Author Topic: More of my Great Great Grandfathers belongings  (Read 1586 times)

tmerrifield

• View Profile
More of my Great Great Grandfathers belongings
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:09:13 pm »
Here are some of his Civil war items along with a photograph of him

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: More of my Great Great Grandfathers belongings
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:17:48 pm »
Wow, AWESOME! What a fabulous collection of his items! If you haven't already, be sure to document everything for future generations. All it takes is one careless kid to lose the history that belongs with a relic.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:01:42 pm »
Yes, WOW!  Nice grouping.  Is everything definitely from the civil war?  Just wondering as many things get mixed together as they are handed down.  Tales has some good advice and I would follow it.

It looks like he has a GAR medal on his chest but I didn't see that in the grouping.  That would be nice if you could find that.  I am assuming the photo is from a GAR reunion.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:58:10 pm »
I wonder if the leather items could benefit from being oiled? I know old leather can get extremely dry and brittle and I THINK it would be crucial for their long-term preservation. However, in the case of CW artifacts I would absolutely consult an expert before doing anything. I suspect that some oiling with period saddle oil is probably what they would recommend, but there can be a lot of different opinions about which brands would be best and I think I would check with a CW expert for long term care.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

tmerrifield

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:24:28 am »
The darker leather bag in the middle is not part of the original group.   The plate, forks and knives were his, but may not
have been from his Civil War times.
Not sure where the medal is,   I know that his uniform and some other belongings are in the Historical Society of his hometown.
Thanks for the interest-

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:54:39 am »
Great stuff and photo, its not too difficult to replace the medal as they show up at the shows from time to time.