Author Topic: Ritual/Blood Cup? Marked "GREECE" on the bottom  (Read 3591 times)

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
Ritual/Blood Cup? Marked "GREECE" on the bottom
« on: December 25, 2010, 06:36:16 pm »
I have a cup that has raised symbols such as Rams Heads, corn and others that I am not familiar with.  It is Brownish Green in color, is aprox 3" high and across. I believe it's made of clay but could be wrong. It is stamped "GREECE" on the bottom with another symbol crossing over it. Would like to know the History, Origin, worth or any information at all would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 07:41:58 pm by angelbrotherston »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Ritual/Blood Cup? Marked "GREECE" on the bottom
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 10:24:21 pm »
My first thought was that the open-mouthed faces were representative of the four winds, but it looks like there are six of them. I'm curious why you called this a ritual/blood cup? Is there some use for it that you are aware of or suspect?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:56:46 am »
Also with Greece printed on it it may be a souvenir or export item.

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:40:56 pm »
Personally I don't know of any such use for this cup, that's why I used a question mark in the Title.  But it was suggested because of the nature of the objects on the cup. Weather it's a souvenir or something a bit more profound I would like to know what it is. I am a terribly curious creature by nature and have exhausted search engines on the internet.  I have posted here before and at times no-one could give me a complete answer to my question but there were a few suggestions and within that I was able to learn a name or feature of the item and submit a new search and found volumes of information if not the answer... So, any information on like items or what the pictures or symbols represent on the cup may be a great help.  Thanks again...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:18:55 pm »
Back in the olden days they did have blood-letting cups for medicinal purposes (Phlebotomy)....and this isn't one of them.

As for any other type of ritual I personally am not familiar with them.

This more like a tourist item to me...

The one face most readily seen is the Greek God, Pan - who is the most evil form of The Devil in Greek.  Seems almost all that I can see are demonic in nature.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:26:47 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:48:50 am »
Ammon is another horned figure found in Greek Mythology .. But the structure and composition of the cup, plus the inscription on the base, will really tell you how recent this is....it definitely is not ancient, although it may be a tourist reproduction.

I'm not sure that you could describe Pan as an evil God, KC's description is probably based upon his looks and reputation..
Greek God, Pan - who is the most evil form of The Devil in Greek .. he is no oil painting for sure  ;D but neither am I ...  ;), and in Mythology there were a number of Gods that behaved a lot worse than Pan, although many of his failings were to do with young nymphs. It is maybe unfortunate that once Satan started being depicted in a similar form that Pan acquired a darker side in public culture, especially amongst some cults in the 18th and 19th centuries. And they say there's no such thing as bad publicity  ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:16:17 am by mariok54 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 10:00:37 am »
Could be a tourist item, but it could stilll be a very old and potentially valuable tourist item. Reminds me of that one item that what's her name had on here before (yeah, that's helpful, eh?). I'll go look it up lol
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:03:34 am by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 10:02:22 am »
Very different, but gives me the same vibe.
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=7733.0

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 02:00:46 pm »
mariok54 I was referring to what all my references on Greek Mythology/Pan and quoted that part of "who is the most evil form of The Devil in Greek mythology".  (Should have put quote marks.)

And the correct word for my other sentence should have been:  'Seems almost all that I can see are sinister in nature' instead of "Seems almost all that I can see are demonic in nature".

I do agree that Pan wasn't The Devil...but was very devious/deceitful, etc.  The early Christians, because of this association with deceit and his "scary" appearance, likened him to the "most evil form" of The Devil.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:23:16 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »
Hi KC,  Being half Greek I lived on a diet of Greek Mythology as a child  ;D .... and sadly forgotten so much of it over the years. But you are right, so many depictions of Pan do appear sinister, even demonic. I have a  vague recollection that he inspired a cult of witches or devil worshippers back in the 1800's ... though not a recollection from first hand experience  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 03:20:19 pm »
Actually there are several different Pans that emerged over time....

However, if you recall....the ancient Greeks believed when their herds suddenly started running or were fearful without any explanation, it was Pan who scared them. Thus the origin of the word panic - sudden and total fear.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 11:01:18 pm »
My guess on your little cup , angelbrotherston , is that it is of fairly modern manufacture (1970's & forward) , handmade & is an Ouzo cup depicting symbols & saints(?) of the nation of Greece .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 11:19:56 pm »
Pandemic , Panasonic & the other one .....
many to choose from in the panorama ...
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 01:16:36 am »
Interestingly enough, in ancient Athens the theatre culture held a festival (2nd most important in Greek culture) called Dionysia in honor of the God Dionysus or Dionysos - the God of Wine.  Masks from these evens were open mouthed and many tourist attractions sell items depicting these open mouthed Gods.  So, if not Ouzo, I would suggest for a "sip" of wine....or just merely the tourist acquisition.

angelbrotherston

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 12:53:44 am »
Thanks everyone for the information re: the Greek cup. I know I posted the question a long time ago but I am seeing the reply's now. You have given me alot to work with. I appreciate your time and expertise.