Author Topic: Age of a Pie Safe?  (Read 11031 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Age of a Pie Safe?
« on: October 25, 2010, 02:58:25 pm »

Some of you may recall from an earlier thread that I have been looking for a pie safe off and on for a while now. With the possum-belly Hoosier in my kitchen I needed a small one and because these usually held all the baked goods for a family (not just pies) in the days prior to refrigeration, they were usually larger cabinets. These were also usually made to the specifications of the lady of the house. It has been tough to find a small one, but I liked this one right away, as soon as I saw the photos.

I THINK this one probably dates to about the early 1900's- after the days of larger safes with punched tins for ventilation, and before the days of the metal pie safes and bread boxes of the 1920's and later. It looks like half the original latch is missing (I'll probaly look for an antique replacement) and I don't know for sure if those reinforced screens are later additions. Are these storm screens? (born and raised in CA I'm not sure!) I did see one other pie safe that had these in TN.  Let me know what you think.

This one came with kind of a cool "American Picker" type of story, which I'm pasting below:

"...The history as much as I now of it is that; 20 years ago I was "escaping" from the big city and I decided to drive around the country. since I have always had a love for antiques I would keep picking things up. The jelly cupboard was something I found while I was in Ohio, driving the back roads. I had stopped at a little farm store and got to talking to the old fellow there, I told him that I liked old stuff. so he took me back in his barn and showed me all kind of cool stuff, including an old model T truck, but darn I had no place to put that :( I bought the cupboard since it fit well in my tailer. I bought some other cook stuff too. He told me that is wife use to make and preserve jellys of all kinds and they used to sell them but when she died he put it in the barn because he said it always made him hungry to look at it... Oh, I also bought a bunch of veggies from him, probably the best I have had. This is one of the last things I have from that "traveling time" in my life. But I am glad that it will be with someone else who will enjoy it..."

Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Age of a Pie Safe?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:00:15 pm »
Forgot to say the size is height 24", width 26", depth 24".

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:09:22 pm »
To the left of the latch, is that a split where the other part of the catch was?  Is it repairable with clamps and glue?  The pics do not enlarge so I am not sure what I am looking at.  I cannot tell you anything about the grid but I have never seen any storm with grids that small and I am in Wisconsin.  Looks like you have found the right size pie safe for your use.  Enjoy!  Pickers is on tonight!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:49:51 pm »
You sound like the pickers on tv....only alot nicer!

Thanks for sharing the nice story.  Need to attach to the back of your safe.

Agree. Am unable to enlarge photos.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 04:58:17 pm »
I was wondering about that latch too and I don't have an answer to that yet Wayward, but I will let you know when it gets here in about a week or so. It looks like it has had a bit of "jury-rigging" by the previous owners and there may even be a screw still in there. Hard to say from these pics. I decided I was OK with some condition issues. As Goldilocks would say, it was "juuuust right" for the kitchen overall and I had to work kinda hard to convince its out-of-state Craiglist seller to ship it to me, so I decided not to press the issue and decided I was OK with it if I had to leave it alone.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:08:37 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 05:21:53 pm »
Aww thanks KC!  ;D Good idea to attach the seller's story to the back of the safe. I'll do that.

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:22:58 pm »
Sorry for jumping the gun, Tales, I thought you had this at home. :-[

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:50:49 pm »
No, I'm jumping the gun posting before I've got it in hand and can look at this or that.  :)

Sara Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 10:45:19 pm »
On the topic of jumpin' the gun.......

Looks like talesofthesevenseas is about to join the 2k postings club!!!!
 ;) ;) ;)

I am looking forward to seeing whatcha got on the pie safe, when it gets to you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 01:28:34 am »
I have been eyeing that myself Sara Finn.....Just waiting to yell hooray to talesof!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 10:17:22 am »
You mean you guys have endured THAT MUCH of my mindless drivel? Hooray for YOU!  ;)

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:19:42 am »
Tales is going to hit 2K just by replying to our drivel on this post!   ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 11:38:26 am »
LOLOLOL!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 11:35:45 pm »
The pie safe arrived tonight, it's pretty cool, definitely interesting. I tried to get a few detail shots, but the lighting isn't too good at night and my camera is acting up.

Here's the front left side of the door that Wayward was asking about. It has an old skeleton key lock. There is a crack in the wood next to it, but it doesn't go all the way through. The screens are interesting. I've never seen anything quite like them. They are not wire, but machine punched out metal sheets. Looks like they are original to the pie safe.

The back of it is in bad shape. It's water damaged and made of several layers of thin peeling veneer wood. On the inside of it, someone put a layer of some kind of white foam stuff. I may replace the back with a piece of old barn wood or something. It's not noticeable from the front, but since the foam stuff as been adhered to the original backing which is itself falling apart. I'll get some photos tomorrow.

The nails are all different shapes and sizes, square and round head. They look homemade. The wood is blackened around all the nails, and it looks like they've been in there for a long time. Probably whatever was handy when it was made.

Lock from the outside and some screen up close:

Lock from the inside:

The spinning latch is cast iron. A magnet sticks to it:

Here it is in the kitchen

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 11:46:11 pm »
It looks good in the picture!  Have fun refinishing and keep us informed!!!