Author Topic: Need date for heavy brass pot with steel handle,,  (Read 4511 times)

mart

• View Profile
Need date for heavy brass pot with steel handle,,
« on: January 21, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »
OK I should have said saucepan instead of pot. I thought I had seen every cooking pot in existance but I missed this one!   It weighs 2 1/2 lbs, handle is 7 1/2 inches and is hollow steel. Pot is brass with no markings and has a small pour spout.  It holds over one liter if filled to the top but 1 liter will fill it as one would if cooking something. Wouldn`t want it to boil over !!  What I can`t figure is it really doesn`t seem to be made with women in mind. Its more like something a guy would use. No comfort handle on this one ! How the handle attaches is strange to me as well.  Can anyone shed light on this ?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Need date for heavy brass pot with steel handle,,
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:01:22 pm »
It may be used for measuring liquids since it has the pour spout, especially since it holds exactly one litre. Or it may be for warming sauces. What is the diameter (distance across) of the bowl?

I might be totally off-base with this thought, but it reminds me of a Chinese silk iron. These were used to iron the wrinkles out of silk robes. The bowl was made of brass or bronze, which transferred the heat from the coals to the fabric. Usually they are much more ornate though. Here's the most undecorated one I could find:

Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:40 pm »
Its 3 1/4 inches deep, and 7 inches across if you measure from the pour spout across, 6 1/4 in. if you measure from the handle across.  The way its attached at the handle just looks,, well I call it primitive !!  As for measuring there are no marks for that and I just used that because its what I measured with. One liter leaves about an inch of space at the top.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 11:44:19 pm »
OK I think it is too big to be a silk iron. I kinda figured that with the pour spout that it was meant for liquids.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:39:42 am »
Among other things it could have be used to dip the applebutter out of the brass applebutter kettle as it cooked on the open fire.

way its attached at the handle just looks,, well I call it primitive !!

That is the standard way most all bails and handles were affixed to old/primitive copper or brass kettles, pots, dippers, etc. ..... for support, ..... to prevent the soft brass/copper from cracking/tearing (called metal fatigue) due to the weight of its contents being lifted.

Large kettles have a steel ring around the top to prevent the kettle from collapsing.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:24:32 am »
Could be but I am from the south,,,if it isn`t cast iron it isn`t used here much. Just bought it to sell on ebay and thought I needed to find out a bit more history on it. Its the first one I have seen that wasn`t oriental. Anyone know an approx. value? Not much I know but I need to start it at something..

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:00:12 am »
$.99 and let it ride...or what you paid to cover your cost at least.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 04:27:50 pm »
Okay, here goes.  I know of two uses that these were used for over the fires.

1) to boil fruits/sugars to make jams
2) to scald milk

They were made extra strong/heavy to be used over open fires in the late 1800's to early 1900's and this style is still popular.  You will find this style is generally from France.

You might want to google....I would sure ask alot more than .99 wayward.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:30:04 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 07:00:56 pm »
I know the copper pots are from France but is brass??? I found one in  the UK with the same handle but made differently. Mine is solid brass, no seams , made of one piece . The one in the UK said it was Victorian/Edwardian and was much lighter weight and seamed at the handle and bottom.  I have googled all that I can think of and found nothing like it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:30:57 pm »
Found one with similar handle

http://www.oldtools.com/FAshop.html

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 10:00:14 pm »
KC, it is a starting point and hopefully not a finishing price.  It should be an auction to get bidders interested.  I have been looking at a seller's offerings on eBay and her sales % is like 8% because her starting bids are at retail prices.  I am not talking $9.99 but $48.95, $98.95, $325.00, etc. 

I recently looked at a folk art painting that started at $.99 and sold for $260.00.  If the item one is listing has value and demand, $.99 to start means nothing.  The final bid is what rules.

Seamless brass would mean it was stamped or spun and not molded in all likelyhood.  From the pic it looks like it was stamped to me.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:53:17 pm »
I think KC is in the ballpark , with the scalding-pot (could be for hot choc , for my best guess) .
Brass seems just too reactive to be used for citrus ... copper is reacitve , but it does work for this (fruits) .

Cool little hevi-duti pot , mart !
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:57:55 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 05:47:56 am »
Hey ... I've got an old brass pan like that one you've posted, Cogar, and we use it to scoop the chicken food!!!  Looks like we'll have to take another look at it   ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 10:24:41 am »
Yep !  That looks like the one I have.   Its interesting anyway.  Think I will start it at $2.99 since thats what I gave for it. Anything over that is profit !   I have been doing a collection of salt and pepper shakers and I am really getting tired of those.  Need something different..  Thanks everyone !