Author Topic: We call this the Donkey starter ?  (Read 8032 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
We call this the Donkey starter ?
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:46:20 am »
WE pulled this from a landfill from the 1800's. I'm not sure if it was for wagons or early cars?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: We call this the Donkey starter ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:34 am »
lol on your title.
Can I ask you why you call it that?

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 10:22:23 am »
The size of the open end and closed end would determine if it was used on wagons or cars.  In its' present condition, there is minimal value to it.  Due to the amount of rust, any name cast/stamped in the shaft is probably not discernible.  My hunch is it was used on cars or farm implements but not specifically for either.  It is not a wagon wheel wrench unless the size is VERY large.

Was this used to whack a donkey in order to get it moving and thus the name?

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:34:00 am »
It was a joke that day when it was found because we thought it was for a wagon. I just like it because it old and funny story behind it. I'm not thinking of selling it. I just wanted to know the time period. We always laugh when we look at it. It good for humor.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:40:19 am by greenacres »

olecanalantiques

• Kevin
    • View Profile
    • Ole Canal Antiques
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:12:31 am »
Looks like a wrench for a car to me..
Ole Canal Antiques

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 12:10:45 pm »
Great item to find and wonder about its age and who used it for what.To me thats what makes antiques fun.I love wondering about a items history.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:04:18 pm »
For me it's a thrill like treasure hunting. That landfill we found made me feel tied to the past. All the reading and investigating about people and the time periods, and their lives with war and the first F.B.I. and C.I.A. Thru bottles and embossing, I learned the history of our country. Did you know that "Black Beard the Pirate" liked to party on the outskirts of Phila.. This is an area clled Manyunk. This a rare blown bottle. It's not even straight. It says "Dr. W. H. Long's, Prairie Flower, One Dollar" This must have been something good if it cost a dollar.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:36:34 pm by greenacres »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:32:25 pm »
Your bottle once contained patent medicine. Here's the info on it and about "doctor" Long, aka "Diamond Jack" LOL! It's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://www.antiquemedicines.com/MedicineNexus/L/L.htm

Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 03:44:23 pm »
I thought I'd add that patent medicines are a really interesting thing to study and some made pretty outrageous claims. Some were hugely popular, like Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable Compound and some were full of alcohol or opiates. Here is a terrific online exhibit on patent medicines.
http://www.hagley.lib.de.us/library/exhibits/patentmed/history/history.html

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 03:51:32 pm »
I was always curious as to which type a flower they were talking about. I thought this had to do with the indians. I thought it sounded like a form of Marijuana., lol

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 05:43:16 pm »
Kinda like how Coca Cola got started!

Talesof....there are still some pretty outrageous claims out there today for vitamins, weight reduction items, etc....They will laugh at us in the future!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:59:57 pm »
My understanding is that we have Utah Senator Orrin Hatch to thank for that. He led the charge for the dietary "supplements" to be exempt from regulation by the FDA. That's why they can get away with these ridiculous claims. It amazes me sometimes how trusting we humans are and how willing to self-medicate without any professional guidence. 

waywardangler

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 07:34:19 pm »
Oh yes, KC, Coca-Cola in the original recipe form.  Must have been a drink for only the high and mighty!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 11:17:27 am »
Talesof I agree.  Being virtually unmonitored, people can make claims and not get held accountable.  Starting with the first documented health food in 1829.....the Graham Cracker!  (Sylvester Graham was a Presbyterian minister and avid vegetarian, who promoted the use of unsifted and coarsely ground wheat flour for its high fiber content. The flour was nicknamed "graham flour" after Minister Graham, the main ingredient in Graham Crackers.  He believed that "physical lust was the cause of maladies, from biggies, like consumption, spinal disease, epilepsy and insanity, to everyday indispositions such as headaches and indigestion" and his “cure” was to suppress carnal urges, for which he prescribed a strict vegetarian diet and the avoidance of alcohol, tobacco and refined white flour.") Imagine packing those facts on graham cracker packages today! :)

The supplement industry makes over 60 BILLION a year.  The only true monitoring is for packaging, manufacture, storage, dispersion.....

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 11:29:44 am »
I find the whole "male enhancement" industry particularly frightening, when it is being target marketed at young, healthly men for what amounts to almost recreational use and preys upon young men's self-esteem.