Author Topic: Vintage Ring... Unknown stone? plastic?  (Read 4208 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Vintage Ring... Unknown stone? plastic?
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:56:48 pm »
This ring belonged to my Gma and I have no idea of the history nor does my Dad.  My niece wears a similar style of ring and since I never wear it I am going to give it to her.  Does anyone have an idea of what the center would be made of.  It's light and feels a bit like plastic - I have a cameo of hers and it feels the same way.  I dont' know what the dark spots would be.  The ring itself is stamped 10K-MS. She was b. 1906 and d. 2001

Thanks...

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Ring... Unknown stone? plastic?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 11:07:39 pm »
It was very popular for people to use Agate.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 01:37:23 am »
I was going to suggest Moonstone but I have no idea about the brown spots.  Are they in the "stone" or on the surface?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:55:57 am »
might be tortise shell, but usually there would be more brown in it. It could be some kind of bakelite or celluloid.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 03:15:56 am »
Could be Moonstone, Wayward, I've seen uncut and unpolished examples of it with brown sections.
Oceans, as the ring is 10K I doubt whether it would be plastic, so you can be almost certain that it's going to be some sort of semi-precious stone.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:50:26 am »
The brown is in the stone and it does feel cold to touch. I think it feels plastic when I tap... hard to explain.  I've never heard of moonstone. I'll have to go look...  Would they have marked the ring with the stone type thus the MS?

Updating...  Seems too translucent for moonstone.  If you put something behind it you can easily see the color through it. Could be tortoise shell altho an odd example I guess with the small flecks of brown only.  Hmm - I'll have to keep looking.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:31:24 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 10:35:48 am »
Ah Ha!!!  http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Deco-Moss-Agate-Gold-Cocktail-Ring-Vintage-Old-/380300446153?pt=Vintage_Fine_Jewelry&hash=item588bac49c9

The style is exact altho mine is yellow gold. Greenacres may get the cookie for this one...

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 10:39:53 am »
WOW! Even the style and marking is the same.  Moss agate as greenacres suggested and worth a small bit of change too.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:42:07 am »
Only problem is if you google pics, the seller may have got the "moss" part wrong... They are usually green, thus the name. 

I get to go to an auction today  ;D  so I'll have to look more later...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:58:51 am »
Nice!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 11:07:53 am »
Thanks KC - What's great is my niece loves and wears this style of ring so it can be used again (vrs spending 10 more yrs in my jewelry box) and she will have something of her g-gma's - which is best of all...  I have some earrings and the cameo I can save for my other 2 nieces.  I'm pretty excited about giving it to her.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 11:30:18 am »
I wonder if this heirloom was passed on to your grandmother.To me it looks older than 1906.The style looks victorian to me.What do you guys think?
Sure would be cool to find a photo of grandma wearing it so if it stays in the family it can be passed on to future generations with some type of history attatched.
What a keeper.Sweet.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 01:34:53 pm »
I'm a "Jewelry Junkie"!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
Great advice Dean!  It could be a little older...
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 08:55:25 am »
That is a great idea Dean - I started going through some pics last night.  I would love to find a pic to give to her as well. So far no luck but I have lots!