Author Topic: 1890's Low-Brow Chinahead Doll - Need Confirmation its not a Repro  (Read 8188 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: 1890's Low-Brow Chinahead Doll - Need Confirmation its not a Repro
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 08:07:32 am »
With a penchant for fine gowns  ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 09:10:40 am »
I think its a pretty safe bet that it is a girl doll. The hair style is typical of this type of chinahead and from everything I can see she is a very common type, nothing unusual. Boy dolls are much more rare. I had fun doing the dress, I learned a lot from having sewn my own bustle dress last year and just kinda winged it.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 09:14:10 am »
I do have to say you are pretty talented, Tales and that dress looks very nice!  Looks like a whole different doll with that outfit on.  $5.50 was bargain.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 09:18:23 am »
I couldn't agree more...  That would have taken me forever to do with half as good of results...

BTW Wayward, you made me choke on my coffee earlier... lololol!!!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:33 am »
The only image I could conjur up was that of Poppycock from America's Got Talent.  Now there was a Dandy but very talented!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:56 am »
We LOVED Poppycock!!!!!! Makes me smile just thinking of him. If he doesn't deserve a Vegas show then I don't know who does.  I have a feeling he's had more than a few offers.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 01:12:55 pm »
I got an ID on the doll from a doll forum:

"I say you found an antique treasure. She looks to me to be by Hertwig and Company of Germany. This company used stone bisque lower arms that have odd cupped hands. If you look closely at them, there is no definite thumb, so the right and left hands were interchangable (and certainly sped up things at the factory). The legs with the glazed greenish-brown boots are also the type found on Hertwig dolls (they could be replacements, but they are appropriate). Hertwig produced these dolls well into the 1920s and they had machine stitched bodies (the blushing was applied with an airbrush, which suggests this is a later doll). Often the limbs become loose, so someone may have tightened up the lower legs. The body (with the internal wiring), looks like bodies I have had on Hertwig dolls. If she was dressed and well-cared for, it is possible that the body would have little or no wear or staining."

So it looks like she's a little younger than I thought but all original! YAY!!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 01:27:44 pm »
Wow Tales Congrats!!!  That's awesome   ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 01:33:54 pm »
Thanks I'm pretty jazzed about this one. I never in a million years thought I would find one of these mislabled like this.

This thrift store is a little different from most. It is run by a drug rehab program and it is one of the few that doesn't seem to pick through stuff and put them into online auctions. It's about the only one I've been in recently that still carries antiques. I saw a lady leaving with a glass washboard the same day. This place also gets a lot of cobalt blue stuff, so I've been stopping in there a lot. 

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 01:44:52 pm »
Geeze tales, I want to visit that store.
We'll be in your area in June! :P
If it was made in the 20's it's still close to 100 years old, so I'd say it was worth your $5.50.

I loved Poppycock, too! His final act was pretty disappointing but that Yankee Doodle act was simply amazing!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 01:48:39 pm »
Sorry for the hijack, but for anyone who missed it. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXckWBqq6g8&feature=fvst

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 01:56:01 pm »
Oops, I missed your dress tales, great job!! But now that it's in the dress, it does look a bit like a cross-dresser. :D Did we determine yet if it's a boy or a girl?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 01:58:27 pm »
LOL the same could be said of me the way my super-short hair looks these days!! No one has said anything about it being a boy and she's also got a corseted waist so I don't think it's likely.

Will you be here the first Sunday in June? If so we should meet up and go to the Alameda Point Antiques Faire, it's a big one:

http://www.alamedapointantiquesfaire.com/

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 02:07:14 pm »
You know, I think we may actually be there the first week in June! I need to check. We're going for my sister-in-law's high school graduation in Coalinga. It's about 2 1/2 hours away from you but he has lots of family in your area so we usually go while we're down there. Problem is that nobody in his family remotely cares about history or antiques.  :-\ So, if we drive, maybe we can go on the way down there or on the way back. Looks wonderful!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 02:12:07 pm »
It is a good one, and I've only been to it once so far, so I would love to go again. Keep me posted on how your plans shape up. I'm supposed to take a trip around that time myself but it isn't firmly scheduled so if you think you could do this, I'll work the other trip around it. It would be fun to spend the day treasure hunting with ya!