Author Topic: Neg feedback - Yes or No...  (Read 8063 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Neg feedback - Yes or No...
« on: December 07, 2010, 01:56:17 pm »
I've had a new experience and while probably trivial, I hate to leave anyone neg feedback so what would do?

I ordered a pocket trumpet for the hubby.  It's cheap and we aren't really expecting much but it's for him to play when he doesn't want to break out or take along the good trumpet.  It was shipped fast but when it arrived, it looked as if it had been run over by a truck!!  In fact I'm guessing that's exactly what happened since it was basically flat as a pancake in spots.  I actually had to cut away the bag... I think it was UPS's fault as the box was damp and torn where the shipping label was.  I contacted the company Friday and they arranged for UPS to pick it up which happened yesterday.

So far, probably not the companies fault, communication has been great and  I am not charged for return shipping.  Here's my problem tho.

The pics I sent clearly showed this was a damaged/unusable item AND I even had pics prior to opening the box which showed it had suffered some sort of severe trauma... Hubby needs this horn by this coming Thurs but the company would not ship a new one until UPS picked up - regardless of my pics.  The only alternative was to buy ANOTHER one and they would refund me.  Which I did - but NOT with a smile on face....

While they arranged pick up Fri AM, that didn't happen until 7PM Monday night - again, probably UPS's fault

NOW, the company is saying they wont refund the $$ until the horn has arrived in their store from UPS.  This is different from the original email sent to me but their reason is that policy is to ship a new horn (replace) once UPS picks up but not refund until it arrives....

Would you leave neg feedback?  On one hand, I feel bad as I don't believe the damage is their fault. OTOH I am getting FED UP with dealing with the nuances of their return policy and the fact that I had to babysit this horn all weekend and Monday waiting for UPS to show up.  Constantly moving it in and out of the house whenever we left. Now I have to wait, track the shipment back and watch to make sure they refund this week.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

Re: Neg feedback - Yes or No...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 02:03:20 pm »
I would not leave negative feedback because the problem is with the third party carrier...UPS.  The company's return policies are in place because they probably were stiffed in the past by unscrupulous customers and they do not want that to happen again.  A large company could probably absorb the loss and ship a new one but a small company maybe cannot.  Just my thoughts.  As for the UPS pickup of the damaged one, could you have taken it to a UPS store and be done with it?  I know they pickup as I had a faulty hard drive picked up like that but then you have to wait for the driver to arrive and this time of year, I think they are quite busy so their usual times may not be on the money.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 04:13:27 pm »
I agree, I would file a claim with UPS.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »
I agree, I would file a claim with UPS.

I agree 100%, the problem is, if no insurance was taken out, it won't do a dam bit of good...
Ole Canal Antiques

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:38:45 pm »
I would leave neutral feedback. They changed what they promised. First, they said UPS just needs to pick it up. Now they are saying that it has to arrive at their place of business first. That could take 9 days. It's the holidays and people do not have time to sit and twiddle their thumbs waiting for their money back. I'd leave neutral, they promised one thing and did another.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 05:43:31 pm »
While they arranged pick up Fri AM, that didn't happen until 7PM Monday night - again, probably UPS's fault

I really don't think it was UPS's fault that they didn't show up until then, the company probably did not pay for over night or what ever service but rather opted for 2 or 3 day ground service. After rereading your OP, i would have to agree with Hos here, sounds like a Neutral and maybe even a Negative if they lied about the pick up time and opted to just choose another plan for shipping after they told you a certain date..
Ole Canal Antiques

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 05:49:07 pm »
It's not necessarily that ups was late picking it up. The seller said, "When UPS picks up the package, we will issue a refund." Then, they said, "The package must be in our hands before we issue the refund." Unless I misunderstood. :P
If I'm correct, then I'd leave a neutral or negative, definitely not a positive.

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 06:09:29 pm »
Hosman, you did not leave neg feedback when your seller did not ship for 60 days.  Are you becoming more hardened?

