Author Topic: Nasco - Occupied Japan Silver  (Read 2380 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Nasco - Occupied Japan Silver
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:55:12 pm »
I give up so I'll just ask.  What is this?  I know it's a tray   ;D  But what did it go to?  I have seen smoking sets with trays but not by NASCO.  Mostly I have seen Salt & Pepper Shakers but not with a tray. Tons of silverware. I know they made pottery but I cant find any trays.  This one measures 8-1/2" long and 4-1/8" wide.

Ideas any one?  Maybe I am reading wrong? Silver is stumping me today  :-[

Edited to remove a double picture
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:06:06 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Nasco - Occupied Japan Silver
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 08:05:00 pm »
Sorry for the double pic...  Here's the back

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:06:14 pm »
What a wonderful looking tray, Not sure of it original use but love that Art deco style.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:41:38 am »
My hubby said... "it's just a tray - let it go"  lol  So I am.  It's now a place to set my pie server.   ::)  

Sorry to be such a newbie with these silver questions but is that darker spot in the middle silver loss or tarnish? It's sort of purple-ish.  It isn't cleaning up well and I don't want to rub it more than necessary.  The only silver I have ever had is new and cleans up easily.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:47:55 am by Oceans64 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 06:18:52 pm »
My questions i, "Is it silver plate?"  Even tho NASCO used silver and gold on it's china sets, they didn't necessarily make silver plated items.  I have seen quite a few items marked like your that are an unknown metal which over time discolors and pits.  They also made stainless items.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:31:53 pm »
Ummmm  Good question. I just assumed b/c it's colored silver.  A magnet doesn't stick.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:31:18 am »
If it's silver, it will more than likely have a makers mark or Sterling on it somewhere...
Ole Canal Antiques

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:01:25 am »
I suspect that this is a dresser tray, where the gentleman of the house would put his spectacles, wallet, keys etc. when he emptied his pockets at the end of the day, or the lady of the house would set her perfume bottles, comb, hand mirror etc., although I suspect this is a man's tray because of the size and the ladies trays I believe are usually a larger.

I have seen some tarnish that I thought was silver loss too, it looks and even feels like it, but when you actually polish it turns out to be tarnish and comes off. I only use Wrights silver polish now, preferably the cream, but the liquid is good too. I no longer trust other brands after seeing some leave pale shadow marks behind on the silver.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:05:58 am by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 11:40:01 pm »
Otherwise known as a gentleman's valet tray!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 10:02:50 am »
Thank you for all the help on this... I tried more polish by hand but I seem to be making it worse  ::) 

Funny that it's a valet tray as I originally bought it thinking it would be good for my husband's keys but after re-looking at that wad of keys he carries around I don't think it's big enough - LOL  I'll have to stick with "Plan B" as a rest for my pie server.