Author Topic: Cabinet...  (Read 40649 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Cabinet...
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2010, 02:48:03 am »
Wayward certainly knows more than I do about construction, but quite a few things shouted out t me as well, especially that piece of wood in pic 8. Overall it just doesn't seem quite right, and certainly a piece I'd want to look over in person before parting with any cash.

waywardangler

« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2010, 02:56:56 am »
That is the large knot I am talking about, mario.  What furniture maker would put that prominent knot (with a crack in it no less) there?  

And there is another good-size knot on the upper portion to the left of the left door.  Very visible in the pic showing the backside.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 03:04:54 am by waywardangler »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2010, 03:22:39 am »

Exactly, Wayward .... This is really a case, in my opinion, for 'caveat emptor'.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2010, 08:26:24 am »
Well, i notice the bottom shelf still has it's veneer intact, the back looks to have been married & added to the front , the drawers sides are new. I would say this is a late empire/late classical piece thats had alot of stuff done to it.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2010, 08:37:15 am »
Ohh I think I see what you are sayin' Jacon. So, the only original parts are the two pillars, the bottom shelf, the top and the drawer front. Maybe somebody later (turn of the century-ish) added the back and those funky doors with the picture. I see it in a very different way now that you point it out. It was originally just a little side or hall table?

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2010, 08:39:35 am »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2010, 08:44:49 am »
One good thing about it, Hosman, is the price. If it is what it purports to be then it is reasonable. It's an attractive enough piece, but there are a lot of ? over it, most of which have been mentioned. Plus, without closer inspection the knobs, the hinges and the doors themselves seem not quite right. Jacon's already mentioned the drawer, and it may just be the light but there seems to be a mismatch in some of the woods.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2010, 08:52:49 am »
Yeah, it'd have to be a wee bit cheaper for me to consider it though. With the shipping, it's a bit much for a hodge podge of "stuff." I'm starting to wonder if the sellers know exactly what it is, there's a reason it's so cheap. They would have asked much more if they believed it was all original and 200 years old. They know what they have, and they want it gone.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2010, 08:53:18 am »
One good thing about it, Hosman, is the price.

Agrees, this piece has had ALOT of re-work done to try and change it into something different than what it began as. The base piece probably dates to last quarter 19th century, say 1875-1900, the back/top, not a clue

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2010, 10:00:26 am »
I'm starting to wonder if the sellers know exactly what it is, there's a reason it's so cheap. They would have asked much more if they believed it was all original and 200 years old. They know what they have, and they want it gone.

Spot on, Hosman, I think that is probably the overwhelming consensus  ;)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 25, 2010, 02:04:55 am »
Strangest thing happened tonight with this thing...
So, had my mom over for Christmas Eve tonight. She's not a weird, strange, eccentric or crazy woman. Just your average lady. She walked in and saw the cabinet (which I didn't tell her about) and said, "Oh my God, witches." I was like, "What in the world are you talking about??" She said, "Jess, I have no idea how but the first image that popped into my mind when I looked at that thing was of witches and evil." She's never said anything like that so it kind of bothered me. Can you say strange!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2010, 02:25:20 am »
LOL, i gather mom was not a fan of your cab

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2010, 09:33:02 am »
lol Not so much. Said it was cute though.  ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 25, 2010, 10:56:15 am »
Wow, that is a strange thing for someone to say who isn't normally inclined towards such things. Well, as long as it doesn't move from one side of the room to the other during the night...  :o

Seriously though, if this cabinet isn't what you really wanted, I'd say sell it to someone who will really love and appricate it and put the money towards one you really want. I get the feeling that you like it's look, but that it wasn't quite what you were hoping for. Maybe Craigslist it so that you don't have to contend with shipping and can recoup more of the cost.

I think what matters most is how it makes YOU feel. If you walk by it and think- 'Gee, it's not as old as I hoped it was' or if your mom's words about it are going to haunt you, then I'd say pass it to someone else. But if you walk by it and think how cool and wonderful it is then it should stay, and I wouldn't worry too much about what it may have been used for in the past. We all endure terrible things and perhaps you're the right person to set it to rights again.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2010, 11:15:19 am »
Your mom's comment would make it more desirable to me.
I love going to the eBay antique category and using haunted as the keyword.Once in a while you'll get a pretty incredible read.If you ever sell it you could relay mom's comment in the description and perhaps increase it's value due to this aspect.Moms are great.