Author Topic: Cabinet...  (Read 40647 times)

waywardangler

Re: Cabinet...
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2010, 02:54:36 am »
The tube looks small to me and would not allow water to drain out very fast.  I suppose the basin held a bowl and the drain was just for water that splashed over?  I am not familiar with the old use of a wash stand.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2010, 07:09:44 am »
Wayward, good assessment in your #115 post. You covered everything I was a thinking to tell Hosman.

And while I was about to suggest it might be an ice chest that someone took the zink liner out of the wife says from across the room, ...... "it's commode".

So Hosman, don't you dare paint it. To wit:

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2010, 07:19:00 am »
I won't paint it, I promise.  :)
That top one looks almost exactly the same as mine, does it have straight legs or scroll? Does it give a time frame? It's almost the exact same dimensions. Thank you for your input and time! So, what was the purpose of the metal hole? I believe the chamber pot would go in the very bottom, would somebody actually...use this from the top somehow?

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2010, 07:27:29 am »
How the heck did I miss this one   soooo cool hosman!!! I have no idea how they used it maybe just put the used chamber pot in  it until they would empty  it  in the A.M.  ???

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2010, 07:33:41 am »
Yeah, I'm trying to find drawings or something because I understand that they would put the pot in the bottom after they did their business. Just not sure what the point of the hole is from top to bottom. I looked and I was like, "Oh cool, there is a round ring of water stains on the bottom board." But then I was like..."Wait, I hope that's water stains."  :P

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2010, 08:19:28 am »
Those pictures were scanned from ......
Book II - Country furniture and Accesories -R & H Swedberg

I understand that they would put the pot in the bottom after they did their business. Just not sure what the point of the hole is from top to bottom.

Hosman, don’t even be thinking what you are thinking.

Commode washstands served the same purpose as a simpler table washstand, made like a chest with a bottom cupboard to hold the chamber pot and a jar for dirty wash water.  Drawers were added in some models to store a razor, soap dish and towels.  Some washstands had a lift top with a well inside to hold a wash basin and pitcher.
http://antiquesfortodayslifestyle.blogspot.com/2010/10/antique-washstands.html

Here are 2 more for sale.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/110287247055?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=188955384483&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=WVI8&GUID=9e0fec921260a075f6a58e75ffff8b05&itemid=110287247055&ff4=263602_304662

http://www.harpgallery.com/showroom/item8270.html     

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2010, 11:18:55 am »
A bit about how commodes were used:
"...A commode’s association with toilet came from night commodes, a 19th century Victorian term for a bedside cabinet with doors. These enclosed cabinets provided an area for storing chamber pots and had a basin and pitcher on top for personal cleansing.

These commodes were found in middle-class bedrooms before indoor plumbing became available. By the 20th century the word commode became associated with toilet, so that today that is the more common usage."

Click here for the full article:
http://furniture.about.com/od/furnitureterms/f/co92009des.htm

And here is a very good description of the differences between washbasin stands and commodes:
"...Besides the hole for holding the basin, there will often be a small hole in which to place a shaving mug. A shallow drawer under the basin area stored razors, soap and towels. The cabinet area underneath is for holding chamber pots, and usually has a small door. Towel bars on the side of the cabinet are also common."

Read more: How to Identify Antique Washbasin Cabinets | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6787541_identify-antique-washbasin-cabinets.html#ixzz18xLaARxR
Click here for the full article:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6787541_identify-antique-washbasin-cabinets.html

I think you've got a lovely one Hosman!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2010, 02:00:09 pm »
Is that tube threaded by chance?  I cant think of what would go there and not be in the way but I was thinking maybe something was screwed in at one point?  A water pump perhaps?  Just guessing...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2010, 02:02:37 pm »
I think it's just a drain hole in case of spills so that the cabinet wouldn't be ruined.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2010, 03:45:07 pm »
Ohhh could it be from scraping off the original veneer?

Yeah, that would be my guess, someone had a problem with getting veneer/glue off.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2010, 04:37:31 pm »
So, are you disappointed, or do you like it still?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2010, 01:22:43 am »
Thanks for all the info and links, guys!
Yeah, those marks go up, down, around and all crazy, kind of like a little kid with a crayon on a wall. I don't have furniture experience but I don't think plane marks look like that. They at least generally go in the same direction and are thicker. I think? ???
I still love it but I must admit, if I saw this one first, it would be sitting in my house right now.  >:(
I'm actually trying to figure out what to sell so I can get it. That is, of course, if you guys think it's genuinely as old as they say. Looks early 1800's to me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-AMERICAN-GEORGE-WASHINGTON-WASH-STAND-TABLE-/270679452703?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item3f05c0ac1f
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:29:12 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2010, 02:15:09 am »
It looks odd and poorly constucted to me.  I do not know any furniture maker that would pick out a piece of wood with such a large knot and place the knot where that knot is placed.  I also do not know what type of construction was used to attach the side boards.  It looks like a through dovetail from the corner piece? and then the bottom board was inlet so the ends show?  That makes no sense to me.  Maybe it looks different than the pic shows.  And what is with that picture?  Why would anyone have that picture inside the doors that open up?  So they could wash their hands and have the Father of our country's family and their slave staring at them?  I do not get it but then again I do not know anything about early furniture styles.  It just all looks odd to me.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2010, 02:17:46 am »
Well, you definitely know more than I do, that's for sure! I think the picture was a replacement for a mirror because a mirror makes more sense. I'll see what others say and do some more research. I just love the patina and the style.

waywardangler

« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2010, 02:35:04 am »
Ya, don't base too much on my opinion because my wife doesn't.  ;D  All of my opinions are free and I have many of them.  Go with what you like because you are the one that will be looking at it.