UPS has an automatic $100 worth of insurance in their pricing.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 06:15:55 pm »
Fair enough, very true. That was when I was just starting out in antiques and I guess I was just inexperienced. I would let people take advantage of me. Wouldn't happen today, I am learning to stand up for myself. :P
I guess it's all about how frustrated oceans is and how she feels about the whole situation. Everybody's different.

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 08:38:38 pm »
Way to go, hosman. I think we have all been in that 'give a guy a chance' mode probably when we shouldn't have.  I am very proud of you getting a thicker skin because that 60 day guy really should have been dealt a negative blow.  I am not sure what I would do in Oceans case.  I would definitely not leave ANY feedback until the refund is in my pocket and the new horn is OK too.  Maybe at that point I would leave a neutral with an explanation that their return policy sucks.  It would be nice if one could leave the shipper (UPS) a negative comment.

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 08:43:36 pm »
Hosman, you did not leave neg feedback when your seller did not ship for 60 days.  Are you becoming more hardened?

UPS has an automatic $100 worth of insurance in their pricing.

Oh cool! I'm so used to dealing with the USPS. You have to buy insurance..
Ole Canal Antiques

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 09:02:41 pm »
I think a negative would be unfair in this case (from what was read).
Sounds damaged during shipment by the way it arrived to you.
Can totally understand the way you feel at this point though but it doesn't sound like it was the sellers fault.
How was the packaging anyhow??

I always felt that leaving negative feedback could hurt you as a buyer.Who wants to sell to a buyer who has left these.
I'd reserve them for a situation where it's absolutely necessary and a last resort when the blame is clear and all other attempts to make things right have failed.

Hope your week starts going better.GL & JMO

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 10:24:32 pm »
    Wow this was a hot topic today, been missing out here.   Not sure negative feedback to the seller is exactly fair, and I would be sure to hound UPS for comp for sure.   As for the companies return policy, well that is a bit lame during times like these for sure.  Where I work if a customer complains we are printing them a new one and have it in the mail overnight no questions, happens from time to time, may ding the bottom line a bit but the customer is more important.  I guess I can see why they have that sort of policy but if truly they are small a simple phone call should solve there issue.  Anyway being kind of long winded here.  Personnally I would give them a call or email them with all your frustrations, not necessary saying you will leave neg feedback but maybe implied.  Then wait for there response if they are willing to do anything to give you peace of mind then no feedback, if they come back rude or full of policy quotes then customer service is lacking and that warrents Neg. feedback In my dealing thus far on ebay I all try my best to resolve the situtaion short of kissing arse of course, service is sometimes more important then the situation.  IMO   Wooo Breath.....

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 11:23:51 pm »
Yeah...  I am wavering and just wanted to make sure I wasn't be a wimp by NOT leaving negative...

Dean:  The trumpet comes in a semi-hard case.  The mailing box (cardboard) was thin with no padding. That said I can't imagine any box that would have protected it from whatever had flattened it. 

I have talked to them on the phone.  Communications is A++ no doubt.  The fact that I have a ten year history with eBay and 100% positive rating should get me a little leeway however IMO and I'm a bit irritated about that.  As it stands, I have bought a $120 item TWICE (have neither in my hands) and this whole ordeal will continue on until next week when I can verify that UPS delivered back to them and make sure they refund.

It seems that I (the customer) am being the one most put out and it's not my fault either. 

I'll probably be neutral but as wayward said, I guess we wait and see the condition of the one on it's way.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:21:53 am »
After thinking more about this...  I'll probably not leave any feedback.  I can't describe my experience briefly but also concede that they never hid from me and always responded quickly. Had they refunded my money yesterday (after verifying UPS pickup) and taken me out of the loop, I would be OK and even pleased.  Sometimes things go wrong it is the response that truly matters IMO.  They have well over 5500 feedbacks - they don't need mine LOL. In fact, I need theirs more than they need mine...

btw: Wayward not sure if I answered your question.  I offered to take to a UPS Store as I didn't want to be tied to the thing for 3 days...  They declined.  I think it would have messed up the system.