Author Topic: Strodivarius Fiddle  (Read 1902 times)

marfaalford

• View Profile
Strodivarius Fiddle
« on: May 03, 2004, 03:57:47 pm »
My grandmother has a very old fiddle, in perfect condition case and all, but we cannot find out any information on this fiddle. We would like to know the history and maybe an unafficial price quote.
The information which is inside the fiddle is as follows:

Murial
Antonius Stradivarius Cremmenfis
Fatiebat Anno 17

The fiddle is complete, in the case, with the original bow. Anyone who could help us find information on this fiddle will be appreciated.
marfaalford@yahoo.com

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Strodivarius Fiddle
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 04:37:27 pm »
:huh: THIS QUESTION OCCUR'S RATHER OFTEN.IT'S A QUESTION THAT CAN NOT BE READILY ANSWERED HERE. THESE INSTRUMENT'S CAN BE VERY RARE, AND WORTH A SMALL FORTUNE. AND DUE TO THAT FACT THEY HAVE BEEN FORGED TO RESEMBLE THE REAL THING. I highly recommend expert help. :huh:  

Tim

• View Profile
Strodivarius Fiddle
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 07:45:34 pm »
I concur with dewain. You need to have it looked at by a professional ;) .......The label, whether genuine or false, in Latin inscription is Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno [date]. This indicates the maker (Antonio Stradivari), the town (Cremona), and "made in the year," followed by a date that is either printed or handwritten. Copies made after 1891 should have a country of origin printed in English at the bottom of the label as was required after 1891 by the U.S. on imported goods.
Inexpensive copies were manufactured by great Italian artists.  Placing a label with a well known master's name was not intended to deceive the purchaser but rather to indicate the model around which an instrument was designed. At that time, the purchaser knew he was buying an inexpensive violin, but as people are again rediscovering these instruments, the knowledge of where they came from is lost, and the labels can be misleading. Chances of having an authentic Strad is nil, but it should be looked at by someone with proper knowledge........Re spectfully......... .Tim B)

Guest_iwilliams

Strodivarius Fiddle
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 05:10:42 am »
I just read that a stradivarius, valued 3.5 Millions dollars!!! has been stolen from the Los Angeles Filarmonic Association. There are only 60 of these in the world all made at the end of XVII Century. Imagine if yours is one of them!. Good luck.  :)  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Strodivarius Fiddle
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 03:06:32 pm »
:huh: thank's I just moved my small fortune. to a large one ! thank's I JUST CAN'T KEEP UP WITH EVERYTHING.

Amy

Strodivarius Fiddle
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 08:43:31 pm »
my father bought a violin from a garage sale this morning.

The owner was an 80 year old man who said he'd had it for 45 years and prior to that, it was his mothers.

The label reads;

Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis Faciebat Anno and then in a type of seal it as his initials as with a cross at the top/inbetween and 1726 below it.

Anyone know where I can look on the internet to find out more about it and to see if its a fake or genuine.

My dad is hoping to find someone to appraise it today, so that he knows whether he has a genuine article or not.