Author Topic: Could this be an old CocaCola glass?  (Read 1314 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Could this be an old CocaCola glass?
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:51:29 am »
I bought this at a flea market 15 or so years ago.  I only bought it because it was turning purple.  Keeping it in a window  with a south exposure has deepened the color somewhat.  An older lady who visited with us Sunday said she thought it looked like the old drug store soda fountain glasses they served CocaCola in many years ago when she was a child.  I have no idea.  Any suggestions?   Jon

waywardangler

Re: Could this be an old CocaCola glass?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 01:37:14 pm »
It looks like a generic old soda fountain glass and I would expect if it was specifically Coca-Cola it would be marked as such.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:47:14 pm »
Interesting http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5744509_old-glass-purple_.html

"Varying additives have been used to stabilize the color throughout time, each having a different effect. Until about 1915, manganese was the element of choice. When the manganese is exposed to the ultraviolet radiation from the sun, it oxidizes and gives the glass a purple tinge."
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:06:35 pm »
I would agree that it was a overall style glass and not specific to Coke.  Neat that it is purple!  Take pics of it in stages as it changes!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 10:26:30 am »
Thanks for the replies.  Neat article on "purpling" glass.  This glass in question has only reached the "violet" stage so far.  I'll just leave it in the window.  Would be quicker outside but it won't get broken in the window.  Hopefully.