Author Topic: Not sure about this doll...  (Read 3649 times)

MythrilDelight

• View Profile
Not sure about this doll...
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:06:56 pm »
Hello, I posted on here a couple of months back...but I found this doll today at a thrift store for $3 and Im not sure about it.  It looks sort of like a Kewpie doll but then again it sort of doesnt...Its body is all cloth and the face isnt porcelain or bisque...its kinda like a type of plastic or something...I cant find any markings on it anywhere either and wouldnt know where to look.  I recognized the face though which is why I bought it.

If anyone knows anything about this doll it would greatly help :D

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:10:00 pm by MythrilDelight »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure about this doll...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 11:18:52 am »
Can't tell anything about your picture.  Are there any markings under the clothing? hat? Does the stitching look machined or hand done?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MythrilDelight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 11:55:48 am »
I looked...and couldnt find any markings...it looks machine made....but the face of the doll is glued to the fabric...and whatever the face is made of is kind of delicate around the sides so Im trying to be careful lol

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 01:03:42 pm »
I think you can date the doll by the face. I believe these type were popular in the 40's, 50's and early 60's. I remember them from when I was a kid in the 60's and there were a lot of different types. If the face is made of composition (which has the feel of paper mache) it would be a little older, where as a plastic face would be later and rubber falling somewhere in the middle of those two. Do you think the clothes are original or a later addition? Are they part of the body or sewed onto the body? The "bric-a-brac" gold wavey trim on the hat makes me think that this doll was revamped into a clown outfit by an artsy-craftsy previous owner. Take a look at the hair- does it appear to be mohair (natural coarse goat hair that has been died and is kid of frizzy) or is it yarn or polyester? These can all help to date the doll. Can you see any stuffing poking out? If it is straw-like material, that would be excelsior, which would date it to a little earlier, natural cotton came next and then fiberfill later. Sawdust was used on early dolls also. If at all possible, get under the clothing and see what the body is made of, and look for any sign of a tag.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 01:20:18 pm »
There were also faces that were made of a material - burlap in texture/feel - that was inlaid in to the "liquid/material" (not really sure what the name of it is) and was then allowed to sit until hardened in the face mold. It was made in the early 30's to 50's.  This way the material that extended out was able to be sewn to the rest of the body.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:46:58 pm »
Looks like it probably dates to the 40`s or 50`s from the style of dress. I have seen others similar in craft/sewing books from that time period. Face is possibly celluloid. An early plastic.

MythrilDelight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 05:52:01 pm »
Ok, the face feels like paper mache...the hat is glued to the face and doesnt appear to come off...the hair looks like it might be polyester...its kinda shiny but looks like a bunch of threads...not any sort of animal hair...the body is wire frame and I know this will sound weird but its like a plastic that is wrapped around something...Im not sure what...the clothes are completely encased around the doll and feels like polyester too...the hands and feet are felt like fabric...

Im starting to think that Tales is right about it being someones craft and they just used the face of an older doll...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 06:47:57 pm »
Tales is possibly correct about the stuffing. When excelsior gets old it has a crinkly sound and feel similar to what you describe.  Wire armatures were used by some dollmakers and then they were wrapped and stuffed. Generally they used whatever they had available for such craft projects.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »
The hair will help as well....if it is Saran hair it started being used in the late 40's and prominently in the 50's when they starte rooting hair in the heads.

Celluloid dolls were made in the late 1800's until the early 1950's.  The manufacture of hard plastic dolls began after WWII in the 1940s. Vinyl dolls, introduced in the 1950s and 1960s, allowed doll makers to root hair in the head instead of painting on the hair or using wigs - were and are still easier to mass produce. In the 50's and 60's they also made dolls out of rubber, foam rubber and vinyl.  Celluloid fell out of favor due to fading and most of all flammability.