Author Topic: Table Info  (Read 7248 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Table Info
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 01:52:29 pm »
I tried to get better pics but it's not happenin'. The problem is that it's a faint, smeared stamp that is worn down, has a finish over it and is on wood that isn't smooth. The pics are actually better than it looks in person cause I have such a good camera that brings out details.  Just wish I could see that other word because no dates have "SS" in the month. Oh well. I will just have to keep looking through patents for the proper extension mechanism. I just would like to know if it was on this planet during the civil war or made after. I'm just weird like that. ;)
This pic I just took appears to make the bottom date "DEC 11, 1869" Or maybe "14"
This looks extremely close.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=z5lJAAAAEBAJ&printsec=drawing&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

waywardangler

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 02:37:43 pm »
The second number after 1 is a 4.  This is a stenciled type 4.  It is not a 1.  The top of the number 4 goes to the right where the top of the 1 goes to the left.  Then there is a space before the slant on the 4 goes down just as in a stenciled 4.  It does look like 1869 but it could be 18**.  Those numbers are so smudged and this was probably done with a rubber stamp or a single cutout stencil.  The bottom of the characters are all cut off as are the tops of the characters on the top line which makes it very hard to figure out.  I would also be looking at design patents.  If it is in 1869, design patents would be 4 digit such as 3,304. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 02:38:07 pm »
Just had to comment- What a NEAT table!! So much history and that's great that it was date-stamped! That makes it so nice so that you'll never have to wonder. Love the look and the patina, lots of personality.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 02:49:28 pm »
Thanks tales! I can't wait to find old wheels for it. I feel we got an awesome deal. We traded a paintball gun for it. A paintball gun that has been sitting in a closet for 2 years that nobody would buy from us. I ALWAYS ask people if they will take trades right off the bat. Everyone's happy in bartering. We get rid of something collecting dust and they get something they want, too. The guy was actually pretty awesome, had a great man cave full of man collectibles.

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 02:52:08 pm »
Could that second line be Issued Dec 14, 1869?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 03:01:23 pm »
That's exactly what the "SS" word is wayward! You can clearly see the whole word in one of those "wet" pictures on the first page. Thank you, back to google patents I go. I still can't tell if it's Dec 14 or 11 but I think 14 like you said. The stamp is small so I can't see it well, it's about 1/2" tall.

waywardangler

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 03:10:26 pm »
Found it...http://www.google.com/patents?id=kUgeAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&pg=PP2#v=onepage&q&f=false

Top date is Sep 10, 1867 and bottom reissue date is Dec 14, 1869.  Quite an old table you have there. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:12:13 pm by waywardangler »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »
Dang wayward, how on earth did you find that?? I searched "table" and thought I went through them all. Thank you!

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 03:16:26 pm »
I go to advanced search and put in "table extension" and to search all words and then down to issue date to search between Dec 1869 and Dec 1869.  The first one that popped up was yours.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 03:17:54 pm »
Lol now don't I feel smart? I guess I was doin' somethin' wrong. :P

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 04:09:34 pm »
Someone traded that table for a paintball gun?!!!! Way to go Hosman! I will have to try that. Did you find it in the craigslist barter section or was it offered for sale?

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 04:17:04 pm »
It was in the antiques Section, for sale. 99 percent of the time I ask, "Are you willing to accept trades?"...I get a yes. Especially for antiques. Many people selling things in the antiques section are not collectors. They either inherited "old junk" or have no idea what an item is worth. So, you offer them something newer and more usefull and they are usually excited to get the "junk" out of their way. Always ask! That's what the pickers always say on the show. They asked. I usually say, "Are you willing to accept trades? Or maybe part cash and part trade? We have new stuff and old stuff, just let me know what your interests are!" This guy just wanted something to hang on the wall, he doesn't ever plan on going paintballing!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:35:41 pm by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 07:11:39 pm »
Hosman, here is the other patent for your June 22, 1869 stenciled date ...http://www.google.com/patents?id=hOZFAAAAEBAJ&printsec=description&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

With all these patents at your disposal, you should be able to see what is missing and what is original, at least at it pertains to the extension slides.  It seems like you got a really nice deal in the trade.  A c1869-1904 (patents in effect for 35 years) table for a paintball gun.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 07:20:36 pm »
Hosman you're kidding?!! I never would have asked. I will have to try that. I know most people are not collectors, hence the good deals, but I never would have thought that people would be so agreeable to a trade. I would think as long as the listing doesn't say "cash only" it's worth a shot, thanks for the heads-up!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 07:26:29 pm »
Very nice trade for the gun...  So glad you found the info.  Nice going Wayward!!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey