1650 and 1900 (in 1650 it was just a one up one down farm workers cottage) .. opted for this one and it takes up every spare penny to keep it inhabitable!!!  But we love it :)

Apologies to all...especially to you Oceans...  I seem to have gone off track somehow
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:09:00 pm by mariok54 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 12:13:43 pm »
Not at all Mario...  Would be a fun thread to hear how everyone got interested.  I too get a sinking feeling about the throw away society we have become.  That thought hit me going through my Gpa's workshop after he had passed.  It amazed me how he had repurposed many, many things instead of buying new -much of his homemade stuff works better and I still use today.  (Thinking about Cougar's lawnmower blades now :)  )

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 12:19:18 pm »
Regarding the question about the 'etching' for the stopper on your item :

It's really a result of a grinding process; often the stopper & neck were ground at the same time & then numbered identically (so that they could be sold/shipped together). This is not always the case with mass-produced items, as sometimes there's just a 'universal jig' for the stoppers/containers.

The irregularities you see in the neck grind are a result of the variances of thickness/texture within the glass/crystal neck itself.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 12:35:23 pm »
Interesting Sara...  Is your opinion that this was mass produced?  I stuck my finger down there and could feel how it would  be due to irregularities.  The neck etching extends beyond the stopper and the stopper doesn't fully seat (altho maybe not supposed to)

Is your opinion that this was mass produced?

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 12:44:46 pm »
Hi Oceans,
I'm not sure whether that is what Sara meant, but even if it is then don't forget that 'mass produced' when discussing cut crystal is not the same as say baked beans... or moulded glass. You could say that some Swarovski figures are 'mass produced' but the cutting is still (I think) individual... and we have a few Swarovski figures, some repeats which are slightly different from each other.
I believe that you have a nice piece there, although it is impossible to say what it is without actually handling it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:28:18 pm by mariok54 »

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 09:21:54 pm »
Kinda hard for me to tell from your images, Oceans64 , but it seems more like a cast-glass item, with some elements that have been ground (stopper, neck & lip).

I'd suggest looking for a seam or three, from a glass mold, on the outside of the decanter.

Usually 'ground crystal' has got fairly sharp edges & very flat ground surfaces (as well as concave & convex ones), from the time-consuming manufacturing process.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 09:34:26 pm »
HA!!!  Sara!!  I read your post and looked up at the decanter and saw 2 thin seams right away. A quick turn and saw a third.  I can see them (in this light) at the very top of the decanter where it gets wide and the stopper goes in. I didn't notice them before. If you use your imagination, you can almost see them in the pic below.

So it is cast glass?

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 09:42:01 pm »
Yup , cast glass !

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 11:25:04 pm »
    Just had to add a few commits here to this thread.  Your decanter is considered pressed.  It could still be Crystal.  You have Glass, made basically with a silicon type sand  Crystal is just another type of glass.  Next is Crystal Glass which must contain at least 10% Zinc, Barium, and or Potash.  Then you have lead Crystal with contains 30% Lead oxide, legally must have at least 24% to be considered Lead Crystal.  As for the manufacturing process is the same.  A good way to see if you have a crystal or Glass is a simple tap of the glass.  Espically Lead crystal will have a ring, glass a thud and Crystal kind of in between.  Tap enough and you can begin to tell.  Also Lead Crystal has a sparkle unlike most glass, espically when cut at sharp angles.  The difference between pressed Glass and Cut glass has to do with the Design on the bottle.  If the design was pressed in the mold it is pressed, where as Cut Glass or Crystal is actually cut into the glass after the mold.  From the looks of the picture you have pressed Crystal glass, note the color sparkle in the Diamond point pattern of the body.  Just thought this would clear up some confusion.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 01:28:29 am »
Well done Sara... from the photos it didn't occur to me that it might be pressed or molded .. we certainly live and learn.