Author Topic: Record Player  (Read 7497 times)

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
Re: Record Player
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 08:44:25 pm »
Boy, that is a cute one!  I heard nails work but they are hard on the disc.

If you think about it, they are the same thing. However a lot of the good needles are tipped with Diamonds...
Ole Canal Antiques

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 09:02:18 pm »
It works. I used to have the needle. It was my grandfather's. He used to play it for me. I used to leave it sitting out, but the lizard skin is so delicate. That's one of the rare things about it. So, I have it stored in a antique steamer trunk. I would like to buy a needle. Maybe I'll try the nail.  My grandfather traded a camera for it , that's what he told me. I treasure it. Thanks you I have it out again!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 05:42:50 am »
The 1st place to look for a needle is ....... in the bottom of the compartment underneath the mechanism.

Needles were always being "dropped" and they would oftentimes fall through a hole or into a crack and end up in the bottom of the case .... or between the side of the case and the edge of the turntable base/board.

I've had several record players that I've repaired, refinished & sold, except this one that I never got around to selling. Wish it was the tabletop one with the Morning Glory horn that I once had.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 05:48:55 am »
I was just jammin out to records on my Edison cylinder phonograph a few minutes ago. I love old record players. I need a crank for my Victrola VV-IX. I have been searching for months. Either all the ones on ebay are the wrong ones or they are a freaking FORTUNE. I'm not spending over $60 for a handle. I don't think the long type of needles (for flat discs) ever had diamonds/gemstones on the end. However, the reproducers for my Edison have diamonds and sapphires...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 06:44:25 am »
WOW, $60 for an RP crank. I'll hafta look around to see iffen I can find one. ;D ;D

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 06:51:42 am »
I can't find the correct repro for my model. And it has to be for the exact model or it won't work. I prefer original but would take a new one. :(

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 08:26:10 am »
I was just jammin out to records on my Edison cylinder phonograph a few minutes ago. I love old record players. I need a crank for my Victrola VV-IX. I have been searching for months. Either all the ones on ebay are the wrong ones or they are a freaking FORTUNE. I'm not spending over $60 for a handle. I don't think the long type of needles (for flat discs) ever had diamonds/gemstones on the end. However, the reproducers for my Edison have diamonds and sapphires...

They did though, i have packs of NOS. It may not have been common but some are tipped.. The one that went in my Seeburg Trashcan were tipped also..

Btw, i can look in our work shop today and see if we have a handle for your VV-IX (im pretty sure we do), i would let ya have it for $45 if we got one.. I'll get back to ya!

Note: Cylinder Players are my favorite!! I sold two in our auction and wish i hadn't but i have a good source that has about 13 of them in his warehouse, i have to get to Florida to browse his stuff!
Ole Canal Antiques

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 12:58:23 pm »
As always, I learned something new today. :)
That'd be awesome if you have an original one. $45 is a good price for one but I'll still be on the lookout for a repro too in case you dont find anything. I also need the two knobs on front if you have any but those are only like $5 on ebay so no big deal. Sorry for the post hijacking! Send me a private message olecanal if you find anything so we don't steal it again. ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:04:45 pm by hosman321 »

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 07:26:39 pm »
Will do!! I to am sorry for the hi jacking, i can ramble on about old phono's!! Then acres crushed me with that Peter Pan! Those have to be extremely rare..
Ole Canal Antiques

WhoWasThatMaskedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 09:13:15 pm »
Okay I'm back again  ;)

I've since discovered that this is a Garrard phonograph, not Victor after all.  The motor still works and after a little adjustment so does the speed control.  It runs 78 RPM on the fast setting and 45 on slow.  I found a crank for it, still itching to get rid of that brown tone arm though.  Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to test a record on it, I'd be really happy if I could play some classics on this now and then.  Still have to come up with a cable of some sort to connect the headphone jack to my amp.  Incidently I stumbled across this article about phonograph maintenance from a 1950 issue of Popluar Science, I'm finding it useful so maybe someone else will too  :)

http://books.google.ca/books?id=DC0DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA236&lpg=PA236&dq=phonograph+speed+control+broken&source=bl&ots=KTB5heOWT1&sig=n46NKv7Q_WLjQHOYJHndmS_PGx8&hl=en&ei=-NH_TKXBLpGksQP85b2wCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 08:41:24 am »
Thanks for sharing that article WWTMM!!

Also glad you got it working!
Ole Canal Antiques