Author Topic: Salt Cellar Lady with Meissen Imitator Mark?  (Read 7913 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Salt Cellar Lady with Meissen Imitator Mark?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 02:14:18 am »
Lol I watched it yesterday! I imagine them grabbing it and tossing it. I have two Lorikeets now too and they are seriously neurotic. They throw their ceramic bowls, their toys, their little plastic cat balls just to see how many times they will bounce around the cage...I imagine them grabbing it by the handle and it hitting the wall. EEEKK!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 02:18:20 am »
I feel your pain girlfriend! I have a Triton cockatoo and hubby has a rose-breasted 'too! Mine is the destructo-boy. I keep the china hutch safely locked!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 11:41:07 pm »
Looks like I will have to retract my "ah-ha moment". According to the Meissen Ebay guide, Meissen does not produce seconds, despite a whole lot of internet lore to the contrary! So I think my Salt Lady will probably turn out to be imitation Meissen.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Meissen-Collector-apos-s-Guide_W0QQugidZ10000000000076613

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 12:02:13 am »
Uh oh, that kinda stinks. I looked yours up on ebay and it was sold as a Meissen, and it is not. I still think she's beautiful and was worth buying, but I would ask for a small discount if you decide to keep her. Because it's not fair to you that she's an imposter. :P

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 12:16:34 am »
Nah, I am not worried about it, I bought it knowing that it had a flaw and I had my doubts all along because I knew the mark didn't look right. I knew when I bought it that it very likely would be an imitator, but this piece so much I didn't really care. I've been looking at Meissen salt cellars and I still like her just fine!  :)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 12:31:15 am »
Then that's all that matters! :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 12:10:54 pm »
The Salt Lady arrived this morning and I'm quite happy with her. The colors are a little more muted in reality than they appear in the photos, which is good, since I was a little concerned that they might be overly bright compared to the rest of the blue and white china.

What looked like label residue in the photo is actually a rough place where whatever her original marking was, it appears to have been scraped off. So it looks like she is a factory second from somewhere. It's difficult to know weather or not Meissen released seconds or not. I found only the one Ebay guide that claimed that Meissen did not release seconds. All the other sources I found said that they did. I guess the jury is still out on that one!

Age-wise I think that the early 1900's estimate by the seller is probably pretty a fair one, and I would guess that she was probably produced about the time that the Meissen pieces were popular, or a little after. The skirt is a transferware design, while the rest is hand-painted, except for the cheeks, which I think are air-brushed, so like the chinahead doll, I believe that would put her production in the 1920's, at about the end of the time when open salt cellars fell out of popularity. Her face is very nicely painted, not skewed at all, and she has the same "rosebud" pursed painted lips that you see on the chinahead dolls from around this time and tiny dots of blush color in the nostrils. Whoever did the face did a really good job.

There is just the tiniest bit of rubbing visible to the blue at the edges of the basket, some wear to the base bottom and a bit of dust staining in the deepest crevices. This is most noticable on the two flowers, which do not have the shiny finish glaze. The flowers were formed by making layers with the petals like a real flower would have. They could not have been popped out of a mold and there is dust grime down inside them.

No chips anywhere, it looks like she has had a pretty easy life in a china hutch.

waywardangler

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 12:17:27 pm »
Sounds like you are very pleased with your purchase, Tales.  It should be a nice addition to your kitchen collection.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 12:22:22 pm »
Found a little more on open salt cellars in general. It looks like they were used up until about WWII or the depression, (sources vary on this) so she could have been produced a little later than the 20's, but by then the switch had been made to shakers and salt was no longer sold in blocks. That helps a bit to confirm the age.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:24:14 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

waywardangler

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 12:25:35 pm »
You can buy salt blocks today but they are for deer and Bessies.  ;D

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »
In this house, we prefer open salts.  I think it's because we also watch the cooking channels discovered it was WAY easier to have a bowl of kosher salt sitting out on the counter than to drag down the huge box.  From there, it has gone to the table for our everyday use. 

I have sets of mini/individual salt and peppers for my "dress-up" table but as I was watching ppl at Thanksgiving this year, I was thinking about how I could use the "open" concept but still keep the individual settings...

Anyway, needless to say, I think she is very cool.  Esp if you have blue china.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 01:14:34 pm »
Oceans, they made some neat little carnival glass "salt dips" in the 20's and 30's that were small and intended to be at each person's place setting. I bought my mom a bunch of the cobalt ones a few years ago that were all little animals from the 1930's sitting in baskets, like these below. These are tiny, about 2" long. There are also lots of non-figural ones. Just run a search for salt dip on Ebay and you'll see lots.:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:17:33 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

waywardangler

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 01:20:08 pm »
Ironlord had a green hen on nest and a clear cat on nest posted on eBay but I do not know if they were small for salt dips.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 01:34:16 pm »
I've seen big (about 4" to 6") hens that are more like candy dishes. These are about as long as your thumb.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 01:50:34 pm »
Hahaha!!  VERY familiar with those per my eBay listing...  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190480334624&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

The hens "scare" the hubby - Big Baby!  He just doesn't want to tell me he doesn't like 'em (they were my Gma's and I'm not crazy about 'em either).  I did save one hen that's all white and the right size for a salt - size of my index finger and cute cuz it's small!

I'll have to look for others tho...  While not crazy about figures I am LOVING the carnival glass (?) one Tales...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey