Author Topic: Vinyl Records...  (Read 3598 times)

RickyC

• View Profile
Vinyl Records...
« on: January 22, 2011, 04:57:38 pm »
We have several Records (LP's) From artists such as Al Jolson, The Ray Herbeck Orchestra, Gene Krupa and his Orchestra, Etc. Can anyone give me some Ideas of how to date these? I have been on the net and cannot find info on the albums. Maybe a web site with this kind of info or books to purchase? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.. ???

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vinyl Records...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:14:26 pm »
I assume these are 33 1/3 ??  I have albums of them but haven`t looked up too many. Some will have the date on the album itself on the paper in very fine print. Have you checked?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:13:09 am »
From artists such as Al Jolson, The Ray Herbeck Orchestra, Gene Krupa and his Orchestra, Etc. Can anyone give me some Ideas of how to date these?

Click here: .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jolson

Skip down to: ... Famous songs

RickyC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:10:12 am »
What I have is larger than a 33 1/3. More like a 78 and much thicker than records I am used to.

After posting I was scanning the labels and one of them had a date on it. (Sept. Of 1937) I also notice they all had the word "Phonograph" in small print on the outside rim of the label. I had noted the heavier weight of what I has holding and thought it odd. Are these played on like a Victrola type player? I guess they would have to be with that  year date..   HMM...   ::)

Thanks for your input and I will check out the web site in the second reply.

I will be back with more questions soon..   Lol... 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 10:40:50 am »
OK ,, Yes 78 rpm are Victrola records and are mostly glass. Thats why they are so heavy and thick. You said vinyl originally so I thought you were talking about a more modern re-make.  We have a bunch of those as well and a Victrola to play them on !!  Its a wonder at how music has progressed.  Be careful with those old records,, they break same as glass !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:10:45 pm »
Are these played on like a Victrola type player? I guess they would have to be with that  year date..   HMM...

If your record player has a "speed selector" knob that says "78" then it will play them.

I just checked, one can still buy a new one that plays them all -33 1/3, 45 & 78 rpm.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 01:26:38 pm »
I forgot that the older ones had all three speeds !!

RickyC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 03:59:59 pm »
Thanks again guys, I wasn't sure of what they were made of so I went with vinyl. Glass makes sense with the weight. Looking through what I got I found a few of them broken. Boo..  Lol... None of these have the covers. They are in ratty brown paper. Some are in books but are torn apart apparently due to age and use.  Value is going to be interesting to find. Looks like I'm going to have to find a record player with three speeds or maybe a Victrola. Or maybe someone to buy them..  ;)  Lol.... Who knows..    :)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 06:35:02 am »
Thanks again guys, I wasn't sure of what they were made of so I went with vinyl. Glass makes sense with the weight.

I would feel bad if I continued to let you think that.

Produced from shellac resin, 78s became synonymous with disposability because they shattered if the user dropped them.

Read more: Information on the History of 78 RPM Records | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6599745_information-history-78-rpm-records.html#ixzz1BxI97n9o

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 06:51:37 am »
Mmmm,, Interesting,, I always thought the resin was a coating !!  Never thought to look it up.  Amazing what one can learn after all these years !!

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 08:51:41 am »
There is some use in the antique world for melting down a 78 and using the liquid but I cannot remember why.  All sorts of art are made from melted, softened records, especially 78s.  Most 78s are scratched, common, worthless, and poor quality.  Shellac is derived from insects.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 09:55:48 am »
I have seen the old 33 1/3 albums centered over a form and put in the oven till they soften and drop down. They can be used as planters or fruit bowls or such since they have a hole in the bottom. They will take the shape of whatever you use as a form when cool.

RickyC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:21:17 pm »
Well Heck..   I just keep learning. Lol..  Shellac also makes sense as far as weight. I hadn't thought about resin ether. But hey, I'm a newbie..  haha..
I'm going to try the record melting thing. Just gotta find some crappy records. Lol..
You guys are a great big help! Thanks a bunch. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 06:10:10 am »
Records are produced via a molding/stamping process bout the same way that coins are made.

They create a "master" recording on a metal disc ...... and the use it to "stamp" copies in the soft resin or vinyl, ........ stamping them out like popcorn popping.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 06:53:42 am »
Be careful with the heat on those things, use only a very low temp.  They will probably burn if high heat is used.