Author Topic: Old Old Piano Stool  (Read 5986 times)

wdtanner

• View Profile
Old Old Piano Stool
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:29:35 am »
Here's my latest.  In my mother's words "this stool was old when my grandmother got it".  This stool is not in the best of shape - it's obviously had some repair work done over the years.  But I was hoping someone could give me some info on it.  The only markings say "Gerts - Chicago".

So let me know what you think.

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Old Old Piano Stool
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:34:01 am »
Beautiful stool! This style was most popular from the late 1800's-1920's. Yours looks to be in pretty decent shape. On ebay, they go for between $80 and $150. Sometimes more if they are gold gilt or fancy. In my area (Washington), right around $100-$125. Very pretty! I have the bottom half to one, I use mine as a candlestick phone stand. :P Hopefully we can find some company info.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:38:28 am »
Bear with me here.  It's early and my eyes maybe playing tricks  :)  Does this stool have a top to it?  I'm looking at the second pic and it looks like there are two layers...  If so...  Is the top adjustable for height maybe by spinning it?  Also, how old would Gma be if you don't mind me asking so that we have an idea of a start date...  

I like this!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:43:30 am »
This link says they started in 1885. Still lookin'.
http://antiquepianoshop.com/product/164/bush-gerts-rococo-victorian-upright-piano/
Scroll down.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:45:06 am »
It's not your eyes oceans. :)
It does have a swivel top that usually adjusted height as well. But some just spin.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 09:31:52 am »
You probably have already seen this but John Gerts died in 1913 so the stool would be prior to that.  I saw one post on Wortpoint that said he was in biz for himself between 1882 and 1885. After that he joined with the Bush family and formed Bush and Gerts.  http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/19th-century-gerts-piano-stool-w-claw-glass-ball
I haven't seen anything else on his pre-Bush and Gerts days to verify this. Nor have I seen Bush & Gerts markings to see how they were marked.

From another souce he was still regarded as a piano stool maker as late as 1912 (see link below). It may be that he maintained a separate business in addition to the partnership? Again, I don't know. 

Google Books: http://books.google.com/books?id=e2QEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT22&lpg=PT22&dq=%22john+Gerts%22+piano+stool&source=bl&ots=86_wbzI358&sig=IsYBa45D8l653o27Dh6gmdzxjjg&hl=en&ei=5pHFTMG2NJD4swPB-dChDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22john%20Gerts%22%20piano%20stool&f=false
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

wdtanner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:46:47 am »
yes, the top does adjust and come off by spinning.  As for grandma's age, I'm really not sure because I never met her, this is my MOM'S grandmother, and my mom is in her late 50s.  Mom says that her grandmother had this stool "for as far back as she can remember". 

Now, I don't know all that much - but to me, the condition seems to be "fair" at best.  You can see that the seat has been cracked practically in half and repaired.  The legs have been re-glued using that gooky old wood glue stuff.  And the metal feet of the legs are pretty loose.  It's great for decor, but I wouldn't sit on it for sure.  Then again - perhaps I'm overlooking the fact that this thing could be well over a hundred years old.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:07:26 am by wdtanner »

wdtanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 11:19:50 am »
** It should be noted that I was injured taking these pictures.  While trying to get a picture of the top of the bench, from above, I stood on a chair and overlooked the fact that the ceiling fan was running at a pretty good clip. 

So if you've ever wondered about how it feels to stick your head in a ceiling fan, I can now tell you.

... it hurts.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 11:22:05 am »
The 2 level stools were the "improved" model stool.

In great shape they sell for $100+ in my neck of the woods.

Nice ball and claws!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wdtanner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 11:30:25 am »
I dig those claws too.  After a bit of research, I found that a lot of the aucitons are for the claws alone.  So now, yet another antique collection & selling lesson for me to learn: Do you sell the whole piece in "so-so" condition, probably earning less than the piece would have been worth if it were immaculate... OR... do you try to part it out and hope to make more money on the fact that these components might be needed by folks doing restoration work?

It's hard for me to look at these things like cars though... I mean, tearing it down & selling off the parts seems kind of ... like heartless and cruel.  Especially since it was my great grandmother's.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »
You have asked the wrong person when you ask me....I believe in keeping pieces of the past intact if they are in good shape!  Yours is!

If the top was destroyed then I would say to piece out....

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 12:28:41 pm »
I too would leave it just as it is. No refinishing, no dismantling. It's great with all it's history intact, unchanged and unaltered.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 12:36:27 pm »
Judging by where the cracks are, and their size, it'll probably require a bit of restoration if anyone wanted to use it again, but I would possibly consider leaving that for the buyer to do.... or get an estimate for the work and then decide.

wdtanner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 05:15:13 pm »
Thanks for the input, all.  Like I said, breaking it up even in its shaky condition just didn't feel right to me either.  And as with all of the old things I'm handling lately - I won't be making the slightest attempt to clean or restore it.  Completely unqualified.

It is ebay-bound though, so if anyone here IS one of those fix-er-up restoration people I'll give you first dibs.  Make an offer ASAP and I'll be happy to discuss it.

d