Author Topic: New here and would love some insight!  (Read 1646 times)

AngelaH

• View Profile
New here and would love some insight!
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:10:52 pm »
I've had this cabinet since '84. I absolutely love it, but know zero about it. I guess I would love to know approx. how old it is and maybe where it comes from..it's 8' high and 4.5' wide. It seems to be all original, including the shelves inside the top part, and the wrought iron key. The carving of the head is quite thick and it's wearing a helmet.

Any info or guesses at all would be greatly appreciated! :)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: New here and would love some insight!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:00:30 pm »
Welcome Angela! If you have a bit of patience there are some wonderfully knowledgeable folk on here that may be able to help you.  I'm just making a wild guess at Italian and possibly a wine/liquor cabinet. But that is just a guess.  What I really wanted to say was I know why you love it...........WOW!!

AngelaH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:33:34 pm »
Thanks for the welcome sapphire! :)

This cabinet and finish is in near pristine condition, the one exception being a crack on one top side panel. The carvings are impeccable with no wear at all.

It's funny but when my husband brought it home (without consulting me!) I really disliked it I think because of the somewhat massive size. But it's grown on me and is my favorite piece now!

I hope someone can help. I would dearly love some history on it.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »
Have you seen any markings on the back?  Also pics of the drawers, inside, side and bottom may help...

Welcome!!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:49:38 pm »
Lovely! Kudos to your hubby for bringing it home! I will look forward to watching what others say about this one!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

AngelaH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:52:41 pm »
Not sure when I'll ever see the back,  :D but here's a few shots from different angles:

Dovetail on drawer side: