Author Topic: Antique Indian necklace  (Read 6183 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Antique Indian necklace
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 05:05:40 pm »
It's a very pretty piece and anything blue tends to sell well and can get a good price.  As long as Jeans remain the fashion, blue jewelry will always be "in" IMO.  I agree with Tales about not being turquoise tho...  However, from my 10 yrs in AZ I will say, anything turquoise is always said to be Native American whether it is or not...  ::)  Probably the same in New Mexico & TX...

As far as value goes, if you can figure out the maker, the price can rise significantly.  I adore vintage jewelry - can't wear most of it - but I love it!  It can be miniature pieces of art and well made at that.  It is sad to see much being sold for scrap on eBay (and hopefully much of it wont be).  There just isn't a ton of interest combined with a ton of inventory, which keeps the prices at rock bottom....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 05:31:54 pm »
I felt bad buying it for $2.25 I knew it was worth more than that.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 05:44:19 pm »
I think it's worth more too!!  But it is the sad state of the vintage jewelry market if you're a seller.  I would try to find out the make tho if it's signed.

One thing for sure...  You will get far more than $2.25 worth of enjoyment out of it. 

And FWIW:  Lapis is a cool stone. Rocks are another thing I like :)  I usually have a few in my pocket.  They are said to have power  :o  Whether they do or not when I reach in my pocket and feel them I'm reminded of what I wanted to focus on for the day.

Lapis is associated with the clarity of speech and with clarity of speech comes clarity of thought. Also helps heal anything associated with the throat. I think it's also a stone of love and friendship....
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 02:44:45 am »
Great find/buy!  Nice blues.

Agree you should take it to a local jeweler for identification of stones.  The hardware and connectors are the best indicators of age versus the other parts IMO on this one.  Need better pics of these.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 02:50:08 am »
Over here you wouldn't naturally make that connection between Turquoise and Native American  ... You never stop learning on this site.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:51:55 am by mariok54 »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 03:40:05 pm »
Mis. Blues here, lol I need a better camera! I took pictures of the clasp. I don't see anything. I'm trying to see if they are original.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 04:09:36 pm »
Definitely a modern "lobster claw" clasp. If the beads are antique, they have been restrung, which does happen because the string deteriorates with age. Typically you see box clasps on antique jewelry. These have a tongue spring, which slides into a box. I'll get a picture...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:12:33 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 04:17:43 pm »

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 05:42:53 pm »
Years ago I used to study books to make my purchases, now I very rarely can fine deals. It takes me forever to fine something.This brooch I bought was because it looked like the book picture. It's behind glass or I would get a better picture. I've gotten some great buys from people who don't know what they're selling. It's their fault for being lazy and not checking first. This one has a slab of turquoise in the center and supposely opals and garnets. I never had it checked. This is the same maker and similar design.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:01:40 pm by greenacres »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 09:35:59 pm »
Definitely feel your piece isn't antique or vintage by the current hardware/connectors on it.  It just has more "modern" feel overall to it - as in the past 20 - 25 years.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 10:08:29 pm »
Maybe I should stick with the books. :D

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 11:37:37 am »
I was looking for clasps on indian necklaces. I think that it common for the clasps to be changed look at these examples.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 11:46:58 am »
Truly older necklaces had handworked metal items on them - not machined.

As talesof pointed out that many have been restrung and repaired over time but the truly collectible ones "look" and have the feel of being hand made even to the detail of each bead.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 12:39:16 pm »
Native Americans today have access to the same things any other beaded necklace maker would have. The lobster claw clasp makes it unlikely that the necklace is antique or vintage. It doesn't say anything about who made it. However, I'm pretty sure it was not designed as a native american piece because it uses a variety of non-traditional materials. The lapis lazuli pretty well cinched that in my mind. I think you've got something that is modern and was put together by someone who picked the pieces because the colors went well together. I don't think there is a whole lot of deeper meaning.

There can be deep meaning in some of the Native American jewelry. I have one piece that was given to me by a friend, who had a Native American friend of hers bead it specifically for me. She asked her to make it "with lots of protection". I'm not sure what that implies, I'm guessing she would have prayed for my safety as she was making it but I really don't know. That particular necklace is just a single strand with no clasp, with drilled turquoise, and a red stone of some type, plus some silver-colored beads. It's very simple and I've always loved it.

There are also pieces that are created specifically to be sold and you can buy them directly from the artists in little roadside stands on the reservations. That is also what I feel is the best way to get kachina dolls. I have a few of those too. I feel that buying directly from the reservations not only supports the artists, but ensures what you are buying. You should be able to do the same thing online buy going directly to tribal Web sites and dealing directly with the artists.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 02:21:26 pm »
Turquoise is a protection stone and also a healing stone. Actually, from my poor memory (when I knew more of such things) Turquoise is good for many things and was a popular stone in amulets...