Author Topic: Christmas surprise for the lady  (Read 7397 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Christmas surprise for the lady
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 07:19:31 pm »
I went to 3 Goodwill stores, 1 estate sale (small side) and Pacific Gallery Antique Mall where I searched the entire Mall top to bottom AND previewed their Nov 21 Auction.  In all of that stuff I only found ONE Brandy warmer!!  Can you believe that?  I mean Goodwill I understand but the Antique Mall?  There were several booths there that featured bar ware so if they had one I am assuming they would display.  Anyway...  Here are the pics from camera.  It's very plain compared to the other one.  I put myself on a list for the estate sale lady (who does these often).  If she finds one before Christmas, she'll email me.

This one says it was re-silvered.  It had just a few light scratches. And it was the only case in place that didn't have a 20-30% off everything sticker on the case...  Go figure.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »
I was hunting online last night too- No luck! :(
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 07:53:02 pm »
Ocean what a lovely warmer! From the pics it seems to have a very subtle, delicate appearance. Nice find!

We'll have to see 'how much' ironlord loves his lady ;)

:D

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 11:01:43 pm »
That's a nice one Oceans...I'm not finding anything either except for the same boring ones over and over again...

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 11:24:54 pm »
Thanks everyone for looking around, I've not seen too many fancy ones either.  May have to go take a look at the one at pacific galleries, love that place it is just a few blocks from where I work and many times I just wander in a drool anyway, gives me another excuse to go in  ;)   Ocean  find anything cool at my favorite goodwill, I wander how many times our carts has bumped.  Favorite is the one on Dearborn street, then the one in Ballard, Followed by the one in burien, only cause I'm near that one.  Would love to hear of any other really good ones you may know about.   

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 08:17:42 am »
Dearborn is a good one. There has been talk for years of replacing it with a Target.  I lived on Beacon Hill for 5 years and love the area.  The mountain was out yesterday and I forgot how much I missed seeing it :)  I'm in Bellevue now and it has some pretty good stuff.  Yesterday I found a cast iron Christmas "thing" brand new for $6!!  I didn't even know I needed one!!  LOL  Have also found folding tables for the office etc...  Good stuff. Dearborn is still the fav tho...  Holegate is a rat race!!  hehehehe  I look quick and get out.

The warmer was on the row by the outside windows in side a case about halfway down in case you want to look.  It is very pretty and delicate.  Do you ever go to the auctions there?

ETA:  There was a sandwich board out advertising the estate sale at 1701 1st Ave S (I think corner of Massachusetts and 1st Ave S).  Went there and it's a small antique shop with reasonable prices (about half the prices of some things at Pac Gal).  I think their hours are hit and miss tho.  She's the one who'll call if she finds a brandy warmer.  

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:36:36 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 10:13:59 am »
I hate going into those stores/sales because I always find something I want...but don't need....and usually buy it.

Last week I bought  marked "6 silverplate soup spoons" for $7 Only thing...they were sterling!  Yay!!!!!!

We throw a annual soup party and I make 6 - 8 large vats of different soups - depending upon theme. I am making sure all 100+ guests get real spoons to eat with this year!  We make it fun....one year they had to creatively wear new kitchen items (winner was a skirt out of hand towels and runner up was a necklace out of pot scrubbers)...another year it was a boxer short theme....then pj's....  All new items are then donated to the local shelter to help those in need!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 02:15:55 pm »
WOW - That's a lot of people, spoons and soup!!!  What a great thing to do!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »
Yepper, but it gets all our friends over at the same time, by having all the soups, breads, crackers and desserts ready and waiting....our family can mingle and talk and not have to shuffle food back and forth.  AND it also is good for a charitable cause.  Our friends love the idea and can't wait to find out the theme to try and think of the neat way to dress.  We give out a "Soup Ladle Award" to the winner of the contest and the runner up.  We ladle leftover soup into mason jars for friends to take home and enjoy!  I write food articles for private organizations/publications and try out new recipes to include in them during the year!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 04:03:36 pm »
While researching my LBS Co thing, I came across this....  Unconventional, I think you'd need some test tubes, but interesting none the less...  Christmas is coming he may take an low offer....

http://www.rubylane.com/item/516100-SR-0039x20Brandyx20Warmer/English-Sheffield-Silver-Plated-Brandy

And from there we go to Target c2008 for 2.99....

I found this one today at the Dearborn GW and am only posting it in the interest of full disclosure since we know IL's lady deserves better.  That said, finding one is a move in the right direction!!!  BTW...  I did hide it just in case  lol

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 07:22:40 pm »
Looks like I'm going to goodwill tonight  ;D, just after I get out of this crazy place.  Thanks Ocean, I will see if I can find your hiding space  :P

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 07:29:25 pm »
It's on the bottom shelf in the back corner closest to the aisle....  Knick Knack section  ;D :P

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 07:58:11 pm »
Scratch that- it said it was referring me to a relisted item, I jumped the gun and posted. Sorry Amigo. Removing the post above.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 08:04:31 pm »
Thanks tales, I went and look too, Oh well sure we can find her one soon, maybe by next christmas.  I'm still looking but at least got her a GPS unit thus far, now she keeps hinting about this wonder leather jacket she has been watching too, Christmas list is growing  :D