Author Topic: Antique Saw  (Read 4567 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Antique Saw
« on: December 21, 2010, 03:13:14 pm »
 This saw is over 100 yrs. old I use it for decoration. It my husband's uncle's father. I 've always liked it as art work. I was looking on ebay for one and didn't see one exactly like it, but they did have a few interesting saws. As collectible as some tools are there were no bids. What makes a saw valuable. Size, I'm sure, but there are a lot of old saws. Some antique saws went for 30.00 and there were a few that were more. What are the collectible saws? People seem to like the lumberjack saws. That's to hang on the wall, lol
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Antique Saw
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:18:37 pm »
VERY cool! I found a two-man saw up on a hiking trail in the forests here, and I always regretted not hauling it five miles home. Your saw is terrific, and how cool that you know who it belonged to! I'm not sure what makes a saw valueable or not either, but from provenance is always a good thing. Isn't it funny to think which of our things will be passed around after we are gone?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 04:36:39 pm »
Buck saws (some call them bow saws too) are very common and this style is still made and used today (as a collapsible pack saw).  I cannot tell the size of yours but it looks like a two man saw?  Tools as art are a good thing.  The turned handles would not be done today.  That is what gives yours some great style and the fact this was handed down from the owner makes it even neater.  I would hang this on the wall also.  I bet it looks great there.

As to what saws are collectible...that is a loaded question.  Saws were made for many years and are probably the most common tool to find, although many have been sharpened or rusted beyond saving.  Top model saws that cost more than the common models are highly sought after because fewer were sold and survived.  Also pre-civil war era saws are hard to find.  Civil war surgical saws are also in great demand.  Any saw that exhibits some stylized handle, turning, carving, etc. is desirable.  One hand saw that has a panther head as part of is handle is worth $$$$.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 05:04:58 pm »
Civil war surgical saws are also in great demand. 

Now there's an antique I would NOT want to have! *shudder!*

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:51:12 pm »
Gosh, that brings back memories of my dad's tools that originally came with him from the old family farm........and my night out last week at our staff Christmas party at the pub across the road from work. A favorite hang out in the village, a lot of time was spent finding the decor that adorn the walls (and elsewhere)  ;)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:23:46 pm »
Yep, bow saw. About the only old hand tools that can go for big money (sometimes thousands, depending on maker, model) are planes. Guys who build repro period furniture by hand are into planes as they can really save time/labor with high quality planes.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:24:50 pm »
The pub walls are great. I love it. I never would have thought of the Civil War saws. That's really interesting, but I think it would be eerie hanging that on a wall, but I could read myself into a history frenzy, lol I think I think of saws with a little more respect now. I see how they can be some really great art work. TalesoftheSevenseas , your right about what you say, remembering someone through a saw. I wonder what will hold my memory? ;D I'm modifing my reply because I went and looked at some of the antique surgical saws and various gadgets, should they really sell those on ebay? They look like they belong in a horror movie. I think we should keep track of people like that, lol
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:53:48 pm by greenacres »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:43:40 pm »
Can you imagine being given some laudanum and a stick to bite down on and then the doc says "Hold 'im down boys, this is gonna get ugly!"  Sheesh! But the pub is great! Makes me want a Guiness and a shepherds pie!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:13:03 am »
I have been drooling over this one for months. But I'm trying to stick with American and English antiques from that period for some reason and it's German. He wanted $400 at first but it has been slowly creeping down over time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dated-1794-Block-Plane-/320542764880?pt=Folk_Art&hash=item4aa1d66f50

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:21:18 am »
The seller must be basing the price on the carved in date, because that type of plane is very common and can be bought for $35-65.  Most of them are cracked by the horn due to the stress in that area.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 06:11:39 am »
Planes are a big hit in our house new & old as  hubby makes furniture and uses them daily. he is one of the only guys I know in our area to also do hand cut dovetails. furniture is his passion, If you find a piece that is marked Brennick its his work. I imagine his work on antiques road show 100 years from now :D Right now he is working on 2 light posts for the outside front steps of our  local Town Hall very large & very grand but a work in progress.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:17:01 am by wendy177 »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 10:43:45 am »
My grandfather owned a mfg. co. when he was about 86 we sold the business. I think of the tools I got rid of..... I think I still might have some. Now, when I have time I'm going to take a look.

Spencer541

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 06:04:07 pm »
Silly question but I assume the handle needs to be in pristine condition to have any value right? 

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 03:39:47 am »
Define 'pristine'  ;)
Collectors like to see evidence of natural wear, too  pristine and alarm bells start to sound.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 07:55:00 am »
Of the 5 or 7 planes that I have this little Stanley is the cutest of the lot.