Author Topic: Glass Dish. Help, ironlord!  (Read 6002 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Glass Dish. Help, ironlord!
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:56:48 pm »
Word to the wise: Never go treasure hunting when you have been awake for 30 hours straight. I didn't realize until I got home that this dish had a huge chunk broken off and glued back together.  ::)
But, I bought it because I liked it and didn't notice the damage. So, what the heck. It was worth the $6. I am mostly curious if anyone knows when it was made and by which company. I definitely know nothing about glass. Thanks for any input! Sorry for the bad pics. I tried with flash, no flash, different lighting and backgrounds and couldn't get it right.

waywardangler

Re: Glass Dish. Help, ironlord!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 01:31:51 am »
Next time, hosman, run your fingers around the glass with your eyes closed...helps to pick out chips etc.  Also bring an old nylon with you and run that over the glass...it picks up many flaws your eyes do not catch.  I rarely buy glass because even the tiniest chip is a deal killer to a glass collector.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:00:12 am »
 Hosman Off the top of my head looks like Holiday /  button & bows by Jeannette glass company.  Great tip wayward about the nylon !!!!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 12:49:39 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. :)
It does look similar to the Jeannette Holiday (buttons and bows) but it's not quite the same. I have been lookin through tons of 20's-60's glass and can't find one the same. I hope it's not too new-ish. But I like it, so it's ok.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:03:22 pm »
Sorry been so busy the Past few days, haven't had much time here.  The pattern is a Daisy and Button for sure.  but so many made the Daisy and button pattern it can be daunting just trying to find out which one made your Center Bowl.  What is the size of your bowl?  Daisy and Button started in the EAPG Period of Glass, Mckee. Adams and etc. and even Anchor Hocking and Fenton made this pattern.  Like I said about every glass maker seemed to make there Daisy and Button.  I will try and poke a bit more.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:56:10 pm »
Ohhh daisy and button brought up much more for me to browse through, thank you both for setting me on the right track. I'll keep lookin'. I'll measure the dish later on. If it helps at all, the ends are taller than the sides.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:42:24 am »
I still have a few of these that were family items and we use them religiously!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:43:10 am »
I had to rethink that post with this group.....I didn't mean for religious reasons....I meant used them regularly!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 10:52:00 am »
Nothing to do with glass, instead I've been trying to make out your new avatar, Hosman... what is it?

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:21:02 am »
I think it is from one of those pics she collects of dogs (bulldogs or pitbulls)? 

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:20:23 pm »
You mean like this. He's my rescued pit for Kentucky. He taken away from horrible people who abused him. I hope there's no pitbull bashing, lol
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 06:55:57 pm »
Yeah, it's one of the old pit bull pics. But it's not very clear so I'm thinking about changin' it. We have 2 pit bulls greenacres. I understand your pain about the bashing. It's very hard to have them and people make my life miserable because I do. But what they don't realize is that when they treat me the way they do, it only convinces me that I will have one by my side for the rest of my life.  Yours is ADORABLE!

I still gotta measure this dish but can't find the dang measuring tape. I'll go look. :P
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:57:45 pm by hosman321 »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 06:58:27 pm »
Right there with ya' greenacres and hosman.........more accurately, Breed Specific bashing.........

Ex drug-house rescue here  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 07:00:45 pm »
I honestly know more people with pit bulls than any other dog!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 07:03:08 pm »
Love, love, love rottweilers! My in-laws have one. I had one when I was a teenager but she contracted parvo even though she was up to date on her shots. She was about 6 months old and I was devastated when she died. Both of my current dogs have had kennel cough and parvo when they were up to date on their shots and both nearly died. I no longer give my dogs any shots. Since I stopped with the shots, they haven't been sick. Rottweilers, pit bulls, dobermans and certain mastiffs are very susceptible to these illnesses and sometimes shots do no good. :(