Author Topic: Old Tiffany Ink Pen Refills (Don't Think They Make Anymore)  (Read 8664 times)

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
Old Tiffany Ink Pen Refills (Don't Think They Make Anymore)
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:36:14 pm »
I have an old ball point pen. I believe this was purchased at Tiffanys in the 50's or 60's. Pen measures only 4 inches high. I've had this forever and my girlfriend sort of took it over a couple years ago. Well, the ink has run out and I have been having a heck of a time trying to find refills. Because it is so small I do not think they make refills for this anymore. I have tried a couple specialty stationary stores in my area with no luck. Does anyone know if I can even get refills for this anymore? Thanks!

waywardangler

Re: Old Tiffany Ink Pen Refills (Don't Think They Make Anymore)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 03:36:20 pm »
If you can find the right diameter shaft and point length, it would be easy to cut down a full length one and smash the two little ears in for a spring stop.  That is what I would do.

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:52:11 pm »
You know, I called Tiffany's and told them my problem and they did not want to hear it.They were no help and gave me a bit of an attitude. I actually thought about cutting it down. I am pretty sure they no longer make them, but thought I'd try here just in case someone knew or thought they were still made. Thanks.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 04:03:03 pm »
Marc-Barr, I just enlarged your photo of the refill and I see the end is "belled" for a spring stop.  Find a brass refill, cut the shaft with a tubing cutter, have some paper towels handy to sop up the ink that will run out, and "bell" the end with something like a screwhead countersink or reamer.  Another idea would be to suck fresh ink out of any good refill with a hypodermic needle and slowly refill your old one (slowly so as to let air escape).  I would try the last suggestion first.  Might be the easiest.

Tiffany probably produced a certain number of those pens but did not contract with the manufacturer for aftermarket refills because the demand would be extremely low.  Rudeness was not called for but the $ weren't there for them to care I guess.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 05:05:06 pm »
Im pretty sure i have some refills for those... I can look when i get free of this auction..
Ole Canal Antiques

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »
Hey thanks for the replies. Its pretty much for my girlfriend at this point.(LOL) For the past year or so it was writing very faintly so whoever made these refills did a good job. I think this will be a little challenge for me but I can easily cut regular ones in half. Thanks again for the replies and suggestions!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 07:17:22 am »
Marc, if the asking prices I've seen for similar pens are even half close to accurate, you might want to keep a close eye on that pen!!  :o

mariok54

• View Profile
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:46:50 am by mariok54 »

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 08:39:54 am »
WOW!  Nice asking price on that pen.  It sure looks identical.  Make sure she doesn't lose that pen in one of her Coach handbags!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 10:46:06 am »
mariok54, yeah that's it. I knew it was worth a lot and so does she. She is very careful. I bought this about 15 years ago or so and paid only a couple hundred dollars for it. I was making good money at the time but even back then I knew I got it for a bargain. Hers needs a good cleaning but other than that it's in really good shape. Thanks again!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 03:22:37 pm »
Hi Marc,

It's nice when that happens!  And Sapphire has certainly come up with some good examples, and as she says ... keep a close eye on it!  Well bought!

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 11:02:58 pm »
Holy heck!! I wouldn't throw THAT pen in my purse!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 03:01:58 pm »
Wow!!!!!  Nice!!!!!

Look at the notes on this one for sell....it recommends a refill for it!
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Tiffany-Co-Sterling-Silver-Bamboo-Ballpoint-Pen-/370451478216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5640a0f6c8

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 04:04:22 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:53:56 pm by sapphire »