Author Topic: when is restoration ok for an antique to keep value  (Read 3754 times)

sugarcube

• View Profile
when is restoration ok for an antique to keep value
« on: November 24, 2010, 02:20:49 pm »
hello-I have the opportunity to purchase a bed that has been restored.

My question is does that alter the value or when does restoration turn into something not good?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: when is restoration ok for an antique to keep value
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 05:27:38 pm »
sugarcube, I think that  your intentions for the bed make all the difference in it's 'value' after restoration.  If the bed is for yourself (or family) and you are satisfied with the results of the restoration therein lies it's value.  If though you are purchasing with the view to resell, then the restoration could alter it's monetary/collectable value.  Depending on whether the restoration was necessary to bring it back to usable/asthetic state then it's definitely worth more than it had been. On the other hand if it was in good, original condition, then likely some (or more) of it's $$ value has been lost.

Just my personal opinion, let's let the others chime in with theirs.

BTW, any pics available of the bed??  ;)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 05:53:24 pm »
Great advice, Sapphire. In my opinion, it depends on what the condition was before the restoration. If it was refinished simply because it had a few scuffs, dings or other minor issues, then it has lost some value and it's original patina can never be reproduced. Then again, I'm not big on restoration. However, if the bed had major issues such as mold, mildew, cracks, breaks or a terrible paint job...then restoration will increase it's value. Not many people want some gross, ugly, dirty piece of junk in their house. If you plan on keeping it for many years, then all that matters is that you are happy with it!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 05:58:03 pm »
Oh, I should have read more carefully! You haven't bought it yet and it has already been restored. In that case, it's already been done and now it's just a matter how of much you feel it is worth to you. Pictures would be great, if you have any yet!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:59:26 pm »
I'll agree with sapphire on the points she has made & add to them that one persons' idea of what a 'restored' antique is can vary alot .

Couple this with the type of restoration skills/knowledge of the person who'd done the work , including 'period' restoration methods & the value can both go up & down as a result of work done .

You might want to find out if the bed has been 'refinished' or 'restored' ... if the seller does not know what these simple terms mean , or what 'restoration' work was done , then buyer beware , especially in the case of real antiques (100 years or older) .

I'd say : take your time & inspect the item thoroughly , looking for repairs that may wind up being only cosmetic where 'structural' repairs really should have been made (stuff like wood putty & fillers , heavy staining (masking a bad repair , etc.) .

Best of fortune on your potential bed purchase , sugarcube !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

sugarcube

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:10:37 pm »
thank you all for all good thoughts, I can't get the picture to upload

2072315777@craigslist.org

but here's the link if it works that way,

special thanks to sapphire

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 06:18:26 pm »
Sugarcube, welcome.
Sorry that doesn't bring up a a picture.  Which city for Craigslist and a little more detail.

The others gave excellent advice.

If you are looking to buy because you like it...then buy it.  If you are looking to invest....make sure it is well done.  If you are looking to get rich........... (just kiddin')!

Many people refinish items to make them "more modern" and get rid of slight nicks/marks which will devalue a true antique.  If the integrity of the piece is bad, then refinishing and restoring can only make an already ruined piece worth more than it was.  Most "true antique" enthusiasts prefer to purchase in original condition, while others who do not like to refinish/restore like it already done for them.

The pic and information will only help you to acquire more knowledge from the remarkable people on this site!

Look forward to seeing your find!

KC
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sugarcube

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 06:27:14 pm »
kc

the city is mpls mn and hennepin county

I hear what all of you are saying=

appreciate all comments

hosman321

• View Profile

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 06:38:31 pm »
None of those match the craigslist email # of 2072315777, hosman.  I looked at mpls and then hennepin in the search but no beds came up in hennepin.  Many beds came up in mpls antiques.  Sugarcube needs to provide more info for a better evaluation, I think.

It is this bed...http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/atq/2072315777.html
quartersawn oak bed, carved lion heads - $700 (St. Paul Crocus Hill)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:43:23 pm by waywardangler »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 06:43:17 pm »
I'm going to second Fancypants' comments, with this addition-

Some people prefer antiques to look like new furniture. If that's the look you want, a restored antique might be just the thing.

But if you're like me, part of the joy of owning an antique is to be able to run your hand over it's old worn surface as you pass by, and to think of all the others who did the same before you. To have furniture that has the warm, dark glow and patina that old worn wood aquires over time. No polish can duplicate that. It comes from year upon year of hands touching it and day after day of sunlight and darkness. I look at a scuffed table leg and imagine little ones pulling themselves up and learning to walk and petticoats that brushed by on the way to the ball. When you refinish an antique you sacrifice all of that.

That said, there are plenty of antiques that are not in good enough shape to be enjoyed without restoration, usually due to having had a rough life. These can be wonderfully fun projects and you can feel really good about giving them a second chance at life. Personally, I like to do these myself because I kind of bond with the piece in the process. I'm a big believer in researching the piece, finding out what would have been original to it and doing your best to restore it using period materials.

Here's a few restorations (and a deep cleaning in the case of the sink) I did that I feel were good candidates for restoration:

Chinese cabinet before pic:

Same cabinet after:
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sugarcube

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 06:46:24 pm »
wayward I don't know how you did it but you found it.

So does this change any minds?

I think it's really beautiful

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 06:48:30 pm »
Well said Tales!! If only they could talk  :D

gingertomantiques

• View Profile
    • GINGER TOM ANTIQUES
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 06:49:04 pm »
Furniture will always benefit from sympathetic restoration & as it is meant to be used & will suffer wear & tear.
It is unlikley to be purchased just as an ornament. In fact the more usable the piece is in the modern world the higher its value.
A bed is such a case.
But ----  antique beds tend to be smaller than modern beds -- will it be big enough for you, can you get a mattress to fit bedding ect, measure it first

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 06:53:53 pm »
The seller says the rails were extended for a queen size mattress so this is a highly useable size today.  I think it looks great in the pics but one should actually go look at it in person and find out the extent of the restoration.