Author Topic: Needing a little help with where to start  (Read 4311 times)

Kat1015

• View Profile
Needing a little help with where to start
« on: December 13, 2010, 02:00:19 pm »
I came across this piece at a thrift shop.  I picked it up only because it would serve the purpose of what I was looking for.  I have had it a few months now, and I just keep thinking about this piece.  I have absolutely no knowledge about antiques and don't even know where to begin looking for information.  I do know that there are no marking that I can visibly see. 

I am not worried about how much it is worth.  I'm very interested in history if it does indeed have any.  I just have no idea where to begin, because there are no marks that I am aware of.  If there is anyone on the board that may notice something, it would be of great help.  If you guys tell me it's nothing but a pretty piece to look at, I will be happy with that as well. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Needing a little help with where to start
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 02:20:31 pm »
Looks like a neat bowl! What we need to get a look at is the bottom, which is where you can usually find a "hallmark" which is a maker's mark.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:52:42 pm »
Agree with Tales that pics of the bottom may be helpful...  It's hard to imagine that a piece this detailed doesn't have a mark somewhere.  Could it be that it was a part of something else?  Maybe hung from it's rings on the side (but then why the base?)... I dunno but it's lovely! Hopefully someone here can help more than I.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:56:00 pm »
Welcome Kat1015.  The marks you'd be looking for could be very small, possibly symbols in a row or other arrangement. Don't overlook any place, however obscure it may be. Even the handles (underside too).

Agreed with the others.....beautifu l 'bowl'! A real keeper.  ;)

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 03:16:30 pm »
It is a very nice looking bowl.  I would use it for the purpose you bought it for.  I see mold lines on the base and also some rough casting marks on the detail on the top, especially around the cutouts.  I think this is a cast white metal piece and not silverplate or silver.  I do not think you will find any hallmarks anywhere on the piece.  I could be wrong but that is just my initial observation.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 03:28:10 pm »
Interesting Wayward...  How would you know when buying a piece that it was white metal?  I googled and am seeing several examples I would otherwise think of as silver plated...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:40:58 pm »
The mold lines and rough casting marks give me cause for concern.  Not foolproof but an indication of low quality.  Reminds me of the base on my Grandmother's Gone with the Wind lamp.  Looked nice but it was white metal.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 04:23:50 pm »
That's why I love this forum......there is a universe of knowledge out there and members are good enough to not only share but also do it in a way that helps you both learn and appreciate.

I went back to the pics and see the mold lines wayward mentions.....now the rough casting I'll have to look closer to understand what to look for next time.

Thanks wayward!  ;)

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 05:48:36 pm »
Sapphire, I have learned so much stuff from everyone on this forum it has opened many new interests for me! 

I enlarged the photos, and then magnified it to 200% (higher than that they get fuzzy).  The rough castings I am referring to are the edges around the inside of the bowl, edges around the cutouts, and the fleur de leis? decorations on the top edges.  They also look like they have a center line.  The base lines are very evident.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 05:50:42 pm »
What accounts for the color difference on the inside/outside of the bowl?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:57:46 pm »
I do not know.  Maybe the makeup of the particular metal, maybe a silver wash, age, or ?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 06:03:57 pm »
I'm not exactly sure how they make the color difference, I do know they call it Gold wash.  Popular in higher ended Silverplate items.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 06:31:54 pm »
Could you please give size of your bowl and approx. weight . Does it seem heavy for its size?  I have had pieces before that were silver wash over copper that had that same look as the inside of your piece.

Kat1015

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 08:07:21 am »
I also noticed the molding.  Still, I had no idea what that meant, so you've helped lead me in the right direction.

For the bottom, there are no marks, that is why I never even bothered posting a picture of it.  That of course the bottom was the first place I looked.  If anyone thinks that I picture is still necessary I will certain grab one.  

I really appreciate you guys all coming together and helping me out a bit.  I never had any intention on getting rid of it or seeing value to sell.  I'm very attracted to this piece for some reason.  That is why I came here.  If there is anyway I could research about its history it would be fantastic.  

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:29:01 pm by Kat1015 »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 08:22:23 am »
I know that this is like teaching grandma to suck eggs, so I apologise in advance to you all, but the difference in colour might have been down to the fact that it was once gilt ... although judging by Wayward's comments, and he's had a really close look at it so i trust his judgement, this might be unlikely. I can't tell the exact size, but with the openings at the top it's almost like a Monteith style punch bowl, which would explain why the interior once may have been gilt ...
That's the best I can offer, I'm afraid.