Author Topic: If You Could Change Ebay, What Would You Do?  (Read 5497 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
If You Could Change Ebay, What Would You Do?
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:00:45 pm »
If I could change anything, I would add checkboxes to the navigation panel on the left so that I could select two or more catagories to view at once, instead of having to view them separately. For example, I could run a search for "Mickey Mouse" and see everything in the Antiques and the Collectables sections at once, and none of the baby items.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

Re: If You Could Change Ebay, What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 01:19:08 am »
You can somewhat accomplish that by going to Advanced Search, All Categories, search Mickey Mouse antique, exclude the word baby from your search, search title and description.

I would like to see negative buyer feedback brought back for sellers to leave.  A non-paying bidder does not receive any negative strikes in their feedback profile.  They can keep bidding until they get 3 stikes and then they may get booted.  In the meantime there is no way for a seller to see who these losers are.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 02:04:35 am »
I'd want to see all of a sellers negative feedback consolidated eliminating the need to scroll through pages and pages looking for it.
Also would like to see buyers be able to pay with check or money orders again. I think eBay lost some buyers due to this (but I'm sure they more than made up for this money wise by PayPal fees for almost every transaction.
Agree with Wayward on thinking that sellers should be able to leave negatives if it's deserved.
Great question.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 07:02:56 pm »
Buyers can still pay with check or money order or even cash in a local pickup, it is just not highlighted like PayPal.  If they pay with something other than PayPal, you have to physically check payment was received on eBay's little menu by the item.
I would like to see all the negatives bunched together also.  Great suggestion Dean.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 07:15:18 pm »
I'd want to see all of a sellers negative feedback consolidated eliminating the need to scroll through pages and pages looking for it.
Also would like to see buyers be able to pay with check or money orders again. I think eBay lost some buyers due to this (but I'm sure they more than made up for this money wise by PayPal fees for almost every transaction.
Agree with Wayward on thinking that sellers should be able to leave negatives if it's deserved.
Great question.

go to this site and type in the sellers username..

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs
Ole Canal Antiques

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 08:07:03 pm »
Do you guys think that Ebay should have a sniping tool built in? It would create a monopoly and run the sniping services like Auctionsniper out of business. I am kind of surprised they haven't done it.  I figure they must feel it's not in their best interests.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 09:24:41 pm »
Do you guys think that Ebay should have a sniping tool built in? It would create a monopoly and run the sniping services like Auctionsniper out of business. I am kind of surprised they haven't done it.  I figure they must feel it's not in their best interests.

1st thanks for the great tool olecanalantiques.Th at should save me a lot of time.

TOT7S... Doesn't it really come down to who is willing to spend the most.. no matter how fast your comp or you are at snipping?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 09:46:33 pm »
Ultimately yes the higher amount wins out, but sniping does hold down the prices sometimes. I don't consider any bidding very serious until the last few seconds. That's when the real action starts most of the time. With higher selling prices being advantageous to Ebay, I guess it would be counter-productive to have a sniping tool.

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 11:22:16 pm »
Nice tool ole!  Now is there one for non-paying bidders?

Tales, sniping only works if you do not put in a high enough bid and then you get overbid.  Let's say an item is worth $10 and you put in a bid of $100.  eBay will bid up for you until $100.  A sniper would have to overbid your $100 bid in order to win the auction.  So the seller would really come out on this auction by selling a $10 item for $100 or over.  Just like a regular live auction where two people have to have 'it'. 

Now if someone just bids increments or something similar, then a sniper can swoop in and easily outbid an increment bidder.  If you wait until the last seconds and still do not bid high enough to get by all the last second bidders, you will not have time to rebid and you have lost.  I have not really seen anything on eBay that I absolutely had to have.  I have set my limit and let other people outbid me but I do that at live auctions also.  A person must have reasonable limits or they will go broke fast.

I would also like to see the anonymous bidding names go away and go back to seeing who is actually bidding.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:25:18 am »
I would have to agree about the sniping deal.. If i want something i put in the max i am willing to go in the last 3 seconds and if i lose then o well, i wasn't willing to go any higher.
Ole Canal Antiques

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 10:07:43 pm »
I agree with scrolling for the negatives, but they just changed that! Now, you can click on the number of negative feedbacks and it will show them all to you. That used to drive me crazy! Just click on the number, as shown in the red box below (example,number 26).

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 11:26:54 pm »
     This one has the negative feedback for sure.  Just a little note about this one.  This person is a drop shipper, They are usually hired by a bigger company to do ebay stuff for them.  When the negitive gets too bad they start another ID.   4000 sales is one month is the dead giveaway here, wish I could do 125+ items a day.  Anyway just something to note about these people.  They don't usually care if they get negitive anyway, learned about them when we bought a paper shreadder the customer service was lame, and was just told to contact the company.

The thing I would change is if a buyer does not leave feedback after 60 days you should be given at least a neutral and a feedback score.  I have sold over 500 items and should have my Turquiose star by now, but I only have 368 with 100%, many a buyer never leaves the feedback and I want my star  :-\  ;D 

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 11:43:09 pm »
It drives me crazy when a seller doesn't leave me feedback. I always pay within 3 minutes of winning an item and am always polite to the sellers, no matter what. It took a seller over TWO MONTHS to ship me my phonograph and yet I still left him positive feedback because I felt bad for the guy. He had excuse after excuse. That was before the stars rating system though. I have quite a few sellers that haven't ever left me feedback, I think it should be a requirement and people should be banned or docked in some way if they don't leave feedback for others.
Oh, and I didn't do any business with that seller in the example. :) I just typed in "dog" and clicked on the first thing that popped up so I could use them as an example.

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 01:08:55 am »
Hosman, I think some sellers gave up on the feedback system after eBay took away their negative tool. The sellers just quit giving any feedback.  As to the seller that took 2 months to ship!!!...What is he doing on eBay?  If you do not leave bad feedback on sellers like that, how will anybody else know about him?  I am pretty lenient also but that is beyond federal regulations (30 days) and belief.  :P
I really look at feedback when I buy but would also like to know about non-payers as a seller.  I have my settings to block losers from bidding but eBay has set numbers to choose from so you can't catch them all.  I also save bad bidders ID's and block them from bidding again but if they change their ID, it is back to square 1.  I think eBay is stacked in favor of the buyer now.  I am not sure it is a good thing.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:18:57 am by waywardangler »

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 11:56:15 pm »
It's been about the buyers since the last CEO left eBay..
Ole Canal Antiques