Author Topic: LBS Co Sheffield 995: Does any one know a date?  (Read 12638 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
LBS Co Sheffield 995: Does any one know a date?
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:30:53 pm »
I bought this today with the intention of cleaning it up and maybe seating some glass in it...  or something.  I like things elevated on the table. Anyway, it was unmarked and the cashier priced it at $3 and I grudgingly paid it.  I got home and noticed a mark.  What I have found is:

LAWRENCE B. SMITH CO - Boston, MA Founded in 1887. Out of business 1958 c.  This piece is marked 995  Should I assume the higher the mark, the newer it is?  I found one on ebay...  WAAAYYY better condition and a very high price. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-SHEFFIELD-FRUIT-COMPOTE-MESHED-VERY-RARE-/330496456816?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item4cf31fb870

How should I clean this (or should I)? and any idea of a date...  I haven't found much more than silverware out there....

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: LBS Co Sheffield 995: Does any one know a date?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 05:46:00 pm »
Wow that is a well-spent $3 considering the price it is listed for on Ebay! That's quite lovely and I think you just beat out my chinahead for "Find of the Week"!! I think 995 refers to the silver content and is actually .995
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 05:51:56 pm »
I believe this is silverplate and 995 is the model number.  I have seen the bell date mark on other maker's items and theirs dates to 1950 with the bell.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 06:10:27 pm »
How do you think I should clean it...  Normal silver polish?  I think there is much silver missing and I hate to hurt the copper or make it look worse...

Tales...  I like your doll better !!  LOL  I think the eBay item might be a bit of "Blue Sky"

Wait...  Wouldn't copper turn greenish?  This almost looks like (gulp) rust...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:13:11 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 06:27:57 pm »
Ah, good point Wayward. I wonder if the Ebay seller made the same mistake and hence the high price?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 12:25:43 am »
Agree 995 is the part/item number.

Is it just really tarnished or is the silverplate worn off?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:45:27 am »
All of his pieces were numbered so I'm sure 995 is the item number.

I bit the bullet and started cleaning.  It's taking several methods and much time.  Part of the silver is worn off.  Here's a pic of the progress:

***  BTW - It is sitting on my Cake plate...  The bowl is the inside piece - confusing, sorry..

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:51:00 am by Oceans64 »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 09:50:29 am »
Hi Oceans,

I found this one with the same markings, and they think it dates from the 1930s ....

They say that their number is a Pattern Number 663

http://www.abesilverman.com/A834.html

There is a link for more info on LBS & Co, but there  is a charge .. >:(

They also suggest that the Cross-Crown - Bell is the company's logo

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 09:57:06 am »
Funnily enough, the vendors on the ebay link you give actually describe theirs as Sheffield Plate, which I don't think is correct ... Sheffield Plate is an actual layer of silver on top of copper, and I think later pieces were a silver - copper - silver sandwich. I think that is why they are asking so much for it. Eveything that I've found so far for this company suggests that their pieces are electro-plated.
Someone will get a bit of a shock if they buy it thinking it's Sheffield Plate, but then again I think anyone who knows what it is wouldn't make that mistake.

Nevertheless .. you've got a lovely piece there...  ;)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:02:44 am »
In the mark it says Sheffield (between the bell and the 995) so perhaps that's the confusion? He had a couple of generations of marks from what I am finding. I kinda think it's later since the number is higher.  Not sure if there was any rhyme or reason but you do see a lot of lower numbers with early dates.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 10:06:33 am »
Hi Oceans,

I think that yours is quite early... looking at the Replacements site some of the pattern numbers are in the 7000s

http://www.replacements.com/silver/LSM.htm

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 02:54:30 pm »
Thought I would post my finished pics.  It turned out well considering what I started with.  The pics actually show WAY more defects than you can see in natural light/naked eye - esp. around the base - Probably b/c of flash.  Will be pretty on the Thanksgiving table with a clear glass insert and cranberries  ;D

waywardangler

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 03:20:18 pm »
I'm just wondering if you would use a translucent orange shade dish if the copper wouldn't be less visible?

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 03:54:39 pm »
I tried orange but I don't think I'm a fan of orange & silver (at least the orange I have & tried it with).  The copper isn't as visible in real life as it is in the pic - maybe with the exception of the rounded part on the front.  It's not a show piece by any means. Kinda why I decided to use it w/cranberries instead of the whipped cream.  It'll look more like a reflection than a flaw  ::)  

My original intent was to spray paint the thing and toss after Thanksgiving   :o  Hopefully cougar didn't hear that   ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:02:49 pm by Oceans64 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 04:51:04 pm »
Wow that came out really nice! I am liking the way the copper shows through, then softly blends away into the silverplate. I think it works surprisingly well actually. It will look great on the table!