Author Topic: lovely small Roman brooch that i found today  (Read 4357 times)

jimmy uk

• View Profile
lovely small Roman brooch that i found today
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:43:30 pm »
found this today im pretty happy about it :D

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: lovely small Roman brooch that i found today
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:50:00 pm »
I can imagine... Well done!

What material is it? Age?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:46:18 pm by mariok54 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:54:14 pm »
COOL!! How neat to have access to a place with such ancient history to unearth!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jimmy uk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:56:13 pm »
I can imagine... Well done!

What material is it? Age?

i think its bronze :-/ age around 20 b.c :)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 12:59:56 pm »
Bronze is still great ... not as great as a old one for you, but still great, and just imagine who must have worn it over 2000 years ago!!!

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 01:14:39 pm »
Do you use a metal detector?  I have often thought about purchasing one but the models are endless so it is hard to know where to start.  Nice find.  I agree with mario, just think who must have worn this 2000 yrs. ago!

jimmy uk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:18:08 pm »
Do you use a metal detector?  I have often thought about purchasing one but the models are endless so it is hard to know where to start.  Nice find.  I agree with mario, just think who must have worn this 2000 yrs. ago!

yeah i use a metal detector :) where are you over the pond in the usa?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 01:24:58 pm »
I was wondering what metal dector you use too. I've got a really crummy one from Radio Shack that loves pull tabs and beer cans equally as well as diamond rings. ...Although it did find me a nice 1952 fifty cent piece in a ghost town!

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 01:37:32 pm »
I am across the BIG pond in Wisconsin, USA, jimmy.  I rented a metal detector years ago and searched an old homesite but the best I could do were rusty nails and an old axe head.  It did not seem to screen anything out.  We do not have the historic grounds with relics like your country.

jimmy uk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 01:45:52 pm »
good :D well you have one of the best makes in metal detecting history right on your door step..GARRET DETECTORS.. are the best around at the moment... plus the the best starting machine around the world  (i had one ) for a newbie is a..GARRET ACE 250.. can't go wrong with that :)

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 01:48:21 pm »
Thanks for the tip, jimmy!   :)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 02:03:40 pm »
That should have read 'GOLD'  not 'OLD' !!! ???
My Fat fingers

In future it might make more sense if I just let one of the hens wander over the keyboard!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:46:45 pm by mariok54 »

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 02:32:04 pm »
We had a nice one for using under water when we were scuba diving, but we sold it some years ago.  Argh, I can't even remember the brand!

Frankly, we gave up metal detecting because of all the laws and rules.  Depending on the State or Federal laws, you can't hunt on other people's land without permission.  Anything you find belongs to the landowner, unless you write a contract prior to treasure hunting detailing who owns any finds.  Anything found in the waters around here (especially in Florida, where you might want to go diving for Spanish gold and silver) belongs to the State.  Anything Native American must be repatriated to the relevant tribe -- and if the tribe can't be identified, it belongs to the State.  No hunting on Federally owned lands.  No hunting on State owned lands.  No hunting on known historical sites without express written permission (like, say, a known Civil War battlefield that may not be a State or Federal park, but is known to have been a battlefield).  Any finds of any potential historical or anthropological nature (and since the USA has very little history, that pretty much means everything) belongs to the State, no matter where it is found (even on your own land!). 

That left us with treasure hunting on our family lands, or being sneaky thieves and liars and working other people's lands.  We just didn't have any joy in it anymore.  We're too "goody two-shoes", I guess!  Every find made us cringe with worry about whether we were breaking a law, stealing a cultural artifact, or desecrating a Native American burial site.  Pop-tops were the only thing you could find and be sure you weren't breaking a law! -- unless you put it back, and then you're littering.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »
We have a metal detecting club locally, called Treasure Hunters of Santa Clara Valley, which seems like a good way to be able to do this. They have larger, organized events where they have permission to hunt and even work on crime scenes with local authorities. I was thinking they would be a good way to be able to hunt worry free:

http://www.members.tripod.com/~waipahuhaole1/treasurehunters.html

But I kinda feel like I ought to get a decent metal detector before showing up with my cheapy!

jimmy uk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 03:24:01 pm »
We have a metal detecting club locally, called Treasure Hunters of Santa Clara Valley, which seems like a good way to be able to do this. They have larger, organized events where they have permission to hunt and even work on crime scenes with local authorities.

this is the best way you can do it over here and over where you lot are meet new people, get fit and have a great time! good post  ;D