Author Topic: Help with Antique Wooden Table  (Read 2037 times)

manitsnam

• View Profile
Help with Antique Wooden Table
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:07:47 pm »
Hi I received this wooden table a while ago and was told its been in their family for generations. She also told me it was hand carved. I am moving and cannot hold this table anymore so am looking to sell it. It's about 3ft x 6ft and stands 2ft tall.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Antique or not? Type of wood? Fair price? Best way to sell it?

Thank you in advance!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Antique Wooden Table
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:04:39 pm »
Hi Manitsnam! 

Could you please post pics of the underside and any markings found there as well.

Welcome!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

manitsnam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 02:49:15 am »
Hey here's a couple more pics, underneath and one of the cornerr.

No markings or anything printed below. Everything seems to be held together by screws and no glue, unless the glue has deteriorated. 
Thanks for the welcome and taking a look! :)

manitsnam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:27:56 am »
BTW someone asked in another forum if it has a spot for a glass and it does.

From the other forum:
"The framing techniques are the same as a door. Longitudinal pieces forms the perimeter and gives a degree of dimnesional stablity. With moisture, wood expands considerably cross grain, but very little with the grain (lenghtwise). The panels fit in slots and there is probably clearance in the slots to allow the panels to expand and contract. A glass cover over the top is needed to protect the highly carved panels. Interesting.
Most of the cost is in the carvings."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 10:55:09 am »
Agree with post from other forum that it has to have a glass piece (and see slots for it) for it to be functional and preserve the integrity of the piece.

I just don't get any warm fuzzys that this is an really old piece.  It resembles the style of furniture that was brought into the US from the Far East (could be any Vietnamese/Asian/India country) during the 60's to 80's.

Maybe someone else will pipe in!

Best of luck to you!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

manitsnam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:03:39 pm »
Thank you!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:07:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum , manitsnam .

I'm with KC , concerning the origin & age of your item .

The top sections with the 'carvings' in the panels appear to me to have been 'surface-sanded' to give the 'look' of hand-carved wood .... the small areas on the legs seem as if they may have indeed been 'spoon-carved' - but it is difficult for me to distinguish if these were actually carved into the leg itself , or are small pieces of wood that have been added to them .

If it were in my hands , I'd not spend too much worry about potentially selling this item for alot of bucks , perhaps you may feel this way too .
Maybe Craigslist would be a place to sell your coffee table , at a reasonable price (buyers might just comment that the cost of replacing the glass (tempered) exceeds the value of the furniture , though) ... some Pacific Islanders I've known like this 'look' in their furniture .

I do hope you find a buyer !!!

Not an antique , IMO .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

manitsnam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 06:07:08 pm »
Great thank you guys for the info!  Last thing I wanted to do was rip someone off.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 08:09:11 pm »
Type of wood is hard for me to tell from your images , manitsnam ....

Some of these tables are made from good grades of mahogany , and are joined pretty well (& strong) .
There've also been ones made from teak & Koa woods ( & some light & funky others too) .
If you can stand yours up & see if the frame is tight (first just give it a gentle 'twist' , to test for looseness) , that would be one more good thing !

I have no doubt that there will be collectors paying good prices for ones of this style in 65 - 75yrs .

I strongly agree that part of the whole 'antiques' thing is to avoid ripping somebody off , as you have mentioned , manitsnam ... , even if it's only ourselves .

Thanks for posting !