Author Topic: Wooden Whatzit  (Read 6348 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden Whatzit
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 03:30:09 pm »
Guesses Mortar, missing it's Pestle

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 03:41:38 pm »
Reminds me of industrial size bobbin for sewing (like for tarps/upholstery).  Some of the really old and industrical application machines had 2 prong inserts unlike the one prong insert on home machines.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 09:37:28 am »
I am not so sure about the mortar/pestle idea.  I believe that forms follows function.  What purpose would the flanges serve other than a very time consuming method to provide a handgrip when a leather wrapped center would be much easier to do?  The inside bottom would also need to be rounded for the pestle and I think Tales would have mentioned that given her wordly expertise in all other antique areas.  Especially since forum members recently dissected every possible use for her porcelain-headed wood handled object including its' possible use as a pestle.  I think Tales could pick a mortar off a pile of antiques from 50 paces so one close up is not going to fool her reasoning.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 11:42:28 am »
LOL I'm flattered Wayward! This does have a distinctly industrial look to me. Old school industrial. Due to the thick layer of hardened putty on the bottom of the inside of the spool, I can't tell if the bottom is rounded or not, but the whole concept of the webs (ribs, flanges) on the sides, along with the flanged ends, I think would only make sense for something that would wrap around it, like a belt, twine or line that you didn't want to slip off. It looks like the focus was on the exterior, that is where all the nicely done work is. The interior is more or less just hollowed out, but it all looks to be in very good balance, clearly turned on a lathe. I really think it's purpose was to spin, like on a winch. I'm just not sure what kind of a winch or for what. I am not sure if I could get the putty out without damaging the wood  under it. It is rock hard, but I'll take a look at it.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 12:02:13 pm »
If it is "Rock Hard Water Putty", put some water in it.  That is what was originally mixed in it to make the powder into a putty paste.  If it is some other putty, then I do not know.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »
I got it wet briefly for the initial cleaning/disinfecting, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. I suspect that it would have to be chiseled out, which I don't think I want to attempt.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 04:43:53 am »
Tales, looking at the views of the bottom, picture #3 and #4, it is obvious to me that your piece of treenware is made from two (2) different pieces of wood ….. with the inside diameter, pic #3, being about one half (1/2) the diameter of the bottom insert, pic #4, …….. which leads me to believe that “the thick layer of hardened putty on the bottom of the inside” …. is to not only “glue” the bottom insert in place but to also act as a sealant to prevent leakage.

So, iffen I were you I wouldn't darest try to remove it. ;D ;D

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:10 am »
I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing, cogar.  The pic below has an arrow pointing to where the grain of the flat bottom and the grain of turned portion exactly match.  This leads me to believe it is one piece unless the pieces were joined to exactly match the grain.  However you do raise an interesting point on the putty being used as a sealant.  Looking at the bottom 3 holes, one hole is putty colored.  Is this putty that came from the inside putty job?  Were the three holes bored through the base into the void for 3 bolts to go through and mount this hub? to something for use as a winch/hub/arbor/spindle/spool?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 11:45:10 am »
Nope, it is all one piece, with the exception of the webs I think, and I have to confirm that still. I've been getting ready for xmas dinner and haven't picked it up again. I'll look tonight and also get those up close photos of the fish pan for Wayward to look at.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 11:51:25 am »
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's  .....lol, i have no clue what it is.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 12:09:21 pm »
Hi ho! Hi ho! And we may never know!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 07:03:12 am »
OOPS,  :o :o  I missed those grain lines Wayward.

I was looking at how flat and smooth the center portion of the bottom was and figured it was cut out of a planed board. The shadow of the undercut threw me off.  And besides, I didn't see any circular grain lines in it

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 11:10:37 am »
I took a look at the whatzit last night. The ribs/webs/flanges are separately glued-on pieces. The rest of it is a single piece turned on a lathe. The hardened putty stuff in the bottom is in a big gloppy wad. I'm not sure if it can be chipped out or not, but will investigate carefully later.