Author Topic: WWII bringback with Bastogne story  (Read 2029 times)

Texasbadger

• View Profile
WWII bringback with Bastogne story
« on: December 01, 2010, 10:08:41 am »
Weve all been there, Sunday morning,  horrible gun/antique show, not even paying for table expenses when the one person that makes your show walks up to the table.  He looks at one of my rifles, a standard WWII German K98 and tells me he has one just like it except "there are no letters or numbers stamped on it"  He lives nearby so I tell him to go home and get it so we can find out what he has.  The day passes uneventfully and we are actually packing when the guy walks up with a German K98 slung over his shoulder.  The reason there are not any markings on the rifle is that there are sniper high turret mounts installed on the rifle!  I have to sit down to focus on this, as this doesnt happen often.  Best of all it has a story, his relative, Lloyd West, was a tanker under General Patton, they were assisting with the breaking of the encirclement of Bastogne when his tank was called forward to deal with a sniper that was wreaking havoc on the ground troops.  The tank shells a farmhouse heavily and upon approach the sniper is found deceased and the tankers take the rifle.  At some point in its past, the scope and rifle were parted, but Im on the trail!  This is some "guy stuff" that made my year!

waywardangler

Re: WWII bringback with Bastogne story
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:24:11 am »
Happy trails to you!  I hope you find the scope.  What a story and what a great way to end an uneventful show!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:35:24 am »
OK - I know nothing about guns but I am sitting here trying not to LOL...  So you ended up buying the gun from him?  I laugh because here you spend all day at a show hoping to sell some of your stuff (I presume) and at the end of the day you end up buying something that makes your year.  This, my friend, is the sign of a true collector!!  Not just run of the mill hobbyist hoping to make a few dollars "here and there" type of collector, but a true "I could spend hours on end eating, breathing and talking about this stuff" collector...  and that is just AWESOME!! 

Congrats on the gun! Great story and good luck with that scope... It'll happen!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:44:56 am »
Yep didnt make table money and paid WELL for the rifle,,,the scope will cost as much, but if I find THE scope that matches rifle by serial number thats a whole new ballgame!  They are mailing me his military photo, a named purple heart, and other items that will always stay with the weapon.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:27:37 am »
That's awesome!  ;D I bet the seller was happy it was going to a buyer interested in keeping the history with the rifle.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:55:18 am »
Heres what it looks like when its back together!  The sellers brother is now in contact and hes a Doctor of History at the University of Pennsylvania, so hes very happy.  Once the history is separated from an antique it becomes just a "thing" to me.  This one my kid can sell after Im gone. 

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:17:43 am »
Yep didnt make table money and paid WELL for the rifle,,,the scope will cost as much, but if I find THE scope that matches rifle by serial number thats a whole new ballgame!  They are mailing me his military photo, a named purple heart, and other items that will always stay with the weapon.

What would also be extremely interesting would be to hunt the history of the deceased sniper that was wreaking all the havoc with this piece. I have to admit that I have no interest at all in militaria, but as a  child I started a small collection of WW1 medals and it was the people who were named on the medals that fascinated me.

Happy hunting!!