Author Topic: Salt Cellar Lady with Meissen Imitator Mark?  (Read 7914 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Salt Cellar Lady with Meissen Imitator Mark?
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:59:32 pm »
Well, I ditched the idea of getting an antique cookie jar when I became totally enchanted by this little figural salt cellar. I'm usually not into figurines, but I love this one, and she will look just great with the fancy blue & white china in the dining room.

She has what I think must be a Meissen imitator mark? Anyone know? She should date from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Whatever she turns out to be, I really like her!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Cellar Lady with Meissen Imitator Mark?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:48:07 pm »
Not sure on the mark.

I haven't seen a double salt cellar especially that was covered by a lady sitting partially blocking the opening.  I would think it was for something else?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 08:53:04 pm »
I don't think she will hold very many cookies.   :(

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »
Well, it came from a seller who specializes in salt cellars, so I'm pretty sure that is what she is. The opening doesn't need to be very big, salt spoons are tiny... kinda like the infamous McDonalds spoons of the 70's if you know where I'm heading with that, LOL!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 08:57:05 pm »
Tales where do you find these treasures??  Love her!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 09:05:20 pm »
Thanks Sapphire! This one was on Ebay, she popped up on a search for blue in the pottery and glass section. She's an unusual purchase for me because I never, ever buy figurines. I've never liked them much. But this one is an exception. I was smitten as soon as I saw her!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 09:39:48 pm »
Tales so nice !!! I came across some tiny salt spoons tonight also would go perfect with her!!!!! let me know if you get her will be happy to send you out 2 spoons!!!! Heres a photo of one.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:43:03 pm by wendy177 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 09:42:45 pm »
A couple more similar to yours, double crossed swords......

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6940275

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6940276

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 10:18:31 pm »
Oooh! Wendy! Love the spoons! I already won the auction, so I will send you a message. Thanks, those would go beautifully with "The Salt Lady"!

Sapphire that second female double salt cellar looks very similar, it was probably the inspiration for this one.

I don't think that Meissen had a single sword hallmark, so I suspect this is an imitator, but I have no idea who. Maybe Chris Marshall will know.

Here's another Meissen double salt cellar with another 18th century boy, but not in blue:
http://www.collectibles-articles.com/antique/Antique-Meissen-Double-Open-Salt-Cellar-Rare-Pepper_360317886537.html

Another very similar to mine in pink:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/meissen-purple-indian-figural-double-salt-cellar

Another very nice boy in blue-
http://llauctions.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=23728&weid=11365&weiid=4917636&wcmid=37&mindate=19900101&maxdate=20501231&lso=lotnumasc&pagenum=1&lang=En

All these above are listed as Meissen. It looks like Meissen produced a lot of these. I found them by Googling  double salt cellar.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 02:35:24 am »
Scatter brained me wasn't thinking of salt spoons.  Was thinking of salt cellars for cooking.....one way track tonight.

Really like it!  Have to keep an eye out on these!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 07:32:00 pm »
*Ah-ha moment!*

I think I know what the mark on the Salt Lady signifies- I found out that Meissen marked it's pieces that were inferior in either painting or molding with a "cancelled line". That would make sense for this piece, since I know that she has a manufacturing flaw- See where the handle connects to the basket on the right in the first photo below.

So she may be a Meissen piece after all. This would add up since I can't find any repros/fake Meissen that look like her, or any of the other Meissen figural double salt cellars. That's kinda cool. I don't mind the defect and knew about it when I bought her. (I've got one or two defects of my own!) I also paid considerably less than what the other Meissen examples are going for. 

Here is the "cancelled line" mark:

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 12:17:02 am »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 01:49:05 am »
That bowl is absolutely freakin' gorgeous!!! Are you going to bid on it?

The "Salt Lady" is the only antique blue piece I have allowed myself to buy. I decided a long time ago that it was too great a danger that future generations might mix up the heirloom china pieces with anything I bought. So I have never allowed myself to buy anything but modern Blue Danube pieces to add to the collection- Pieces made during my own lifetime are my contribution. The Salt Lady is the only exception I have made to that rule that I set for myself. I figured that she was unique enough that I could indicate that she was an addition, without mixing up the overall collection. I have passed up so much beautiful blue china over the years!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 01:59:34 am »
I love it so much but I don't think it's a good idea. I don't do too well with glass and delicates, we have a zoo in this house and I'm too scared for things like that to get broken. Especially when I let the two parrots fly around. Maybe that's why I like cast iron and wood items so much, don't have to worry about them at all! Maybe when I get a china cabinet or some other enclosed glass cabinet.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:12:01 am by hosman321 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 02:08:36 am »
LOL as I read your post I was watching "Avatar" and could just see your parrot flying off with that lovely shell dish clutched in his talons!