Author Topic: Please help identify this signature  (Read 5552 times)

kdj

• View Profile
Please help identify this signature
« on: January 11, 2011, 09:34:14 pm »
I thought this was a photo. Then I took it out of the original oak frame and now wonder if it's a print?
Does anyone recognize the signature? I can't read it.
Any ideas about the lady and her sheep, goat and dogs?
I wonder where this would be? How old is this and what is it's value?
Thank you for your help!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Please help identify this signature
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:42:28 pm »
What a great picture, I love it. Are you able to take pictures of the back of the frame? May help with dating. I don't recognize the signature though...

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 12:58:03 am »
A lovely image. Does it look as if it has been trimmed and so part of the signature has gone? I think the first name looks like George, but the rest...? Also odd that the signature has the same hues as the rest of the picture.
On second thoughts I don't think it is 'George' ...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:25:49 am by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:35:13 am »
Looks like a print and I think it has been trimmed to fit the frame. As to the artist,, check out George Turner. He was an English landscape artist. Not sure of the value if its a print and it had the border removed. He may have done some work in watercolors if its on paper. The paper he would have used for that feels rough to the touch and not smooth like print paper.  If it was an oil it wouls have been on wood or canvas or something similar.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:37:50 am »
Forgot to say that he was a farmer so that would account for the subject matter.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:55:07 pm »
Is it 'Georges' so possibly French?

If you have a loupe then that should give you a better idea as to what it is. What sort of paper is it on? Is there anything on the reverse of the paper?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:36:59 pm by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »
Just checked on French artists and found nothing that looked remotely similar to that last name.. with the first name Georges. It looks similar to other English prints I have seen.

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:01:55 pm »
Thank you for everyone's comments!
The picture is on a very thin "board" ... I think. (picture)
The frame is oak. Nothing on the back of the print/photo. Colors or lack of reminds me of sepia.
Could be trimmed, or just came that way.
Maybe the trim on her dress or the wood umbrella handle are clues?
And look at her foot! I believe she has a hole in her stocking! And what kind of shoe is that?
I just got home from work so I will look up George Turner, and check back with you all. Thanks so much! This is fun!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 06:09:54 pm »
From your edge shot it looks like it is attached to the board backing, not painted on. Could be a sepia print. It looks like it was reframed as the artist would have had his name completely within the picture and not on the border I think. I would see if you can lift a corner of it from the backing board. Of course we cannot see the picture like you can but you should be able to tell if its just a print that, over the years, has stuck to the board.

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 06:57:59 pm »
The paper is attached to the backing. The picture itself will not lift but on an edge I can see that where it shows some minor chipping it is thin.  Parts of this picture look like originally it was a painting, then other features look so real as if a photo.
About the signature... 1st name Go.ges
Could that last name start with F...v or is it T...v
Good grief!
I also looked up G. Turner but did not see anything similar.
Thanks for helping!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 12:43:17 am »
To me it looks like a photograph, or a print taken from a photo (even so, an old one). Although the detail is quite poor (no offence) it still seems to have the quality of a photo rather than a painting, but a closer look would be needed (certainly for my tired eyes). This is where a good viewing with a loupe would be valuable. Could you take a close-up of the signature?
The close up of the shoe is very fuzzy (again to my eyes), but is that a clog?  :-\

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:00:23 pm »
Here is a close up, as good as I can get it.
The print/photo signature is no better than you are seeing. I tried clarifying in photoshop but that didn't help much.
I'm pretty sure there is a v in the last name.
I think those shoes are clogs. The other foot under the goat, although hard to see, at least looks like a regular foot.
The other one is a funny angle.
You mention a loupe. Where would I get one and will it enable me to see the letters in the name even tho' they seem blurry?
I tried a magnifying glass but that didn't clear things up.
Thanks again for your time and suggestions!!!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 08:09:09 pm »
There is a technique where they paint over a photo. I've had it done. I'll show you so you'll see what I mean. It wasn't a good job so you'll understand. So if you think it was a photo and painted it's possible.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:13:03 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:19:30 pm »
Thanks! If I could find out whose signature it is, then it may be possible to research that artist and learn more about this picture.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:45 am »
You mention a loupe. Where would I get one and will it enable me to see the letters in the name even tho' they seem blurry?

You can buy these small magnifiers very inexpensively, and a must have if you ever wander around antique centres and so on. The loupe might not help with the signature ... some of the others may have an idea but I've exhausted all my  ideas ... but with it you may be able to tell whether it was originally a painting or even a photo touched up with paint (really so hard to tell from those photos).

I was even considering that the last word might be Janvier, which could be a surname, or even standing for January ... but that's probably just a flight of fancy!!!