Author Topic: Need Help Finding Information On A Painting  (Read 4138 times)

newtothis

• View Profile
Need Help Finding Information On A Painting
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:51:58 pm »
I have aqquired a painting of a girl done by Rovatkay. The history behind it from what i heard is it was stolen from a museum in hungary during the revolution. If anyone has any info on this artist or something let me know.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Need Help Finding Information On A Painting
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »
A photo of the painting plus a close-up of the signature might help.
I notice that you posted a message earlier this year about the same painting, and Wayward had a few words of caution, which were wise. However, you did give more information in that last post, such as the stamp on the back saying 'Republic of Hungary'. This is interesting as Hungary didn't become the Hungarian Republic until 1989, prior to that it was the People's Republic of Hungary,and there haven't been any wars or revolutions there since then (the last one being in 1956), but it may just be that they didn't bother with the full title. Also, I'm not sure why a painting that hung in a gallery or museum would have that stamped on the back.especially in English,  so, a photo of the stamp might also help a little.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:34:21 pm by mariok54 »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:53:05 am »
Here is a painting by an artist of the same name, you can check the signatures to see whether they match, as well as the style.

This artist was apparently most likely an immigrant (to the USA), and so if it is the same artist then the story about it being looted during a revolution may be a bit of fancy.

Offered here is a wonderful religious Judaica oil painting that dates from the mid 20th century, around 1950-1960's. The artist is Rovatkay, possibly done by a Hungarian immigrant living in America at that time. It features an elderly male rabbi saying his prayers perhaps in the synagogue. He holds a prayer book, has a tallit (tallis) on his shoulders and a Kippah. (Yarmulke)

Nicely done in a mildly Impressionist style. Very well done. Definitely done by a trained artist, Nice and heavy gilt gold frame.

Signed "Rovatkay" on the bottom right.

Frame measures approximately 24" wide x 28" high x 2.5" deep at the corners. Canvas measures 19.5 high x 15.5 wide.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-IMPRESSIONIST-OIL-PAINTING-RABBI-HUNGARY-SIGND-/380281437240#ht_10224wt_753

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 04:25:44 am »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 06:18:31 am »
HI sapphire,
 Well found. It seems that there are a few paintings out there by this artist (although Newtothis does give two different spellings). I think that it may not be the same painting as in the original post,  back in January, it's described as just being of the girl's head.. but ....?

newtothis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 05:53:58 pm »
sapphire that is the same artist his style is the osame that girl almost looks thre same the signature is exact do you or anyone have any info on him or if his stuff is valuable at all

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 06:25:31 pm »
I've been going through all my art books, and haven't been able to find info on him...nor online....

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 12:38:59 am »
sapphire that is the same artist his style is the osame that girl almost looks thre same the signature is exact do you or anyone have any info on him or if his stuff is valuable at all

There doesn't seem to be anything at all out there on this artist, Re the value of the painting... the signatures on both the one that I found and that Sapphire found are identical, and the one that Sapphire has posted, of the little girl, does not seem to have fetched very much (was it sold for $10?) ... whereas the vendors selling the one on ebay have slashed the 'Buy now' price ... Follow the links and take a look.

marcylove

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 11:23:05 am »
Unfortunately there's alot of amazing artists out there that have not been recognized therefore their art is not worth that much...

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 11:53:54 am »
Marcy is right. If you like it, then the value is in your appreciation of the art. Keep an eye on the ebay one, and see how much that one fetches.