Author Topic: Are these still used?  (Read 9382 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Are these still used?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 06:14:27 pm »
Wow, completely different than I imagined! Definitely a family treasure you have there, don't ever split it up or part it out!

tmerrifield

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 06:45:57 pm »
It is definately staying in the family-  Bench is probably 4 ft long,  I'm guessing at least 50 individual tools.  4 metal forms and 2 wooden forms.  Haven't come across any pictures of him and the bench, but I've got another set pictures of some of his
belongings that will blow you away, including a picture.  Stay tuned.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »
I've been sick. I didn't see the post. I found an original picture of my husband's grandfather's shop that would explain the setup better. When I feel better I'll put it up. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 11:35:49 pm »
That is terrific! I've never seen one where you didn't stradle the bench! It looks like it is designed to sit on it turned outward, which I think would explain how he used that iron stand, right?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 04:04:09 pm »
Here's a picture I found of the shop back in Council Bluffs before he came to Philadelphia. When he came to Phila. he bought an old shop.

waywardangler

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 05:46:27 pm »
Yummmmm! I can smell that shop.  All the leather, waxes, and polishes.  I used to bring my shoes to a shoe repairman when I was 10-14 to have them resoled (when real leather soles were stitched onto real leather shoes).  That shop smelled great!  Just look at all those buffing machines lined up there.  Stand alone shoe repair shops are very hard to find today because most shoes today are not worth fixing after the soles wear out.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 06:02:20 pm »
My mother in law grew up in the house attached to that shop. She is so proud of her parents and still today the shop stands I have to find that picture. We all went there in last July. We had a family reunion there and it was nice of the owner to let us come in. We had rented a bus. That will tell you how many of the family came from all over the country.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 08:15:37 pm »
Here's the shop today. It's not as nice.