Author Topic: Birthday Gift  (Read 5492 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Birthday Gift
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:12:57 am »
Didn't want to hijack tales' post like I always do, so I figured I'd start a new one. I got this from my mom for my birthday today. I don't have too many questions except about age. When I first saw it, I thought it was from the 20's. But I was wondering if it is 1880's-90's since a few sites say they switched to The Globe-Wernicke company in 1899. It looks terrible in the pics but it looks much better in person. The patina is dark and warm in person, I love it! Thanks for any input! By the way, it still has most of the filing stuff inside and I even found a receipt from 1903 for Fleischmann's Yeast. :)
http://www.officemuseum.com/filing_equipment_cabinets.htm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:35:20 am by hosman321 »

waywardangler

Re: Birthday Gift
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:35:48 am »
OMG!  I love it !  Are those drawers 8x11 or smaller?  Doesn't make any difference as I could find any number of items to store in there.  GREAT item, hosman!

A little Old English on there and it will look even better.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:37:25 am by waywardangler »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:50:08 am »
Thanks wayward! The drawers are 12"x11" but they are open-back. I was pretty disappointed when I saw that because I'm trying to figure out what I can store in all of them. I'll either use it for dvds, postcards & photographs or as a filing cabinet for our mountain of papers. The whole thing is 43" long x 30" high. I really love it. I used old english on it and it looks great. I sure wish my camera didn't bring out every detail on it.  :-\

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:30:17 am »
What a terrific gift!  Wow!  Really like that!  I would gets lotsa use outta that if I had it!

Hope you gave her a bunch of big hugs!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:42:14 am »
That looksa lovely piece, Hosman, and as Wayward said... I'd also find a million and one uses for it!! I think Tales mentions somewhere that furniture needs to earn its keep in her home, same here! (apologies, Tales, if I've misquoted you)

And a happy belated Birthday to you  ;D

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:47:59 am »
Thanks mariok! But my birthday is the 23rd so you're actually early. So was my mom. :)
It's hard to find uses when the drawers don't have a back. Everything would roll out the back when the drawer gets pulled out. But I'll find a use, I'm sure. ;)

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 04:02:05 am »
Ha!  Well at least I was early for a change. If it wasn't for my diary no-one would get a card anywhere near their birthday! Could you knock up some temporary backs without damaging the actual drawers? Might be fiddly but it would mean you wouldn't be limiting yourself so much. It is a lovely piece.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 06:55:23 am »
It's hard to find uses when the drawers don't have a back.

How about close-up picture of the back and maybe someone will posit an idea to remedy that problem. ;) ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:58:17 am »
Its a beautiful piece. And a great birthday gift.  Does it look like the drawers ever had backs?  Its odd that they would not have them unless it was specific to a use.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 07:42:14 am »
hosman, firstly .........Love it!!

Secondly, any chance there are slots/grooves that run front to back in the bottom of those drawers?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 09:33:40 am »
Whoa Hosman! That is just AWESOME!! What a wonderful cabinet!! LOVE love love it!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 09:46:37 am »
Your cabinet pre-dates 1904 because the Globe Company became Globe-Wernicke in '04.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Antiques-682/Globe-Wernicke-Company.htm
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 09:54:44 am »
Hosman - It's a great piece!  Tons of use for that.  Agree with Cougar and Mario it shouldn't be to hard to fix the back problem without forever changing them...  Post some pics of the drawers.  Would love to see how/why they wouldn't have a back to begin with...

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 10:32:59 am »
Drawers with no backs?  I would have them backed but would have to see how they pull out first.  Do they roll out and stay there or can you pull a drawer completely out?  The latter would be easy to do but just a little time consuming for so many drawers.

Hosman's birthday, when it comes up, will be listed in the "Upcoming Calendar" inset.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:45:25 am »
hosman, I was thinking they may have been like a single file box I was handed down, no back ....just a small lip at the rear, but a slot that accommodated a rod (front to back) on which an adjustable metal back ran.

Then your first pic clicked in my brain (must be a good day  ;) ) and I went back to the link you provided.  It this the issue you're up against ??