Author Topic: Info wanted about various items  (Read 1570 times)

esposk45

• View Profile
Info wanted about various items
« on: January 10, 2011, 12:05:53 am »
Hello,

I manage an upholstery shop in Wisconsin, in business since 1979. THe owner has collected scads of vintage pieces from people who didn't want them yet wouldn't trash them. He's never marketed them, but every so often someone would venture into the basement and pick something out, and pay for reupholstery.

We still have many of these pieces. I'd like to be able to say a few words about them prior to offering them on our websites. If you don't mind, I'd like to post some pix and see if any of you have any thoughts on these and how to describe them.

On a related topic, Paul (the owner) is considering offering upholstery services to people all over, who would ship their items to us and then he'd ship them back after the work was done. He feels that his handiwork is higher quality than some he's seen pictured on the Internet. (I agree.) Here is his website. Do you think this could be viable? Our community is not a wealthy one especially so it's a challenge to find the sort of people willing to really invest in good furniture.

Kathy
http://www.homeandofficeupholstery.com/
http://www.vintage.homeandofficeupholstery.com/

esposk45

• View Profile
A few more various items
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:08:21 am »
I could not post all the pix in the last email as I am limited to four.

Kathy

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Info wanted about various items
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:11:35 am »
Some nice pieces....can you post a pic of the underside of each piece?
Some close ups?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

esposk45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:35:53 am »
Sure. I'll take my camera in tomorrow. Thank you.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 01:11:00 am »
Madison has a pretty good population and is the state seat.  Do you mean that college/legislative community does not support reupholstery?  I live about 2 hrs away and some small towns here have upholsterers.  How can it be viable and cost effective to ship an antique sofa from California to Madison, WI, have it upholstered, and then ship it back?  I guess I just do not see how that could be marketed.  If I was going to have something upholstered, I would like to go to the shop, pick out the fabric, and physically see it when it was done.  Has the owner gone to the Historical Society and offered his expertise on restoration?  I think there are many venues that the owner could pursue in Madison and even down to Milwaukee as the driving distance isn't that much.