Author Topic: Interesting Sales tip...  (Read 4502 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Interesting Sales tip...
« on: November 19, 2010, 08:36:11 pm »
I had to relist this doll... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190469346130&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT  The last time around I had one watcher and no takers.  If you look at the doll you'll see she is a "Happy Birthday" item so kind of specific.  This time I added a Display tip (place her in front of a fun birthday pic you already have displayed) and now I have 4 watchers and 2 people vying for top bid (altho one is my local bidder).  Thought that was interesting.

My Mom's fav saying is "You can't sell imagination".  Guess she's right   ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

Re: Interesting Sales tip...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:44:06 pm »
Oceans, I do not know if you smoke or not but if this is from a smoke free home, I would definitely put that in your listing.  Smoke free is very important to some buyers and with material the scent lingers for quite awhile.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:50:03 pm »
Ahhh...  a good tip, I've seen that. I will go and add that now! Wait...  It wont let me modify...  Is there a limit?  I already added the display tip or maybe b/c there is already bidders???

Holy Moly eBay can be stressful!  LOL
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:54:49 pm by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:57:56 pm »
It is because you have bidders but I will ask the question and you can reply so all bidders and lookers will see the answer.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 09:00:33 pm »
Thank You!!!  I am adding to my other listings...

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:02:25 pm »
Got it and answered! 

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:11:48 am »
Another interesting sales tip I just figured out...should have realized it before:
Put a space between your words and your symbols or people will not be able to find your item when they type it in the search bar. For instance, don't put:
porcelain/enamel sign
or
full/partial
or
vintage-antique.
The site sees this as one full word rather than separate words. It's ok to list it this way as long as you put the words alone in another sentence, then the person will still be able to use these search terms. I just realized it when I listed that little sign. Just thought I'd say that, because something that small may be overlooked. ;)

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 12:23:48 am »
Good tip hosman.  I like to put full names and abbreviation variations in the title or description especially if it is an advertising item and I am mentioning the state.  When I looked for your sign, ebay did not like "artiste" and kept changing it to artist on me.  If you have no bids yet, you could modify the title to include the "artist" spelling.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 12:27:23 am »
I separated out the words and now it has both artist and artiste. I had 3 views in the past 24 hours. Within the past 5 minutes, after changing it, now I have 9 views.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:41:25 am »
Here's a tip, don't use symbols, use strong relevant key words, don't let symbols take up space in your title where you can potentially add keywords.. And of course pictures are always key. I have found that if you keep your description short and sweet and to the point, i get the most out of my sales. If you ramble on and go into some big spill it makes me think i should read further into what you are doing.

Just describe damage if there is any, take good pics, place it in the right category, and use strong relevant keywords = good auction.
Ole Canal Antiques

Chippychap

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 01:51:48 am »
A couple of tips to add to the stew.
I like my listings to end at about 7.30pm UK time. It gives UK viewers time to get home from work and sit in front of the PC. ALSO it give you guys time to get up in the morning for any last-minute bidding.
Middle of the day sees potential customers at work and away from the computer. How many times have "Watchers" missed the end of the listing.
Also, check the finish day. I have missed buyers activity because the listing ended on a bank holiday when folk are out and about.
Thanks for listening guys.
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 02:57:37 pm »
I agree, timing is critical. I often get good deals when a seller has an auction ending on a Superbowl Sunday, Christmas eve or other day when people are distracted.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 06:09:46 am »
Agrees, timing can be a major factor not only on ebay but but regular auction house sales as well like artfact & live auction. Last winter there was a MAJOR snow storm on the east coast that shut down many areas with no power. After all, who cares about some old piece of furniture when theres no heat or light in the house.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 06:15:00 pm »
I thought this was a very clever way to "repackage" an old set of luggage. The seller realized that the luggage was identical to the luggage prop used in the movie "Burlesque" and so he/she marketed the luggage as such and is charging way more than he/she would normally be able to get for it. I have to hand it to him/her, that's a good strategy! It made me look at it, even though I'm not in the market for any luggage!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2115017074.html

-PIECE VINTAGE AVIATOR LUGGAGE...SAME AS IN MOVIE 'BURLESQUE' - $165 (berkeley north / hills)

This beautiful set is striped and leather-trimmed Aviator luggage from the 1940's, when traveling was luxurious. Go see "Burlesque' and the small suitcase in this listing is the exact same one used by the dancer running away from Omaha. Check it out...you can do the burlesque too. Shoot me an email with a phone # and I will get right back. Thanks!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 06:22:31 pm »
It will be interesting to see if the set sells, then we all may have to peruse movies before selling our goodies.  I can just hear my wife now...Why are you laying on the couch watching movies all day?  My response..."I am researching items to list on eBay.  If I see something in a movie that I am going to sell, I will get more money for it just by movie title association."  For some reason, I do not think that would go over too well.