Author Topic: Anyone know about mirrors?  (Read 4666 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
Anyone know about mirrors?
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:04:31 pm »
Hi, Just picking your brains again...
Anyone know how to remove the glass from a hand mirror, short of smashing it?  
I bought this mirror a while back, knowing that it needed work doing to the silvering, but it was a fairly reasonable price and I thought that I could get the work done fairly simply, then give it as a present.
However, I paid a visit to the local auction house, and antique shop only to be told that the two local businesses that could re-silver had closed up shop a few years back.
Googling brings up quite a few on your side of the pond but only a couple in the UK. One only does large mirrors, the other was really far too expensive, the cost they quoted would be almost double what I paid for the mirror.
It is a shame as it could be a nice mirror ... it's Chester silver, 1902 or 1906 I cant quite recall. The mirror looks a lot worse in the photo, in fact there are only a couple of areas the size of a small finger nail that are the problem, and these are beneath the bevel, and it has a slight dint which could easily be knocked out.
Anyone had any experience with one before?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Anyone know about mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:50:04 pm »
Since it is a small hand mirror, maybe it would be more cost-effective to ship it "across the pond" for resilvering? I wouldn't attempt to remove it, I'd be afraid of damaging the metal.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:56:18 pm »
    What I do know is that resilvering a item is expensive.  I checked into have a wonderful tea set redone a while back, wow way more then what it is worth.  When talking to the person On the phone, they sometimes old and Antique stuff to resilver but is most family heirlooms and sometime really musuem quality stuff.  Mostly it seems they do industrial items and parts, many metal manufactures has there own Electo plate machines, so it is hard to find a shop that does it now days.  I did look into the ideal of getting my own machine. because the cost to replate the tea set was half way to the cost of a Electro plate machine, they have some really small home size models, but then getting the silver to plate with is starting to get a bit expensive too.   I almost forgot about the biggest cost to replate is preparing it to be replated, surface must me very smooth and cleaned.  Then the other thing to consider is when it is replated It will look shiny new.  Usually not the best thing for antique, so I forgot all about the machine and replating anything.  Almost always will cost more then the value of the item, and most likey make it worth even less.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 01:08:31 pm »
Since it is a small hand mirror, maybe it would be more cost-effective to ship it "across the pond" for resilvering? I wouldn't attempt to remove it, I'd be afraid of damaging the metal.

Hi Tales,
I did even consider that as an option, but it's quite weighty, probably just under 400g (probably the bulk of that being the bevelled glass) unpackaged, so postage would be quite a bit  :(
Thanks for that info, Ironlord.... it's pretty much what I feared. I'll probably sell it on and the pity is that whoever buys it will probably scrap it for the silver ... as you say, silver is now sky high  :(

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »
Actually Electro plating is not really much too it.   Basically you need the Rectifer and barrels, and the chemical stuff.  This here is a sample of the Rectifer unit, costing in the line of $300.00 or so, These are mostly for Jewely, and the small one can usually do 1 gallon Sized stuff.  Etc, Etc.   All in All this is why it is hard to find someone who does it for replating a personal item.  If you need to resilver, you have the unit in your garage.  Fumes are a big issue here too.

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=1554&cat=516&page=1

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 01:33:28 pm »
Thanks Ironlord ... A few years back I'd have bought something like that with the intention of making it pay for itself ... and it would have ended up on a shelf in the shed  :(  I've now learnt to stick to things I'm already interested in.
Just to show my ignorance .... I'm amazed that silvering can go under glass like that ... I suppose it's moisture that gets trapped?

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 04:42:36 pm »
Well mario, I have never taken a hand mirror apart but I think if you will look at yours, you will see a filler or something like (a cushioning type agent that also acts as a wedge) that , that goes between the glass and the metal rim.  That would need to come out.  It may be rolled cardboard/rafia stuff, vinyl, rubber, or something.  It was probably pliable when packed in there new but is probably hard, brittle, stiff, dried out now.  A fine tipped tweezer should be able to grab it and if you look real closely, you might be able to find the end seam.  If you find an end seam, I would pick an end out to start. A hand hair dryer's heat might make it more pliable.  After that is out, the metal rolled trim should come out and then the mirror.  I am just guessing but that is how your mirror looks to be assembled.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 11:20:49 pm »
You beat me to it waywardangler!  I would try the hair dryer and tweezer bit as well!

I have had a few items replated....not that expensive.  Had a large punch bowl redone and it was surprising economical!!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 12:36:36 am »
Thanks both ... I'll take a look when I get back from work tonight   :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:24:10 am »
I guess we are talking 2 things here.  Re-silvering a mirror and silver plating an item.

I personally have never re-silvered a mirror but have had friends that have done it.  Stinky but very rewarding according to them.  If you perfect it you can charge "an arm & a leg" to do it for hire!  Hey cogar, why don't you post that information on the Special Threads section.    I actually would like to try my hand at it some time in the near future!

Now, I have replaced mirrors with newer mirrors and noo one but me and true antiquers familiar with the quality/depth of glass can tell.  Most people want the crisp new look of a mirror on an older piece.  However, when we get a little older (alot) we can't tell if the unsilvered blotches are the mirror or us!  Giggle!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:25:26 am »
You are right KC, my bad, I read it to be the mirror itself that was bad.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:06:15 pm »
No No My Bad First  ;), I thought the same  ;D

waywardangler

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 12:49:55 pm »
?? ???  It is the mirror that is bad and it needs resilvering.  The case holding the mirror is OK.  Am I missing something?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:46 pm »
Sounds like you are not missing it is I that has missed the point  :-\

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 01:26:53 pm »
Wayward, Cogar you are correct about the mirror being the issue.

Ironlord, I believe you were referring to the silver plating on a tea set - which I also added a blurb about re-plating on my comments.

So.....think between all of us we got almost all things silver covered!  :)

Hey Cogar/Wayward, looked up several sites on resilvering a mirror....this one says you use copper?  (Step 8) Never heard of that one, you?  Several sites say it is...I knew about the gray paint!
http://www.howtodothings.com/home-garden/how-to-resilver-a-mirror  http://www.doityourself.com/stry/mirror-resilvering-basics--everything-you-should-know