Author Topic: Waffen SS Plate by Victoria?  (Read 7504 times)

Julekpl

• View Profile
Waffen SS Plate by Victoria?
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:07:26 pm »
Hello, I have another question pertaining to WW2 memorabilia. I was looking for WW2 items, especially Waffen SS, Hitler's elite force during world war two, when I noticed this plate. On the back it says Victoria Waffen SS. I don't know much about plate companies, but "Victoria" does not sound like German...but more like English...so is this possibly a fake? Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Waffen-SS-WW2-German-White-Serving-Plate-by-Victoria_W0QQitemZ130453507726QQcategoryZ208QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3910.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5027194741912953956

Thanks

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Waffen SS Plate by Victoria?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 08:34:50 pm »
     There is a Victoria Germany catagory at replacements, I will have to go look around my books for any reference to Victoria (Germany).   Only a couple of things get me about this is being the Elite Waffen SS one would think their plates would be a bit fancy at least, Look like a plate from the infantry mess hall to me.  When looking at the post the seller has a good record, but I noticed someone ask him if the stamp was under the glaze, and basically he thought so.  It really looks like a stamp to me and has some detail loss making it above the glaze  IMO.     

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:06 pm »
Came across this in a quick run through......

http://www.sydneymilitariashop.com/home.php?id=1

"German Waffen SS Shallow Bowl or Dish - Victoria Waffen SS German Waffen SS Shallow Bowl or Dish with Victoria Waffen SS stamp on bottom, Victoria was a German porcelain manufacturer. Width Across: 6 & 1/2" inches.

German Waffen SS Soap or Mixing Bowl - Victoria Waffen SS German Waffen SS Soap or Mixing Bowl with Victoria Waffen SS stamp on bottom, Victoria was a German porcelain manufacturer. Seem to be small repair to bottom. Width Across: 8 & 3/8" x Height: 4" inches."

http://militaria.polarhaven.net/germandishes.php

"Waffen SS Mixing Bowl [top] [bottom]
-Marked: Victoria Waffen SS Large Mixing Bowl. Condition: 9. 5 1/2-6 inches tall. This type of porcelain was used by the Waffen SS in field camps wherever the SS were fighting and in Waffen SS offices. Maker mark description: Porcelain Factory Victoria, Altrohlau circa 1919-1945. The darkness around the SS ruines is only from a sticker that was put there long ago. It can be washed off."        (Seen below)

Julekpl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:11:33 pm »
Thank you very much ironlord. I thought of it being odd that it isn't an all too fancy of a plate...the under the glaze stamp seems suspicious to me. It would be very easy for anyone to find a nice, unglazed plate, stamp it, and sell it as the real thing.

Julekpl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:14:00 pm »
thank you sapphire. Well compared to the bowl, the markings are almost exact, if it werent for the smudge...well I'll try to wait it out on bidding, might buy it for my Dad for his birthday.

Thank you all very much!

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 07:44:10 am »
Be very careful with this stuff, mess hall crockery is also faked, I recently caught a guy at the shows trying to sell Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler china with a scrolled LAH emblem in silver inlay on plate rim.  This was Hitlers bodyguard division.  I told him the china was from a shipping line "Hamburg America Line" but the style is identical to their insignia, No fine china to the Waffen SS has found to be original. Mess hall crockery is out there, be very skeptical should you encounter nice china!

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:03:50 pm »
'Victoria' was the trademark of the manufacturer Schmidt & Co. and actually introduced before WW1. They were located in Altrohlau - the town formerly was in Austrian Bohemia, then became Czech after the founding of Czechoslovakia in 1918. Bohemia (and especially Western Bohemian with its masses of resources) was one of those areas that Hitler wanted "back" in his Third Reich, based upon the historic borders of the Great German Empire. Altrohlau (today Stará Role, Czech Republic) was actually quite small, but a central road and railway hub - hence it was predestined as logistics hot spot (the whole infrastructure was also used for transfers to the concentration camps Tüppelsgrün and Flossenbürg).

Many manufacturers received contracts from the Wehrmacht, the Kriegsmarine or the Luftwaffe (and marked as such) but in this special case the ole dimwit SS-boss Himmler himself wanted one single manufacturer for 'his' items ... hold in mind that he already 'owned' his own factory for figures and items used in old Germanic rites in form of the Porzellanmanufaktur Allach (Bavaria) which already relied on slave workers from the Dachau concentration camp.

Taking into account all the SS barracks, strongpoints and offices that existed in WW2 Germany one can easily see that such enormous amounts of this stuff were produced that faking it is absolutely no option as literally tons of it are still around today (and freely available even in Germany).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:05:30 pm by Chris_Marshall »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 05:10:53 pm »
Great info & thanks , Chris !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:26:52 am »
Nice seeing you around here Chris!

Thanks for the information!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!