Author Topic: Is this familiar to anyone?  (Read 2980 times)

esposk45

• View Profile
Is this familiar to anyone?
« on: January 11, 2011, 03:44:55 pm »
I need to post this on our website as available for reupholstery. However, I don't know a thing about it. It was donated to the shop many years ago.

Does anyone have a guess as to age, style, etc?
Kathy

http://www.homeandofficeupholstery.com/

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Is this familiar to anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:53 pm »
You know, I've never seen one quite like that and it's a really interesting piece. I hope someone can chime in with ideas because I'd like to know about it as much as you!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:48:32 pm »
They still make double rockers today here in Texas but you sure don't see them with upholstery!

This is a really unique modern one!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:55:13 am »
Me would call that a "loveseat" but wouldn't know the vintage.

Has the finish been stripped from it?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:59:15 am »
I have seen double rocking chairs like this, but never a stationary chair. The curve of the back is suggesting to me that maybe this is a double rocker that was removed from it's rockers? Take a look at the bottom of the feet and see if you can find any evidence that this bench is "off it's rocker" to coin a phrase!  ;)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

esposk45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:22:46 am »
Yes, Paul the shop owner has mentioned that the legs seem to have been altered, shortened in some way. The back legs are cut at an  angle. I'll snap some additional pix to allow closer examination. I appreciate the comments.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 11:44:23 am »
Look at the back and see what it was originally. I have seen a few similar to yours made during the 70`s, 80`s early american period. Originally with a cane back & upholstered seat , wood was HR maple. As it is now I think it would be terribly uncomfortable to sit in with that straight back. If it were a rocker it would not be bad.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:12:32 pm »
mart, I would think it would be terribly uncomfortable to sit in it as it is now as well....but because of the bare springs!  :)  :O  Sorry, I couldn't resist!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:52:39 pm »
I think it would sell better if it were a rocker again. Right now, it's somewhat awkward...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 06:52:49 pm »
Since you are a business, I think you would have to weigh the cost of replacing the rockers, refinishing the wood and replacing the upholstery against the potential profit. You might want to just donate it to a handy-person interested in restoring it. Have you considered the possibility of restoring it at your own expense and having it serve as both interesting seating and an example of your upholstery work in your shop?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

esposk45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 08:28:21 am »
I don't imagine Paul will find time to re-do this piece just for display as we have so many others that actually might sell! But it's fun to be able to respond to discuss what it might have been at one time.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 10:40:02 am »
mart, I would think it would be terribly uncomfortable to sit in it as it is now as well....but because of the bare springs!  :)  :O  Sorry, I couldn't resist!

You got me on that one !  Just goes to show I don`t always think before I type !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 02:11:30 am »
mart...we all do that....and we all have fun with each other about it!  I have pulled some great ones in my time!