Author Topic: Worth Keeping?  (Read 5912 times)

marcylove

• View Profile
Worth Keeping?
« on: November 07, 2010, 12:40:26 pm »
My FIL had this antique bookcase which at first I wanted to keep, I could really use one.  But after clearing the books off I noticed alot of scratches, and a replacement shelf on the bottom.  There is a 1" gap between this shelf and the front of the bookcase showing through to the floor. 

Now I would have every intention of trying to sand it and re-stain it...or maybe just paint over what is already there.  The top shelf has a mirror lined back and the glass is really old because it is kind of wavy.

I'm trying to convice hubby to take it, He wants to take it to the antique shop to try and sell...Any ideas what we could actually sell something like this for, even with the replacement shelf and the scratch damage? ???

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Worth Keeping?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:48:56 pm »
Do you think it was initially meant to be a display cabinet? I'm only asking that because it looks to have glass sides.

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:08:24 pm »
yes I believe it was...

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:37:46 pm »
Nice piece. Oak, 1930's or so. Considered a display cabinet because of the glass sides, mirrored back and that slit at the back of the shelves would be a plate rail. Live auction should bring $200 or more.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:43:33 pm »
Is that a grain painted finish that is peeling or is that real veneer that is chipped off?  I do not think this is solid oak so the previous estimate may be off.

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:24:31 pm »
As I see it, it seems that it is solid wood with a stain on it.  But I'm not very instructed in furniture or wood, so I guess it could be a thin layer of veneer, but it would be very thin....

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:32:19 pm »
I think some of the more knowledgeable furniture members should weigh in on this (such as KC, D&b, etc.).  To me this looks grain painted to look like quarter sawn oak.  The bottom board is a plywood replacement (originally glass?) and the top board also does not look original.  That is about all I can tell.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 01:37:58 am »
Wayward....I am glad you can see that top shelf....I have really tried hard to see details on it....

Anyway....I do agree that it isn't solid wood.  I believe by the last pic - close up view - it is a very very thin veneer.

They made display cabinets like this...but made china cabinets this way as well.  So could be either. 

I am wondering if the mirror is original.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 06:05:18 am »
Now I would have every intention of trying to sand it and re-stain it...or maybe just paint over what is already there.

OH MY, .... you wouldn’t do that on a dare, …….. would you? ??? ??? >:(

Wayward is correct, it looks to be mostly “grain painted”.

Iffen it was mine, ……. I would either cut a piece of thick glass (that is if the bottom shelf was originally glass) ……. or a new piece of plywood to fit correctly as the bottom shelf ……. and then put the Old English ‘Dark’ Furniture Polish to it.

Nothing more, just the Old English ........ and of course a good "rub down" with an old T-shirt after it dried.

Marcylove, me thinks you would be pleased with the results iffen you were to do said.

ps: a new plywood bottom shelf would be so "dark" one would have to look close to see that it was a replacement. 

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 07:23:41 am »
Am i missing something?? I know im new here but that piece sure does not look like it's from the 30's???
Ole Canal Antiques

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 08:08:23 am »
KC, I am only looking at the edge of the top board and that looks rather plain to me, compared to all the other edges that attempt to look like quartersawn oak. The front board underneath the top also looks rather plain compared to the rest and is also suspect as being a replacement (in my eyes).  I concur with cogar that if the whole thing was wiped down with Olde English it would look totally different when viewed from 3' away (after the bottom board is replaced, of course).  It would be a nice cabinet for displaying treasures.  I have no idea as to the age.

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 09:34:08 am »
Thanks for the help guys!   ;D Before we take it (wherever) I will wipe it down with old english.  Next time I'm there I will take closer pics.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 11:32:08 am »
Am i missing something?? I know im new here but that piece sure does not look like it's from the 30's???

Olecanal, please note the leg in the 4th picture above and then read this on .... Empire Revival Oak  

http://www.othersideantiques.com/Empire-Revival-Oak-Buffet-Sideboard-pr-18752.html

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 12:07:41 pm »
Excellent Cougar...  I was trying to find the style of that leg...  Thank you!

I found a few pieces where the owner called it Chippendale and even I knew that wasn't right...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 02:31:03 pm »
cogar...  I guess I wouldn't!    :P
That's why I'm here to learn!  Could it somehow be re-veneered?  How would you fix all the scratches?