Author Topic: Are these still used?  (Read 9381 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Are these still used?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 08:24:29 am »
Hi Cogar,
I know nothing about these, and the height also made me think, but do you think that it was intended to be used standing so that the cobbler wouldn't have to jump up and down (for whatever reason). Looking at the square stem, is it possible that it's 'fluted' and made like that so as to give better purchase for the tightening screw? Again, I'm no mechanic so have no idea whether this would work any better.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »
Mario, a cobbler probably spent 90% of his time fixing shoes and 10% or less talking to customers. There was once a cobbler in every little town and the one in the town I grew up in was named Frank.

And "no" on the tightening of the screw because a cobbler had 3 to 5 different lath sizes (see pic below) for working on shoes and changing sizes would have been a pain in the butt.

Besides, shoe soles and heels were nailed on with nails all around the edge of the sole n' heel and driven right into that steel "last" so as to clinch them over and they wouldn't pull back out ...... and thus a tightening screw would not have withstood the force exerted by said pounding.

Now that's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

waywardangler

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 04:11:34 pm »
For what it is worth, I am with cogar on this being a married piece.  That being said, a pair of these would make one heck of a pair of dryers for hip boots!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 05:02:52 pm »
Hi Cogar, Your technical knowledge is certainly better than mine, and your arguments are sound.
Interesting piece though, and still has me wondering. ;)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:28:40 pm »
My husband's grandfather was a shoemaker in Council Bluffs Iowa. I just visited the still existing shop over the summer. The man who owned it was very nice to let us come in and look around. It was right by a railroad. During the "Depression" he was always busy. He did cowboy boots, railroad boots, shoes. He always made a living. Then he move here to Phila. Everyone knew of his shop in Council Bluffs. Even today they all know where the shop is when you meet people from the area. It's that small town community based living. Everyone knew one another and would wait and talk. He raised 5 children and had a home attached to his shop.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:32:59 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 12:06:33 am »
I would have to agree that it is a married piece after careful observation - after noting cogar's extra careful observations.

I would have to disagree that all cobblers sat tho'.  The small town I grew up in, he was always on his feet working. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

tmerrifield

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 04:06:31 am »
My great, great ... grandfather was a cobbler around the mid 1800's.  His cobblers bench and all the tools , forms etc are still in the family.  When I go down next, I'll take some pictures to share.

Mindings

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 04:25:25 am »
Whilst I agree it does look too high, I remember a shoe repair shop in my London Street when I was a child. The cobbler used to sit on a very high chair and whilst I cannot remember the detail of what it looked like he had something similar that he used to pull between his legs when working on shoes and boots. He never used the counter top other than for sales etc. Of course he had all kind of other machines behind the desk.

The main thing I remember was the huge number of shoes and boots waiting to be done. When ever I was sent to pick up some, they were never ready - but he would say something like "They'll be ready Thursday" if it was a Tuesday. He never ever met the first estimate but always did the second. That was a mighty long time ago though!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 05:16:16 am »
Boy oh boy oh boy, …… am I sure glad I ended my last post with …..

Now that's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.”

because me thinks my opinion on Greenacre’s shoe last wasn’t worth a hoot.

I just did another Google “image” search for 'shoe cobblers last' and …… yup, thar she was on Page 6 of the images. I should have found it the 1st time I Googled but being impatient and on Dial-up Internet it takes forever to upload those images ever since Google fancied up their Image Search.

Anyway, while I am busy eating crow for breakfast, ........ to wit: 

Shoe Last, c. 1940 Guy "Ton" DePaulo used this shoe last to repair shoes at his shop on Bessemer Avenue in East Pittsburgh. Born in Naples, Italy, DePaulo immigrated to the United States in 1920. After learning the trade from his uncle, DePaulo started his own shoe repair shop while also working at nearby Westinghouse in order to make ends meet. This shoe last - a device used to hold shoes in place while repairs were made - was one of his most-utilized tools. In existence for over seventy years, Ton's Shoe Shop was more than just a business. It was an active social center of the neighborhood where people gathered together to discuss politics, sports,

http://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/secondary.aspx?id=80&contentID=32

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 05:56:19 am »
Well found, Cogar !! I did several Google Image searches and didn't come across this one .... Hope you were kind to yourself and had some honey with that crow pie  ;)

waywardangler

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 08:32:43 am »
cogar, that marriage did not last long!  A pair would still make a great hip boot dryer though.  :D

tmerrifield

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 05:03:38 pm »
As promised, Here are the pictures of my Great Great Grandfathers cobblers bench and tools Mid to late 1800's

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »
Holy Moly!!!!  THAT is way super COOL!!!  How big is it (a guestimate is fine - LOL)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 06:09:59 pm »
That is a nice bench!  Any pictures of him at his bench making/fixing shoes?

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 06:13:47 pm »
Love it !!! so wonderful that you are keeping a piece of your families history alive and safe!!!!!!