Author Topic: Vidrio Houze Glass Lighters??  (Read 8119 times)

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
Vidrio Houze Glass Lighters??
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:35:31 am »
Picked these up in IL last week, any idea on the value?? I do have a smoke stand these would look goon on!!

Ole Canal Antiques

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Vidrio Houze Glass Lighters??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:41:44 am »

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:31:40 am »
Very cool! I knew there was 3 types, the 4 paneled, tri Paneled and the round ball type.. I wonder if those were mainly used on a desk top or??

Here is the smoke stand, it does have a metal lighter but wouln't it be so much cooler with one of those glass ones?? Btw, the Glass on this stand was made by Vidrio if im not mistaken??

Ole Canal Antiques

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08:49 am »
http://reviews.ebay.com/DECO-GLASS-amp-SLAG-AUTO-ELECTRIC-CIGAR-LIGHTERS_W0QQugidZ10000000006824132  has some general info on these.  FYI a globe like yours and also missing the lighter had no takers at $24.99 on ebay recently.

It seems these lighters went out of favor because they were so dangerous to operate.  Lighters found intact with cord and lighter are not supposed to be used but only for display.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 01:05:03 pm »
Neat, thanks!
Ole Canal Antiques

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 07:45:21 pm »
   Wow Ole  Is that your stuff in the background ?  :o , I was enjoying just looking at the stuff in the background.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:47:22 am »
Indeed it is Ironlord! I have a shop here in Hamilton, Ohio... Most of our stuff is Antiques for guys (no offense to the ladies) we have had the place for about 3 years, we bought the building restored it and then we started using it for storage. We have about 5 garages full of this stuff.. So i told my dad we should just try and open it as a store and see how it goes, so we did.. We been open a couple weeks..

People been window shopping for about a year and we never knew about it lol, we get people that come in and tell me "OMG!! i can't believe your finally open" lol...

We had one guy come in last week, he told me i didn't have antiques and that the kind of stuff we have is called Mantiques LOL!!! It's really fun, i am only 32 but i still find it extremely fun and challenging + you can't beat the thrill of the hunt. I am big into marbles and i mean big!! I have a pretty big collection of those and old Phonographs.. I think last time we counted we had some thing like 400 old Radios?? Anyways, yea, im into antiques & collectibles LOL!!!

Note: Sorry for the mini bio lol...
Ole Canal Antiques

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:00:34 am »
Very cool Ole... Congrats on opening and best of luck in the future. You make me want to dig out my Dad's old marbles  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 07:41:05 am »
Let me just say, they can be worth BIG bucks if they are the right ones.. They have to be old of course and they have to be in mint condition. Some are rarer than others but i bet i have made over $7'000.00 this year so far selling marbles..
Ole Canal Antiques

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 08:46:37 am »
Here is the smoke stand, it does have a metal lighter but wouln't it be so much cooler with one of those glass ones?? Btw, the Glass on this stand was made by Vidrio if im not mistaken??

I always think of Akro whenever I see that type of glass items. ;D ;D

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 08:56:34 am »
clearing out my FIL's house we found a whole bunch of marbles...I never knew they could be worth anything.  Maybe next time I'll post some pics! ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 01:10:19 pm »
There is a big collector group out there for marbles!!!!!  They have collectors clubs...auctions... .you name it!!!!

I recommend reading the information on this site about marbles....http://www.buymarbles.com/marbles101.html

This has some of the best sites noted....
http://www.atozee.com/web/toys-games/marbles.html

So....have you lost your marbles?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 01:38:36 pm »
I always think of Akro whenever I see that type of glass items. ;D ;D

Hehe!! I have lot's of Akro's!! I mainly collect WV swirls, Peltiers, Vitro's and some Christensen...

clearing out my FIL's house we found a whole bunch of marbles...I never knew they could be worth anything.  Maybe next time I'll post some pics! ;D

Morphy's sold a NICE old Onion Skin last year or the year before for over $10'000.00 so you never know!! Check eBay and when you do your search, filter it to priced highest first.. You might be amazed LOL!! then you might get to looking at them mibs ya found!!

There is a big collector group out there for marbles!!!!!  They have collectors clubs...auctions... .you name it!!!!

I recommend reading the information on this site about marbles....http://www.buymarbles.com/marbles101.html

This has some of the best sites noted....
http://www.atozee.com/web/toys-games/marbles.html

I just launched a website for Marble Collecting, it's getting BIG already.. I have written several articles on marbles and i am thinking of writing a book/guide in the near future!!

In case you guys ever get interested in marbles or curious, here is one of my websites..

http://www.allaboutmarbles.com

it's a forum and the group there is a friendly group of experienced collectors!! If you guys want me to remove my link i will, i don't want you thinking im spamming  :P

Ole Canal Antiques

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 02:47:16 pm »
  KC - That was (almost) NOT funny  :D  I keep Dad's marbles with his coin collection and they weren't there!!  I should mention that ever since he gave me his coins I've had a reoccuring nightmare that I accidentally spent it - No lie, it's awful!!

Never fear I found them.  Went to the site and see that the Band-Aid tin he stored them in is probably worth more.  I did find a use for my flower frog should I ever decide to display tho!

These are the only ones not cat eyes...

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 03:42:43 pm »
Nice, the blue one could be a Marble King... The one with White veins is a Caged Cateye and the other one im not sure of...
Ole Canal Antiques