Author Topic: A marriage? If so, how old?  (Read 1799 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
A marriage? If so, how old?
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:58:46 pm »
Hi all,

I bought this at an auction many years ago. What I am not sure about is whether the top was original, or even whether it might have been reduced in size. It is quite a substantial piece of walnut (c 2' 6" tall) with a mahogany (warped)  top that looks as if it has been nailed down (you can just see evidence of some old flat nails now coming through). Not even sure how old it is.  Anyone any ideas about it?

waywardangler

Re: A marriage? If so, how old?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 02:03:59 pm »
Never seen anything like it...is it a plant stand?  That jug/crock next to it must be large or the stand is short?  30" for a plant stand would be OK.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 02:11:11 pm »
Hi Wayward,

I found the tape measure and it's 29" tall which, I agree, is about right for a stand (we use it as a plant stand now) like this, but it's so 'chunky' and  'heavy', it just seems to be out of proportion. I've never seen anything quite like it. At auction, if I recall correctly, it was listed as Victorian, but I'm not really sure about that anymore.  

The jar is a 2 gallon ginger beer jar, which has a funny history  ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:16:37 pm by mariok54 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 06:44:57 pm »
Maybe the base to a larger table?  Kind of unimaginative but it's the best I could do...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:41:44 pm »
Can't for the story of the "2 gallon ginger beer jar".    Just saying that has a twist  ;D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 11:27:54 am »
I know that you have hurricanes on a regular basis, but over here they're as rare as hens' teeth. I was living down in Kent in 1987 when we had our 'historic' hurricane (it was sad because after a wet summer and autumn the trees were still heavy with leaf, and so millions were uprooted) ... After the storm I was outside on the road inspecting the havoc, we got off pretty lightly with only a couple of dozen tiles having redesigned the car... it was still quite breezy and things were still blowing around, and that 2 gallon jar had rolled down the village road and came to a standstill at my heels, intact!. I left it outside for a week with a notice 'Is this yours?', but despite it being a small village, its owner never claimed it.  But there was a lot of damage, and I suppose a 2 gallon ginger beer jar wasn't on the top of anyone's list of priorities

A total of 15 million trees were lost in the storm, including 10 million conifers, 3.25 million oaks and 1.75 million beeches. The National Trust alone estimated that it lost over 250,000 trees. Thirty of its properties were badly damaged.

If the storm had occurred a few weeks later the damage to trees would have been far less. A mild autumn had meant that most trees were still in leaf, and therefore offering more wind resistance. Furthermore, an exceptionally wet autumn meant root systems were sodden and couldn't hold out against the wind.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:45:35 pm by mariok54 »