Author Topic: Record Player  (Read 7495 times)

WhoWasThatMaskedMan

• View Profile
Record Player
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:01:29 pm »
I was at an antique store today and I saw this old record player and fell in love with it  :)  According to the plaques on it it was made in 1935 for the Library of Congress, how it got to a store in Canada I don't know.  So I bought it as an accent piece for my place but even so I'd like to restore it a little bit.  I don't know if it works because the crank is missing, there's an empty pair of holders in the back of the case, I assume it's supposed to go there.  Also after looking closely I decided the arm isn't original because: a)The color doesn't match b)It's got wires under it c)It seems to have a non-changeable needle but there are spare needles in a little case in the back. 

So I'm wondering where I'd find a crank, all I know is that it goes into a hole on the side and I guess it fits inside the case for portability.  Also I wouldn't mind having an arm that matches.  Does anyone know where I'd find things like that? 

P.S. I know the pictures aren't the greatest but I can take more if you want, thanks!

waywardangler

Re: Record Player
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:35:22 pm »
What speed (rpm) does this phonograph run at?  Does it say anywhere about the speed?  This is a portable phonograph that worked on crank power to run.  From http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/AlexandraGrosman.shtml   "Recordings at 16 rpm were widely distributed by the US government in its "Talking Books for the Blind" programme. Their fidelity was about the same as a telephone, 300 to 3000 hertz, but [have] become obsolete since the development of cassette tapes."

The plate says this was for the blind, so I am thinking it should be 16 rpms.  There are no records available to play at that speed.  I do not think it is worth it to restore to playing condition.  Maybe someone else could offer some opinion(s).

WhoWasThatMaskedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:42:01 pm »
It doesn't say what speed it runs at, all it has is a selector that goes from slow to fast.  It was set to slow when I got it.  That's not very helpful I guess   :P

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:31:00 am »
It doesn't say what speed it runs at, all it has is a selector that goes from slow to fast.  It was set to slow when I got it.  That's not very helpful I guess   :P

That means it might play anything from a 45 rpm to a 78 rpm record.

TMM, you might be able to find a crank that will work just by asking antique/collectibles dealers iffen they have one laying around somewhere or you could probably make yourself one.

But before you go looking for one you need to measure the diameter of that hole in the side and also find out what "thread" size the crank is. The end of the crank (that goes thru that hole in the case) will have a hole in the end of it that is "threaded". Inside the record player in line with the hole in the case is a "threaded" stud that when turned, winds up the spring that powers the turntable.

Thus, when you insert the crank, turn it until it tightens up on the threaded stud and then more turns will "wind up" the spring.

So, ya need to take the mechanism out of the case, which is probably held in by 4 small bolts, ...... and find a nut that will fit those threads on that stud. And what I suggest the next thing that you do after finding a nut that will fit the threaded stud is: twist it on, then get a wrench and see if you can "wind up" the spring.

Iffen you can't wind it up so that the turntable will turn round n' round, then forget it, ...... either the spring is broke or it is wound too tight and the mechanism is dirty, jammed or broken. 

If the mechnism is working ..... then you can take that nut and go looking for a crank ....... with a diameter small enough to go thru that hole in the case ..... and threads that the nut will twist onto.

Or you can, or have someone, "drill n' tap" a steel rod with the thread size of that nut and then bend it in the shape of a crank, making sure you don't "bend it" too short cause it won't engage the threads iffen you do.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 08:16:42 am »
I think that slow and fast means you can adjust the speed to hear the talking book at the proper speed.  This was a player for the blind and not a regular phonograph.  Talking books worked at 16rpms so more of the book could be put on the recording.  It is possible this could get up to 33rpms but I highly doubt it would spin faster to make 45 or 78 rpms.  Winston Churchill had some famous speeches recorded at 16rpms.

Somewhere on this player there is a manufacturer name.  You may have to take off the platter or even remove the outside case to get to the inner workings.  There should be a manufacturer name somewhere.  The metal plate inside the case cover is just a government contract type plate but it does have a model number and serial number.  My guess is as to maker is Columbia or Victor.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:11:47 am »

That means it might play anything from a 45 rpm to a 78 rpm record.

TMM, you might be able to find a crank that will work just by asking antique/collectibles dealers iffen they have one laying around somewhere or you could probably make yourself one.

I have lots of crank handles for lots of different models.. I collect Phonographs...
Ole Canal Antiques

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:13:38 am »
Btw, it looks a lot later than 1935, especially the tone arm...
Ole Canal Antiques

WhoWasThatMaskedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:01:01 am »
The tone arm isn't original I'm quite certain, it's got a permanant needle on it instead of a changeable one.  I know it had a different arm because the spare needles came with it in a little metal container.  If I can figure out what crank it needs I'd be interested in aquiring one off you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 02:57:58 pm »
Nice!  Neat piece of history! 

We still have an old record player and pull out the old albums and play, dance, sing to the oldies!  All the original Beatles albums to Nat King Cole, The Ink Spots, Herb Albert & The Tijuana Brass, etc.  Even have a few Sing Along With Mitch Millers!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 03:50:02 pm »
Here is a player that is pretty close to your model so you can see what the crank and tone arm look like.  From http://www.aph.org/museum/virtual_exhibit/exhibit4/e40030b.htm

They have different models in their collection and they run from 8 rpms to 78 rpms.  The only way to tell how fast yours is, is to get a crank, tape a coin on the turntable, and count the revolutions of the coin in one minute at the fast and slow speeds.

WhoWasThatMaskedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 08:48:24 pm »
Been searching around half the day and looking at various pictures.  I'm now convinced this was made by RCA-Victor, it looks very similar to this one I found: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1930s-rca-victor-portable-crank-victrola-phonograph

Some time this week I think I'll grab a handful of bolts at the hardware store and try until I find one that fits the crank input.  If I can wind this thing up it'll answer a few questions.  I suspect the spring is good because when I flicked the switch to on the turntable moved a little.  I sure hope it works, it'd be alot of fun to play something on it   ;D

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 08:40:25 am »
You should be able to remove the platter and see if the top will come up. If it does, it will make life a lot easier to see what type of thread the crank takes..
Ole Canal Antiques

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 06:16:53 pm »
This is my record player, but I can't dance and sing with it because I don't have a needle.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:18:35 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 08:41:04 pm »
NICE!!! I have a boat load of needles. Does yours run ga?
Ole Canal Antiques

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 08:41:30 pm »
Boy, that is a cute one!  I heard nails work but they are hard on the disc.